school me on a ar build

grapesmuggler27

Ever since I been out of the Marines ive wanted an ar. I have no experiance building a ar. Def not paying these gouging price for a ar right now either but once the prices settle down some I want to start builing my own but don't know where to star.school me on where to start, ar lingo, differences in brands etc...

Ok go.....

Google + ar15 build. It would take absolutely forever to try to lay it all out. There are so many different configs and setups... You just have to spend the time and read what's out there. Once you figure out what setup you want, then you'll have better luck asking for specifics.

***Parts are still hard to find and crazy over priced***

The lower receiver is the weapon. It has a serial number. The rest of the rifle is just parts.

Lower contains fire control, magazine release, bolt catch, and the butter tube.

Upper contains the BCG, gas system, forward assist, and barrel.

They are pretty easy to put together, just take your time. A roll pin punch will help not round out the pins.

As far as brand differences, there are endless makers out there. You pay more for better quality parts to an extend but the name is a lot of the upcharge. Just naming a few off the top of my head; LWRC, Troy, Daniel Defense, Rock River, Spikes Tactical, are all good brands.

In reality, a semi-retarded monkey can be taught to manufacture and assemble these. As long as the material is good and the holes are in the right place it will work.

**Lower**

I'd recommend a metal lower receiver, but that is just because plastic weapons bug me. They can be found for ~$400 on Gunbroker right now. I have a line on a few someone got that I could prolly snag for $300-$350 so let me know if you want one. (Send me a PM if so)

The Lower Parts Kits are the mess of stuff needed to assemble the lower. More retarded monkey parts. As long as it falls in spec, you should be good.

**Upper**

The upper is again retarded monkey work. Just make sure it is straight and drilled properly.

The barrel and BCG are work a few extra bucks on. They are really the heart of the rifle, and the extra cost for a chrome-lined barrel and a quality BCG is worth it IMO.

I prefer a receiver height railed gas block over a fixed front sight due to the options it gives you.

A good set of back up irons and you're good to go. I use a metal BUIS (Troy Battlesights)on a railed gas block because I'm paranoid.

You don't need a match trigger, four lights, a shiny hand-guard, or extended-snag-on-your-gear junk anyways. Leave the gear queer stuff for the cool guys at the range with their safe queens.

Now, all of these parts and accessories are sold out. You won't find parts for decent prices for months. But you won't find ammo to test your new toy for months either.

All this is a really quick overview. There are great pictorials for each step online. If you have any other questions as me here or send me a PM.

Edited by BDBGoalie
  • Upvote 1

Or I bring over some cold ones to your place and you pass on your vast knowledge. I'm not looking at buying anything right now it this fuck you in the ass with no lube market.

Absolutely!! I have a couple different set ups so I can show you some options as well. I will be back in town by the weekend.

You might as well start now. I got a quality build done in 3 days for a friend and really only over payed 100 dollars up to this point and am just missing a BCG, which BCM seems to be getting in stock every two weeks.

You'll need a punch set, vice, AR Multi Tool and maybe some other various items.

You might as well start now. I got a quality build done in 3 days for a friend and really only over payed 100 dollars up to this point and am just missing a BCG, which BCM seems to be getting in stock every two weeks.

You'll need a punch set, vice, AR Multi Tool and maybe some other various items.

How much total was the build?

No ya don't, not even close. ;)

**Lower**

I'd recommend a metal lower receiver, but that is just because plastic weapons bug me. They can be found for ~$400 on Gunbroker right now. I have a line on a few someone got that I could prolly snag for $300-$350 so let me know if you want one. (Send me a PM if so)

Really? If people are really still paying that much, I have 5 for sale @ $300ea.

Might as well, not getting upper parts or ammo anytime soon. :nono:

P.S. Better get them now before Obama gets reelected!

Edited by brn6604