Please Help!!

Kmanlyst

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of advise here !

If it runs with the choke on,but stalls when full off !!!

You need to take the carbs out and clean them.

It's not a hard job,but time consuming.

I did my wife's and it ran perfectly after that.

The bike runs with the choke off, I can rev it up to 4.5k rpm and it stalls. I think I am going to add a gravity fed fuel filter while I am at it seeing as the 250 doesn't have one.

The bike runs with the choke off, I can rev it up to 4.5k rpm and it stalls. I think I am going to add a gravity fed fuel filter while I am at it seeing as the 250 doesn't have one.

I wouldn't do that unless you're positive the filter can keep up with max fuel flow - they often increase problems at higher revs.

now I think another step I messed up on was not putting stabilizer innthe fuel over winter even though I did go out and start it once a week.

That shouldn't be any issue. I had my wife's sled sit for 2 years with stabilizer in it. I started it up last month and it ran like a champ for the entire trip I took it on.

If the tank petcock is like most, it has screens on it to act as filters. I don't see a need for an additional filter. I don't even put them on my ATVs.

If the tank petcock is like most, it has screens on it to act as filters. I don't see a need for an additional filter. I don't even put them on my ATVs.

Actually after digging some I did find the fuel filter. It is inside the fuel inlet . It is a tiny screen inside the black plastic fuel nipple.

ninfil.jpg

Edited by Kmanlyst

If the seafoam helped some, you may have moisture in the fuel. I know you said it was fresh. Is the bike parked outside?

Another thing to look at, (long shot) but make sure there are not any foreign objects in the exhaust blocking flow creating extra back pressure. I had an issue with that thanks to my two year old...

Does the bike drive? I am also in Hilliard. Not a certified expert, but willing to help for beer. Mmmmmmmm, beeeer....

If the seafoam helped some, you may have moisture in the fuel. I know you said it was fresh. Is the bike parked outside?

Another thing to look at, (long shot) but make sure there are not any foreign objects in the exhaust blocking flow creating extra back pressure. I had an issue with that thanks to my two year old...

Does the bike drive? I am also in Hilliard. Not a certified expert, but willing to help for beer. Mmmmmmmm, beeeer....

Can't get the bike to move far before it stalls out on throttle. It has been parked outside off and on after the storage unit incident. When running it yesterday exhaust did feel like there were any obstructions.

Can't get the bike to move far before it stalls out on throttle. It has been parked outside off and on after the storage unit incident. When running it yesterday exhaust did feel like there were any obstructions.

Try putting the old exhaust back on, it makes a differance on the mixture.

1. Water in fuel can be found by shaking the tank, and taking a small sample of fuel from the bottom of the tank, into a glass jar. Let it settle and the water will separate to the bottom where you can see it. Some bikes outside won't drain water correctly from around the fuel filler cap. Combined with a cap gasket that leaks water into the tank. It happens. Check the fuel cap gasket and the filler drain if that happened.

edit: draining fuel for sample directly from the fuel line is better, since that is really what we want to check. The fuel that's going to the carburetor.

2. That stock "filter in a fuel line" looks like a joke. Filters work by total surface area. That looks too small for much. The smallest/cheapest gravity inline filters you can find are each good for about the flow of 125cc. You would need two, one on each carburetor. And that's only when they are new and clean. Try to find a place to hide a bigger/better filter than the cheap ones. On the other hand, just replace the stock filter in the fuel line. It worked before.

edit: The last time it happened to me, I cleaned out both carburetors. That was one of my old CB350s. Let's appreciate the old vertical twins. You could reach down and rev each cylinder individually, at the carburetor linkage. To check it's function. You could also loosen the carburetor clamps, and rotate them for disassembly without removing them from the bike. And yes, I've cracked lots of carburetor diaphragms (hate that). You will have to check that when working on the carburetors.

edit again: In the service manual, is a method of checking rate of fuel flow from tank to each carb. It's a measured quantity should drain in a given amount of time. But really, checking the fuel lines for obstructions is usually good enough.

Edited by ReconRat

My girl 09 250 ninja pulled the same crap but the petcock diapham stayed open and the floats in the carb were flooding the eng. case in to the oil right after I did a oil change. I fixed that I think cow-a-socky went to cheap parts when they build the 09 250 ninjas. the carbs are a bitch to get off need little choppy hands to get to them.