We got a puppy.

Mary#17

Well, we promised my 6 year old that we would get a puppy after she turned 6 and when Ian was almost 3 - so here we are. She's a cutie pie but ugh, what a handful! I've pretty much decided the same gene that makes you forget how hard infants and toddlers are (otherwise you'd never have any more children) must also exist for puppies because I forgot how hard they are to live with. We got her last week and she is 9 weeks old this week. Australian Shepherd/Norweigon Elkhound mix. Got her from a rescue group that gets a lot of their puppies from the Amish. Anyway, here are a couple of pics.

417536_2875238897097_295291492_n.jpg

602210_2875239697117_1450221655_n.jpg

483676_2835096253556_1933372573_n.jpg

Congrats to you and your family..!

Pups can definitely be challenging. We also forgot how much, er..., 'fun' keeping a pup can be--our last was a Heeler mix. We recently rescued TWO Lab/Border Collie mix pups. Haven't had much of a chance to sit still for about 6 weeks now...Wouldn't trade it, though..!

picture.php?albumid=1643&pictureid=17083

Congrats to you and your family..!

Pups can definitely be challenging. We also forgot how much, er..., 'fun' keeping a pup can be--our last was a Heeler mix. We recently rescued TWO Lab/Border Collie mix pups. Haven't had much of a chance to sit still for about 6 weeks now...Wouldn't trade it, though..!

picture.php?albumid=1643&pictureid=17083

Totally adorable!

We have a fenced in yard with a lake on the other side so lots of stuff to watch all day long. I'm worried about the herding tendency with the shepherd part. She keeps chasing the kids nipping at their ankles so that is our first challenge to overcome. She does like her treats though and has learned the sit command. I think no jump will be next. When she turns 4 months, I'm going to start taking her to some obedience training.

Yeah, I know they all nip but I've read on several sites now that this is a very normal problem for the shepherds since they are herders. I'm sure we will get past it but it's a bit of challenge right now. And, she's already had her fair share of puppy time outs. :)

Yeah, I know they all nip but I've read on several sites now that this is a very normal problem for the shepherds since they are herders. I'm sure we will get past it but it's a bit of challenge right now. And, she's already had her fair share of puppy time outs. :)

Squirt bottle? lol. Dogs just require persistence and patience more than anything. That and to turn 2 years old. It's like the magic age where dogs suddenly get their brains.