Pull Behind Trailers

Lucky

Anyone use a pull behind trailer with their bike? I've been looking at getting one, but am having difficulty deciding on what I should and shouldn't get.

Also not sure how big is too big. I found a '32 Ford rear end trailer that doesn't look any bigger than some that are marketed for bikes, but a 52"-58" width sounds a bit wide to me.

Of course the guy selling it thinks it should be fine.... :rolleyes:

How much does it weigh? Probably want less than 150 total weight. That leaves you about 100 for junk in your trunk. The tricky part is tounge weight. Probably 30 max.

Those are the general rules i see people follow. And the lighter the trailer the more stuff you can haul. Might be worth it to step up to a composite bike trailer.

http://youtu.be/wHTFfRNTZF8

Yes I have pulled trailers. What you are talking about sounds too heavy and too wide. I don't have pics available but I have a harbor freight trailer with a sears car top carrier mounted. 12" tires. Stored inside no rust and very good shape. Pulls very good. I could be talked into a sale very easy.

http://www.google.com/search?q=harbor+freight+trailer+with+car+top+carrier&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zps_UdeTIez_yQH1m4HQCQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=480&bih=236#i=3 It looks just like this.

http://youtu.be/wHTFfRNTZF8

Yes I have pulled trailers. What you are talking about sounds too heavy and too wide. I don't have pics available but I have a harbor freight trailer with a sears car top carrier mounted. 12" tires. Stored inside no rust and very good shape. Pulls very good. I could be talked into a sale very easy.

http://www.google.com/search?q=harbor+freight+trailer+with+car+top+carrier&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zps_UdeTIez_yQH1m4HQCQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=480&bih=236#i=3 It looks just like this.

Picture didn't seem to work, but I think this is what you were shooting for:

2h7qavq.jpg

and just for entertainment:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT47gYKRYJYLx9HRIN4aBtiBxbni-YNL3h9adFkzmLj1qeUziUe

also have the harbor freight / sears car top deal pulled it to new york and back and it pulled nice just watch the tougne weight should be fine with the HD

Friend of mine has this set up and pulls it with his Suzuki DL650 with no problems - has done 30,000+ miles with it.

I made the trailer hitch for him and made a swivel mount to be used between the trailer and the bike.

I built my own one-wheeler that I have pulled a couple thousand miles. Used a plastic "job box", 8" trailer wheel, bicycle shock, LED lights and a GoldWing U-joint for the coupler. Although not the most "elegant" looking thing, it's quite functional.

Being a one-wheeler, it leans with the bike. It's no wider than the bike so you don't have to change the way you ride where wider standard trailers dictate riding in the center of the lane. Properly loaded, you barely know it's behind you, even in the twisties!

Photobucket of the build HERE.

trailer.jpg

I built my own one-wheeler that I have pulled a couple thousand miles. Used a plastic "job box", 8" trailer wheel, bicycle shock, LED lights and a GoldWing U-joint for the coupler. Although not the most "elegant" looking thing, it's quite functional.

Being a one-wheeler, it leans with the bike. It's no wider than the bike so you don't have to change the way you ride where wider standard trailers dictate riding in the center of the lane. Properly loaded, you barely know it's behind you, even in the twisties!

trailer.jpg

Good idea

trailer.jpg

Cool concept, I like it and seems a much lighter weight design compared to the swivel-hitched straight axle versions

Cool concept, I like it and seems a much lighter weight design compared to the swivel-hitched straight axle versions

To get it tagged, I had to take it to a "truck" scale and get it weighed; it showed "0" on their "official" scale! Had them write 80lbs on the weigh slip. I've never actually weighed it, but I think 80lbs is about right.

It will easily hold a tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 sets of extra gear (except helmets), shoes, tools, etc. Can even strap a couple folding chairs to the top if desired.

If I were to build another I would use a different box. This one is not watertight so I pack stuff in w/p bags.

Do yourself a favor and get a single wheel trailer it handles much better and leans with the bike

http://1motorcycletrailers.com/singlewheelfiberglass.html

This actually has a lot of the models I've been looking at for the past couple of weeks. Federal tax refund is pending in my account right now, so I know the funds are there. :)

I like the single wheel concept, slightly more than I wanted to spend. Any idea on how single wheel compares to a solid axle on the bumps?

One of the guys on RideOhio is selling his aluminum trailer. Not sure if it's in your price range' date=' but dude's on the level.

[url']http://www.rideohio.org/showthread.php?t=17370

It's in my price range. I just registered over there. For some reason, the posts were all out of order for me. Looks like I saw he said somewhere between $800-$1,150 (Depending on if he likes you...lol). I'll hit him up for more pics.

Edited by Lucky
typo

This actually has a lot of the models I've been looking at for the past couple of weeks. Federal tax refund is pending in my account right now, so I know the funds are there. :)

I like the single wheel concept, slightly more than I wanted to spend. Any idea on how single wheel compares to a solid axle on the bumps?

It's in my price range. I just registered over there. For some reason, the posts were all out of order for me. Looks like I saw he said somewhere between $800-$1,150 (Depending on if he likes you...lol). I'll hit him up for more pics.

The single wheel trailers I've looked at should ride 100 times smoother than the two wheeled ones they run a shock on the single wheel ones instead of leaf springs that one I posted also runs a motorcycle tire

The single wheel trailers I've looked at should ride 100 times smoother than the two wheeled ones they run a shock on the single wheel ones instead of leaf springs that one I posted also runs a motorcycle tire

Looks like a lot of good reasons to have one, not too many bad. $1700 for a new one is a tad out of my price range though. Close, but not quite in it.

A friend of mine had a bush tec turbo +2 Prestige for $800 I'm trying to find out if she still has it

If she is selling it for $800, I would likely buy it. Probably going to make a decision in the next day or two.

Not all single wheel trailers have a suspension. Some utilize the tire as the suspension. Others that have made one-wheelers use a torsion suspension. It makes for a simple build, but you are stuck with the spring rate that is supplied. I utilized the bicycle shock to allow some adjustment for preload.

Many that use the Harbor Freight trailer with a car top box will modify the leaf springs (removing leafs) to reduce the spring rate since you probably won't be putting 800# of stuff in them.

IIRC, RedTrk's trailer (on RideOhio) was last listed at $800. Nice looking, for sure.

Not all single wheel trailers have a suspension. Some utilize the tire as the suspension. Others that have made one-wheelers use a torsion suspension. It makes for a simple build, but you are stuck with the spring rate that is supplied. I utilized the bicycle shock to allow some adjustment for preload.

Many that use the Harbor Freight trailer with a car top box will modify the leaf springs (removing leafs) to reduce the spring rate since you probably won't be putting 800# of stuff in them.

IIRC, RedTrk's trailer (on RideOhio) was last listed at $800. Nice looking, for sure.

Yeah, I have one I am looking at right now as well. Should know by late tomorrow (likely into Friday) which direction I'm going. I already PM'd him on the other forum.

If my friend still has the bushtec I believe she was asking $800 nice trailer retailed for like $4k... still waiting to hear back from her

I was going to buy it last fall but I decided to lower my bike so no trailer for me

Edited by conn-e-rot

Anyone use a pull behind trailer with their bike? I've been looking at getting one, but am having difficulty deciding on what I should and shouldn't get.

Also not sure how big is too big. I found a '32 Ford rear end trailer that doesn't look any bigger than some that are marketed for bikes, but a 52"-58" width sounds a bit wide to me.

Of course the guy selling it thinks it should be fine.... :rolleyes:

You shouldnt tow anymore than 50% of your bikes curb weight.

The trailer width shouldnt be any wider than the widest part of bike.

Tongue weight should only be 10-15% of total trailer weight. I stick bathroom scales under each wheel and use a fish scale to measure tongue weight level with hitch.

Suspension: a trailing arm or A arm with air shocks or hydraulic will give the best ride. I can go over huge bumps towing my Bushtec and it doesnt bounce.

Leaf springs and torsion suspensions will bounce going over bumps, which is not a good feeling in a corner.

If you decide to build your own the tongue should be atleast 1.5 times longer than the width between the wheels, any shorter and the trailer will sway.

Have you ever considered a waterproof bag that attaches to rear of bike?

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=361&cat=273&page=1

There are other brands also such as Packit Rack