kicking my caffeine habit...

oldschoolsdime92

So with my taking better care of myself, i have decided it is time to make mention of my caffeine addiction. My normal day goes like this.

20-30 oz of coffee within an hour of being awake.

lunchtime

an additional 20 oz of coffee

Dinner time

Ice Tea, and if not ice tea, I will proceed to have 2-4 cups of coffee ( 8 oz) depending how the days been.

This has really started to take a toll on me. anxiety, loss of sleep, stomach issues due to the acidity of said coffee.

Has anyone here kicked a caffeine habit? What did you do to control withdraw?

I was drinking 6-8 cups a day at one point. Spend a weekend on this, deal with the headache, take some ibuprofin, stay really hydrated and try to sleep off the headache. I usually switch to an energy drink when I'm trying to cut out coffee, energy drinks don't give me withdrawl headaches like coffee does.

I kicked the caffeine habit. (mine was Coca-Cola) I switched to every other drink decaf and then every third and such until I was drinking all decaf. I then slowly cut pop out all together. That was in 2008. I am still pop and caffeine free. I still crave it a lot though.

Good Luck!!!

I'd say I probably average 5+ pots of coffee a day wouldn't dream of giving it up

its not by choice. Its causing me trouble due to the acid, and caffeine making the muscle tissue soft where your esophagus connects to your stomach. I've been on prilosec for awhile, and its just not making the cut anymore.

Never liked coffee, I'm lucky being a morning person :p

I've went from a 5-8 cans of pop a day (This is just during my 8 hour shift at work) to 5-8 bottles of water. I maybe have 1-2 cans a week with the occasional Monster.

I had headaches for the first few days but I would just take an aspirin an deal with it.

One of my buddies in high school was addicted to Amp energy drinks. His mom had to take all of his money and wean him off of them very slowly. Good luck kicking the habit. When i quit chewing tobacco, I had to find something else to do that replaced it for me, So I started chewing gum because it reminded me of it. Try finding a healthy replacement for coffee!

Just quit, cold turkey. It's coffee/caffeine we're talking about here not heroin. Take a few advil if you get a headache and you'll be good. The physical addiction is not nearly as powerful as the mental addiction. If you have the will-power to say you're done and stick to it, it should be easy.

I'm horrid with the energy drinks, I drink 4-8+ a day... Damn Java monsters are just so tasty and go.down like water :(

DAMN!!! Have you tried water?

To the OP: I did it once cold turkey. I drank lots of water snd unsweetened ice tea with meals. I quit for over a year and have gotten back into drinking diet soda and unsweetened ice tea. I usually have 2-20oz bottles of diet on work days. At home I do unsweetened ice tea for the most part unless we go out. I didn't have the headaches w when I quit, but I lost 20+ pretty quick.

^^^ same here with the weight loss.

Pop an bottle water are free at work so that was the hard part for me due to it always being available. Now I just keep the fridge stocked with water and drink mass amounts of it before I go home. At home I have a gallon jug I keep refilling with water.

I'm horrid with the energy drinks, I drink 4-8+ a day... Damn Java monsters are just so tasty and go.down like water :(

That's pisising away a lot of money. How much does that add up to in a day, month, year? That would be a payment for a sweet motorcycle.

Hell diet is worse for you than regular

Depends who you ask. And if you give me the lab rat stuff my parents ramble about the rats were given extreme amounts. 2ndly you have die somehow. 3rdly high fructose corn syrup in regular soda has been linked to cancer. 4thly I'm not going try and cut soda out right now with my wife pregnant and hormonal. I do need to cut it out, but now isn't the time. :)

Decrease the caffeine in half each day.

Try switching to decaf from some of you coffee or mix decaf and regular grounds.

Then substitute tea for the coffee or just water.

I usually drink a couple cups a day and even at that rate if I skip a day Ill get a headache.

If you just quite cold turkey the headache will be killer.

I try to occassionally (once or twice a year) go a week without coffee.

I usually cut to 1 cup the first day. Tea the second day then go without on the third.

Craig

I just kicked the coffee habit a few months ago. My wife told me to taper off slowly over a few weeks, but being a tough guy, I quit cold turkey. By 6 in the evening I had a bad headache, and a few hours later it was so bad I was nauseous and nearly incapacitated. I then drank a few cups of coffee and it was the middle of the night before the pain and nausea eased.

From that point on I listened to my wife and reduced my coffee intake by one cup per week. It took me a month to get off it completely.

Just quit, cold turkey. It's coffee/caffeine we're talking about here not heroin. Take a few advil if you get a headache and you'll be good. The physical addiction is not nearly as powerful as the mental addiction. If you have the will-power to say you're done and stick to it, it should be easy.

The physical addiction to caffeine is pretty bad but it is short lived.

However it is also painless if you taper off rather than go cold turkey. So why not avoid the pain :huh:

Craig

GF and I gave up soda a month ago. Just got tried of 'needing' it. I really love Coca-Cola and agreed to have one per week. Iv'e been drinking so much of that stuff since I was a kid (remember 3 liter bottles). So far we have stuck with it. First few days sucks, feeling bad.

Study after study shows links to poor health and soda (diet or regular).

The calories really add up and drinking soda doesn't make you eat less, so I would consume 400-800 calories more per day just due to soda.

I already drank a lot of water, now I just drink more.

My issue is that I don't like many other drinks.

Going to lunch is weird drinking water.

I'm going to lose 10-15 lbs.

Biggie

Just an FYI. My dad had a doctors appointment a few weeks ago and the doctor told him that decaf coffee isn't 100% caffeine free. The doctor basically told him if it doesn't say caffeine free, it isn't. Last time I did this and need to do it again I just went cold turkey. The headaches the following day suck but it's worth it.

Just an FYI. My dad had a doctors appointment a few weeks ago and the doctor told him that decaf coffee isn't 100% caffeine free. The doctor basically told him if it doesn't say caffeine free, it isn't. Last time I did this and need to do it again I just went cold turkey. The headaches the following day suck but it's worth it.

Caffeine is naturally present in coffee. Decaffeinated coffee goes through a process to remove the caffeine. Ofcourse this process is not 100% effective and it is the reason decaffeinated coffee tastes odd.

Soda on the other hand has caffeine added. So if they dont add it, soda can be caffeine free.

When trying to reduce caffeine decaffeinated coffee can be a useful tool as it has far less caffeine than regular and tastes almost the same.

Craig