Blu-ray player vs ps3

cOoTeR

Ok when it comes to home theater stuff I'm pretty far behind the curve. I still use a regular dvd player for movies and my tv is a 720p plasma. Is it even worth getting a blu-ray player? Eventually I'll probably upgrade my tv to a 1080 or even a 3D once the prices drop because I'm cheap like that. I don't really play video games that much but I used to enjoy them back in the day. I'm not a gamer nut by any means but I think if I bought something more entertaining than the wii I've got I may play a little more.

I would like to get a wifi enabled player for the netflix and crap like that. I'm supposed to close on my new house this month but its in BFE and the internet options are limited. What kind of internet speeds are needed to be able to stream movies without too many issues?

I'm thinking about buying a used blu-ray player or ps3 do they both provide equal quality as far as picture and streaming capabilities? Is it worth buying the ps3 if I'm only going to play games occasionally?

Last DVD player we got was Blue Ray. Our TV is 1080 plasma so any HD on it is pretty awesome. The Super Bowl is just like being there without emptying the bank acct...lol

Our DVD will play either BR or non BR dvd's, and I've noticed that with some movies the BR makes little diff in picture quality, but with some like the Marvel Avengers movie, or Battleship, movies with great special effects, it can really enhance all the action. Consider prices anymore have dropped for BR players I would bet a good one that will play BR or non BR discs, and then enjoy!

just my $.02......

Le sigh, here we go...DVD's are not HD, at all, ever. So your 720p tv is only displaying 480i, so upgrading to a BR player yes you will see a noticeable difference as long as you are using a HDMI cable. If you are not going to get an HDMi cable, do not bother buying a BR player or PS3. All BR players will play DVD's and will actually upconvert them to 1080p, makes it look a little bit better. Most BR players are internet connected and have netflix, etc built in. However living in the boonies you would need to get high speed something or other. I saw Hughesnet has 15mbps now, which would be more than sufficient (8mbps would be fine). Only downside is Hughesnet puts a per day cap on the surfing, not sure what the cap is on those plans.

PS3 is a do it all machine, 3D capability is built in, you can actually surf the web with it (i recommend a bluetooth keyboard/mouse for that), quick to load, quality is the same or better than any BR player out there, all streaming services are available.

Qualifications: worked at HHGregg for 2 years as salesperson and manager (actually gave a shit about the job), I have a PS3, BR player, HT setup, and my parents live in the boonies and use Hughesnet.

Blu Ray plays DVDs and Blu Ray discs, and depending on model, can surf the web and do other things too.

PS3 does this as well, and plays PS3 games.

By the time you get a fully equipped Blu Ray, you're nearly to the price of a PS3. If you see yourself as a gamer, spend the extra money.

/thread

Component video will do 720p, have to use hdmi for 1080p. If your current tv would happen to not have hdmi, don't let that be a deterrent from you buying. I would say that if you can squeeze your wallet hard enough to come up with the money for the PS3, go for it. Myself, I went the Blu-Ray player route, because we have the other 2 game systems (Xbox 360, and Wii.)

For internet connection speed, you're going to have to find out what you CAN get, post that info, and see what experiences others have had with that level of service.

Are all ps3's 3D capable or just the newer ones? I've been looking at some used ones. The next tv I get may be 3D as long as no unexpected expenses come up after buying this new house. I have a couple of hdmi cables one I bought and two that I received when we had our dish installed and relocated.

Are all ps3's 3D capable or just the newer ones? I've been looking at some used ones. The next tv I get may be 3D as long as no unexpected expenses come up after buying this new house. I have a couple of hdmi cables one I bought and two that I received when we had our dish installed and relocated.

All are 3d. Was simply a software update. The hardware is in them already.

We have a BR player and an Xbox. The video looks the same, but the Xbox gets hot and cuts out after awhile. We only use the blue ray for movies now. The Xbox never gets hot and cuts out while playing games. Something to think about.

I say get both. A new BR player is only about a Hundo.

find yourself a used PS3 (fixing them, IF they go bad, is not terribly difficult). if you get one of the early models, you can play just about all the PS and PS2 games. newer ones, i've heard they have issues, but i dunno first hand. test before you buy, unless you're buying from a well known retailer with a solid warranty.

One of the advantages I like about my PS3, is I can stream my extensive MP3 collection on the computer, to it, through WI-FI, and on through to my surround sound.

Of course, you can do this with other file types to, such as pictures, or AVI movies. Just have to setup the network sharing on your computer for what you want to share.

One of the advantages I like about my PS3, is I can stream my extensive MP3 collection on the computer, to it, through WI-FI, and on through to my surround sound.

Of course, you can do this with other file types to, such as pictures, or AVI movies. Just have to setup the network sharing on your computer for what you want to share.

Many BD players can do this, too.

Thanks, yep I am.

Brand new in the box still. Has a second controller included with the bundle...I'll be in Columbus on the 15th.

Sent via mobile

I've been thinking of a blu-ray for awhile. Looking at your thread made me start to lean more towards the ps3.

I notice the come in various GB sizes. Is that for storing music and stuff along with saving your spot in a game? Is there more to the amount of GB than that? Would I be able to use it to upload/play the HD videos from my helmet cam (its a contour if it matters)?

I've been thinking of a blu-ray for awhile. Looking at your thread made me start to lean more towards the ps3.

I notice the come in various GB sizes. Is that for storing music and stuff along with saving your spot in a game? Is there more to the amount of GB than that? Would I be able to use it to upload/play the HD videos from my helmet cam (its a contour if it matters)?

In all honesty, I'm not completely sure. As far as the various GB sizes, I believe you are correct, store game data, internet cache, games movies music etc that are downloaded onto the system.

If I had to guess about uploading video, I would have to imagine it can be done. I'm just not sure if, as someone mentioned above, you may have to upload to a computer and then share the file with the PS3.

Sent via mobile

Oh fwiw, I bought one for myself just for netflix, hulu, blu-ray, etc. Gaming was the secondary function.

When I bought mine, my dad had interest so he got one then decided he didn't need it, hence why the one I'm selling is still in the box, never been opened.

Sent via mobile

Another option for high speed internet service in the boonies is Exceed.

However both satellite internet services have monthly data caps similar to your phone data plans (but usually higher). They will have no problem streaming movies but if you start streaming movies or TV on a regular basis you will quickly exceed the data caps.

Land lines will be better if you plan to stream video much beyond a few youtube videos every day.

Craig

Everyone has hit on some good points, so here is my 2 cents. I have used a blue ray, an Xbox, a PS3 and a Roku for various streaming and HD content. The best device for streaming via internet or via local media on a PC is by far the Roku. Best device out right now hand down if you don't need to play physical media. It does Plex which is an awesome media organizer/browser and is what I primarily use since most of my content is on my computer. Not to mention it is extremely quick when comparing to the other devices.

The best for physical media is probably going to be a blue ray player. It is quiet, easy to use, cheap, and can do a lot of the stuff a Roku can, just not quite as much and sometimes not as well. Many do Plex now BUT in my experience, it is not as robust as the Roku and does not stream media from a PC as well. Sony makes a nice blue ray and it has the same interface as the PS3. Samsung and LG blue rays tend to be junk though, I should know, I used to see what was returned and what wasnt at best buy and 3 out of 5 people would return the samsung and buy the sony. I even did it when I bought one for my parents.

The best bang for your buck, or do-it-all device is the PS3. It has a large selection of streaming services(which all work very well), as well as can play blue rays AND games. They even have the super slim model now which cuts down on noise and power consumption by A LOT. Down side is you can not use universal remotes with the PS3 without special adapters.

I bought Dustins ps3. I just remembered my tv only has 1 hdmi input if I remember right. I looked online to see if they had a device that would allow me to have my ps3 and my dish box plugged in at the same time that way I don't have to unplug them each time I want to switch to the other device. I did a search online for "hdmi splitter" and all I could find was a device that allowed 1 device to be hooked to 2 displays. Is anyone aware of anything that will allow me to hook 2 devices to 1 display? I used to have a box that you could plug input cables from 2 sources into and it had 1 output all you had to do was flip the switch on the box to change the source without unplugging anything. But that was for the old school s cable hook up.