Please Help!!

Kmanlyst

It is running rich the plugs are fouled i would get a new set of plugs,make sure the float needle valves are not stuck and the float moves free...

new set of plugs are in, float needles and valves move free I check those when the carbs were off diaphragms looked good.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone stated already, you need air, fuel, and spark.

Air...check.

Fuel...check.

Spark...?????

I would check your coils as I said previously. Plugs are just one part of the system. You could be getting just enough spark from the system to let it idle and run up to some RPM but then something might be drawing power away from the coils causing a weak spark. Or the spark is jumping due to a grounding issue before the plug(s).

Check out the signals going to the coils, the coils, and the wires.

You pulling the carbs should have no bearing on the warranty unless you broke something in the process. Although if you take it in and they tear it apart and discover it is non warranty problem and you tell them you will fix it yourself you could still end up owing some labor charges.

How well did you clean the carbs ? did you tear them down and clean good with carb cleaner?

My thought on this may be off, but the 250 comes pretty lean from the factory wouldn't the K&N filter and slipo-on lean it out even more instead of making it richer?

Yes they do and yes it would. The plugs deffinatly show a rich condition. KN filters can cause a rich condition if they are over oiled. Just for shits and giggles put the OEM filter back in and see what happens. Being that both plugs look so much alike it is safe to assume that the condition is common to both. Restricted air intake can cause this. Try it without any filter and see what happens. If you google your problem it seems to come up a lot. Maybe the alcohol in the gas is attacking some plastic in the carb. Look what is happening to Ducati gas tanks. At least go and talk to the dealer and see if they will give you some advice. Some of the plug problem could be from you using high test gas also. Don't buy it. Don't. Use it. You don't need it if your engine does not call for it. For you guys wanting him to throw parts at this thing read the forum tread that I posted earlier. That guy change everything and yes it did come down to the carbs.

My thought on this may be off, but the 250 comes pretty lean from the factory wouldn't the K&N filter and slipo-on lean it out even more instead of making it richer?

All I've read is they are typically lean from the factory ( in most cases ) in stock form, thats why the needle washer shim mod was so popular, easier than jetting but a noob fix if ya ask me. But it can handle a slip-on and keep the mix close enough. I thought the same way you do about an AF and the slip-on leaning it out. Those plugs do look fouled though, lean condition is typically white chalk on the plugs isnt it? I'm not all that carb saavy but still think you could honestly use fresh fuel, more seafoam, a clean, and rejet.

You pulling the carbs should have no bearing on the warranty unless you broke something in the process. Although if you take it in and they tear it apart and discover it is non warranty problem and you tell them you will fix it yourself you could still end up owing some labor charges.

How well did you clean the carbs ? did you tear them down and clean good with carb cleaner?

tore them down,pulled the jets,pilot jets,floats,diaphragms and cleaned it all out with carb cleaner.

I didn't break anything i handled everything like it was a Van Gogh.

tore them down,pulled the jets,pilot jets,floats,diaphragms and cleaned it all out with carb cleaner.

I didn't break anything i handled everything like it was a Van Gogh.

If/When you take it in don't tell them about tearing it so apart.