Stretching Swing Arm

Buckeye4Life

I've already upgraded the rear shock with one from a Katana 600. Suspension was the only truly "bad" thing on a GS

The best you could find was from a Kat 600? My (limited) understanding of stretching the swingarm would lead me to believe there was even MORE force on the rear shock as the center of gravity becomes all fuckered with the wheel all the way out there. I would have found something that could handle more weight and was smoother, like that of a Busa.

You probably already know this, but it bears repeating: Once plasma cutter touches swingarm, there is a 99.5% probability that you will never, ever, sell that bike. If you're fine with that, and are willing to take this hobby and inevitable money pit for what it is, then that's fine, you're a big boy and can make your own decisions. I'm also not discounting you finding some poser with more money than brains that'll buy it off you, but that's a RARE find.

As far as the engineering of cutting and welding the swingarm goes, I'm sure there are plenty of welders on here that can give you more qualified advice than I can. It's one thing to be able to weld a water-tight box, and quite another to weld a swingarm that's going to stay rigid and not flex at 80MPH with 200lbs of rider on top.

The nice thing about the Katana shock is that it's a direct swap that doesn't raise the rear end any. the GS rear shock is soft. My other options were off of an R6 (with a negligible difference) or a Katana 750 (way too stiff). An SV650 and 1000 shock both raise the tail about 3" and are still direct swaps.

I do not condone this in any way what-so-ever and I think you're a huge squid.

However,

I did this for a guy in exchange for painting my bike.

Bent sheet to match rail extrusions:

Extended1_zps16141a72.jpg

Chopped, squared up, beveled edges:

Extended2_zps3e792fcf.jpg

Jigged, welded/fishplated on insides, then welded an angle rail on the bottom:

Extended4_zps98fa1a37.jpg

Extended 10" vs stock (For a CBR 600 :rolleyes:):

Extended3_zps8f1c7c34.jpg

I do not condone this in any way what-so-ever and I think you're a huge squid.

Maybe eventually I'll work the squid out of myself. Thanks for the straightforward answer. Same process if I'm only doing 3-4" right?

Also, did you fishplate and support the reattached section underneath?

Take a look at either Evil or Hardcore Swingarms. They make some ridiculously long arms for grudge style drag bikes usually in chromoly steel. They may be able to help you or at least you can look at the pics on their website for ideas.

Later, Doug

See.... This is why i havent (and probably wont) post pics of mine which im having my CBR stretched 6". I love how what someone likes the looks of is so pissed on by others just cause its not their style. I ride...... For me, for the enjoyment and nothing else. I dont ride hard and dont do the twisties n such, cause its to damn expensive to fix if ya screw up. Im doin the stretch for that "show" style bike so when i put it on display not only does the paint job grab attention but it has the overall "custom" look. So go for it.... If thats the look you like.

I love riding way too much to put the bike up.

Riding a stretched bike, isn't riding its just rolling around. Once you streach that thing you will ruin the bike for the type of "riding" it was intended to do. You should hit the twisties with some of us this season and maybe that will change your mind on wanting to stretch it and the riding style you want to commit to.

But if your mind is made up listen to Mr. Rawlins he knows his metal work.

Riding a stretched bike, isn't riding its just rolling around. Once you streach that thing you will ruin the bike for the type of "riding" it was intended to do. You should hit the twisties with some of us this season and maybe that will change your mind on wanting to stretch it and the riding style you want to commit to.

But if your mind is made up listen to Mr. Rawlins he knows his metal work.

THIS!

Riding a sport bike, with people that KNOW how to ride and use the bike as intended is way different then just riding around.. when i first purchased my sport bike, for awhile i was content on just rolling around because i came off a cruiser and sport bikes are WAY faster.. then i learned to ride the bike like it was intended. needless to say just rolling around is pretty boring.. i tend to go out of my way when riding to work or the store or what not to hit a twisty here and there. nothing better then riding the twisties.

BUT - on a side not, i do enjoy the way SOME of the stretched bikes look. given that most of the ones i see are for just show. and keep in mind once you stretch it, without doing blocks, your bike will never ride the way you knew it to. no more twisty fun, just cruising.