Desert Eagle MR9 thoughts?

Steve Butters

The gf is looking for a carry piece and we looked at a few places...she fell in love with the MR9

i know its a clone of some kind of walther, but does anyone have any opinions on it?

gander has them for $600...im seeing them for $500 online, but everyone is sold out of them....she wants me to swing by gander tomorrow and buy it....shes pretty set on this exact one (and she handled probably 10 different guns today)

any thoughts?

I agree with ya man, but when it comes to my other half's opinion.....no rationale on my part makes any difference. A woman's mind seems to be made up of 2 things.....what she wants, and when she'll get it :lol:

• Upvote 2

MR has a good track record, so imo there's not much to worry about. No one I know has an MR9, this is the first I've seen on this particular weapon. Does look like a quality piece though. Post up some range reports once you get it

its a Walther P99 clone ...Walther actually makes the frames for it, and licenses all the other parts through MR ...once we pick it up ill post a range report (if i can ever find 9mm ammo again).....only differences i can tell between the walther and the MR is no trigger safety on the MR, and its a little cheaper...different grip pattern too....from what im reading, MR makes the internals but they use an exact design from walther (hence the licensing)....at least thats what im seeing online

the p99 is probably the most underrated hand gun out there. it's getting a bit more notice now long after it's been out, but it really a fantastic gun. smooth, accurate, trigger with a very distinct break, on and on.

I agree with ya man, but when it comes to my other half's opinion.....no rationale on my part makes any difference. A woman's mind seems to be made up of 2 things.....what she wants, and when she'll get it :lol:

Quoted for truth.

Can't find 9mm anywhere to even go shoot it :(

I may be running over to Cabela's Grand Opening on Thursday. If you don't find any ammo, I could bring a few boxes along. I'm only looking to get their weight in pure gold in exchange. :p (Seems to be the going rate right now :nono:)

.... or what I got into them, 50 rounds FMJ for $16.

hit the range today...she actually had me fire through the first magazine on it.

very first round hit dead center on the bullseye at 7yds ...the rest were all within a 8" group...im not a terribly good shot because im fairly new at shooting still, but the accuracy was pretty spot on...plenty sufficient for a SD situation

she had similar results accuracy-wise...but as the day went on it started to get hot in the range and the bullets were spreading more...we ended up leaving because it wasnt comfortable in there anymore....i much prefer shooting outside

we ran 200rds through it and she had about 4 FTFeed .... i didnt have any.....i told her if she limp-wrists it, it can cause it to do that...told her to stop holding it like a pussy and she didnt have any more jams after that lol

it shoots fairly smooth, fairly accurate even in the hands of new shooters.....overall im happy with it for sure, and she loves it

i dont like it nearly as much as my HK...just the little things like build quality...ambidextrous controls are also nice...the internal parts in the HK are a lot nicer also....then again, i paid for my HK well used, the same i paid for this one new

it doesnt conceal well....thats my only concern once she starts carrying it...but we will be in AZ...everyone there carries anyways, so nbd....as long as she is happy with it, thats what matters

on a similar subject....i put some rounds through my .40 today and it was super consistent....i definitely need more time with it, but i was to the point that the area of the target i was shooting was no longer even there because all the shots were hitting in the same area....they were all about 2-3 inches low and to the right...but at least it was consistent lol...just need more practice

Good to hear you got out. If you are low and right and right handed it could be a problem of to much finger on the trigger.

Yep that's my thought too. I wear 2x gloves so I have big hands, yet I have the smallest backstrap on my gun.. Going to try a larger one.. My finger almost wraps around the trigger instead of being where it should be

Shooting Times Review

The Straight Story

The Baby Desert Eagle label was first applied by MRI to an all-steel double-action/single-action CZ75-variant semiautomatic pistol developed by Israel Weapon Industries (IWI). This gun was originally introduced to the U.S. market in 1990 by K.B.I. Inc. as the Jericho 941. Later, it was imported by O.F. Mossberg & Sons under the Uzi Eagle name and then by MRI as the Baby Desert Eagle until January 1, 2009, when for a variety of reasons the import rights reverted to K.B.I./Charles Daly. Just over a year later on January 29, 2010, K.B.I./Charles Daly ceased business. During that intervening year, however, MRI had added the new polymer-frame striker-fired pistols reviewed here to its catalog and given them the Baby Desert Eagle name while referring owners of the previous IWI-made Baby Desert Eagles to K.B.I./Charles Daly for service and parts.

Finally, to top things off, in June 2010 Kahr Arms purchased Magnum Research Inc. (Minnesota) and incorporated a new company named Magnum Research Inc. (Delaware). Soon after, IWI approached the new Kahr Arms-owned Magnum Research, wondering if MRI would be interested in reacquiring the original Israeli-made Baby Desert Eagle for U.S. sale. Kahr thought that was a good idea, but it already had the “new” Baby Desert Eagle in the MRI catalog. So it decided to take back the old Baby Desert Eagle under its original name and change the name of the new Baby Desert Eagle to MR Eagle (as in “Mister Eagle”). The resurrected MRI original Baby Desert Eagles were reintroduced at the 2011 SHOT Show, in three different chamberings (9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP) with choice of steel or polymer frames and three different barrel lengths, for a total of 16 SKUs–plus four different new stainless-slide versions of the polymer-frame MR Eagle (the previous black-oxide-slide versions have been discontinued).

Got all that?