Gun Industry supply, demand and shortages

Gump

It's from a email and I didn't confirm it. I'd ignore the last two comments.

Subject: Status of Gun Industry Supply & Demand

Doug Ross has several important info updates about the status of the gun industry currently, followed by an inventory update. We traveled to Texas for Industry meetings concerning the shortages, here's what we were told:

Smith & Wesson-is running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages.

RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days.

FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1. Remington-Maxed out!

Armalite: Maxed out.

DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product.

COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's.

LWRC:Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels.

Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind.

AMMO: Every caliber is now allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible with 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by law enforcement, and civilians are third in line.

MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon.

RELOADERS... ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes... it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up. Sorry for the bleak news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we'll keep you posted.

Bow Owens says they didn’t know when they’d be getting anything back in stock, from magazines to rifles to pistols. Manufacturers were running full-bore, but couldn’t come close to keeping up with market demand. It wasn’t just the AR-15s, the AK-pattern rifles, the M1As, and the FALs that were sold out. It really hit me when I realized that the World War-era M1 Garands, M1 carbines, and Enfield .303s were gone, along with every last shell.

Ubiquitous Mosin-Nagants -- of which every gun store always seems to have 10-20 -- were gone. So was their ammo. Only a dust-free space marked their passing. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Every weapon of military utility designed within the past 100+ years was gone. This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war.

Barack Obama, Dianne Feinstein and the rest of the Statists have done more to promote gun ownership than the NRA ever did. Well done, Democrats.

I think a lot of stores are controlling stock.

I had some mags that I ordered that got lost in the mail. As with most sites, the mags were out of stock within an hour of me ordering. I ended up getting all of my order that got lost re-sent to me within a week. Within that time there were no notifications of a change in inventory status. How did they have mags to reimburse me with if they don't have any in their inventory?

I'm not complaining about it as this helped me out that they were in stock. I do feel like it sucks there are others waiting to purchase items that stores seem to have, just don't have listed in stock and are saying there is no stock over the phone.

Somebody wants us to arm ourselves (and spend a lot of money). That's reality.

The question is why.

The only good answer any one can come up with, is that it boosts the economy.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry, the tin foil hat got nothing for answers... (this week, anyway)

And yes, it's going to take a while to calm down and get things back in stock.

Looking at a model like this, its easy to see why people become preppers.

Not everyone owns guns, but everyone eats. Imagine a disaster that would cause a food shortage. An entire grocery store could be cleared in a day or so. Shit, close down 71 in one direction and you have just created a bottleneck that can alter drive time by hours.

Our infrastructure is weaker than everyone thinks, but not many are ready to admit it.

• Upvote 1

i find it very difficult to believe that Smith only produces 300~ firearms per day - that's roughly 110,000 per year.

Ruger sold (and I presume made) over 1 million last year.

I also find it difficult that in these "lean manufacturing" times, that all firearms mannys weren't already running at 100%, or very close to it.

got nothin' else to add at this point.

Looking at a model like this, its easy to see why people become preppers.

Not everyone owns guns, but everyone eats. Imagine a disaster that would cause a food shortage. An entire grocery store could be cleared in a day or so. Shit, close down 71 in one direction and you have just created a bottleneck that can alter drive time by hours.

Our infrastructure is weaker than everyone thinks, but not many are ready to admit it.

This is part of the reason why I started a small garden this last year. Not necessarily that I'm growing enough food to feed myself, but I realized that I don't know shit about surviving without a grocery store down the road. Anyway, I've learned a lot about a few plants, and I think I'm on my way to actually producing some fruits and veggies for myself :) I hope that this can just remain a fun hobby and not a necessity.

I read that another thing to consider is the order in which ammo orders will be filled. The govt 1st, Leo's 2nd and retailers 3rd. While normally this is prudent, considering the govt has been buying up huge caches of .40 cal's along with other sizes, it could be even longer for this all to filter down to the retail level and I'm betting the pricing will reflect the law of 'supply and demand'. The last gunshow I went to recently, here locally, there were lots of guns all priced at premium prices, and very little ammo. One box (20 rds) of Fed premium .40 S&W went for over $30, nearly double what it sold for last year. Circleville Walmart's ammo shelves are empty save for a few boxes of shotgun shells. Its what the British call a 'sticky wicket'.

This is part of the reason why I started a small garden this last year. Not necessarily that I'm growing enough food to feed myself, but I realized that I don't know shit about surviving without a grocery store down the road. Anyway, I've learned a lot about a few plants, and I think I'm on my way to actually producing some fruits and veggies for myself :) I hope that this can just remain a fun hobby and not a necessity.

Same here. Need to learn how. Doing ok with tomatos, peppers, radishes, onions, and lettuce. Still working on melons, and cucumbers are tricky. And I've done ok with peas and beans before, if I can keep the cardinals and bluejays out of them.

Everyone used to have gardens. What's wrong with people?

Edited by ReconRat

Check the condition of your soil, ph level and all. Cukes and melons need good drainage as well as an abundance of sun. Cukes do not like manure too well, think its too 'hot' for them. I like to use miracle grow on them, or an off brand that has the same specs. After the have leafed out, and before budding, there is a beetle that likes to get into the stems and suck them dry killing them off, so in early June I take powdered Sevin and dust the entire plant. Those beetles like to lay eggs on the underside of the leaves and are pretty difficult to just rub off. So its best to get the sevin on before they are laid. With good rainfall you have to keep on with the sevin applications. At least this is how I go about it. We usually have dukes, water melons, musk melons and acorn squash. Bad thing with vine plants like this is they take a large area for each plant. Usually not so good for small garden plots. My garden is about 50 x 50 and even then its tight.

When I had a smaller plot I would plant either the acorn sq or melons in the corn. Just have to keep an eye on them so they don't pull the stalks down. And it makes running a tiller down between the rows a bit more difficult, but it can be done.

So because I'm fat does that make me a prepper?

Same here. Need to learn how. Doing ok with tomatos, peppers, radishes, onions, and lettuce. Still working on melons, and cucumbers are tricky. And I've done ok with peas and beans before, if I can keep the cardinals and bluejays out of them.

Everyone used to have gardens. What's wrong with people?

Should also know how to: can, jerk, salt, pickle, or smoke meat.