The slow evolution of my ZX12R

2fat2fly

Damn, good news AND bad news......glad the bike is running at least!!

Thanks.:D

Find a pump in the psi range you want? Wondering how expensive they are, never had to change one out myself.

I've found the pump I will replace this one with if I need to. I did some more research and troubleshooting on the bike and I found a couple things I want to investigate further before I commit to buying another pump. It's possible I have 2 seperate issues going on.

The first one (the exhaust being wet with fuel because it's so rich) could be caused by the TPS sensor being out of adjustment or just plain bad. I'll adjust it and see if that improves and replace if necessary.

The second one (excessive fuel pressure) could be the fuel pressure regulator having issues. On my bike I went a slightly cheap route. I left the stock fpr in place and piggybacked the new one into the system behind it. This can work and in itself isn't an issue. If the original FPR died on me then it can be forcing the high pressure that I can't adjust down with the new FPR. So I'm going to pull the original out of the system and see what happens. I should have done it that way to begin with but ,like everyone else, I'm on a budget and tried to save money where I could and I didn't want to pony up cash for the new fitting in the throttle body. I

If these things don't fix the issue then I'll go back to the fuel pump.

Normally I'd be knee deep in my 12 right now, since this is my weekend, but I'm replacing a head gasket on a friend's 87 GSXR 1100. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I'll have progress to report on my 12.

After I got the GSXR together I started tinkering with the Cruising Missile. I rerouted and remade the fuel return lines thinking I had a restriction in them. I was right and wrong. It had nothing to do with the fuel lines. The check valve inside the tank for the return line was sticking and only popped open around 90 psi. There's the problem! i pulled it out of the tank and put it in my ultrasonic cleaner for 10 minutes and the problem is gone. That's all the farther I got tonight. More to come tomorrow.:rolleyes:

I haven't been able to work on the bike this weekend due to my wife's birthday,our anniversary and my niece graduating from college. The life stuff took the driver's seat on me. The good news is my wife loves me and knows how to please me.

Here's proof:

Her anniversary present to me; a new helmet that I've been wanting.

HPIM6246_zps6cbfa370.jpg

HPIM6251_zps7a38de2b.jpg

HPIM6249_zps6fe7960f.jpg

HPIM6250_zps9c187bcf.jpg

HPIM6248_zpsbd5d83a9.jpg

:cool:

Nice brain bucket! I love military styled riding gear. You can tell by my digital camo Icon helmet and matching jacket covered in military patches.

Sweet sleeper rocket by the way. Been following this build from behind the scenes.

Nice brain bucket! I love military styled riding gear. You can tell by my digital camo Icon helmet and matching jacket covered in military patches.

Sweet sleeper rocket by the way. Been following this build from behind the scenes.

Thanks and thanks again Blitz. I love the current style Bell helmets for their comfort on my fat blockhead. I also love the price and value of the things. This one was under $200 out the door. I've owned Arai and Shoei as well and love them but for the money you can't beat Bell.

Dig the paintscheme, I like it quite a bit. Kudo's to the wife for the proper choice as that aircraft theme suits you man. Will go well with that missle you'll be ridin'! You may want a parachute pack to deploy if things get dicey once you level off at altitude, but at least there's no speed limit in the sky!! :D

Nothing to really report as far as progress goes. I pulled the injectors to clean them. I'm relocating the fuel pressure regulator and trying to decide on a new location and I'm still trying to find a spot I'm happy with. I'm also waiting on my Wego III.

http://store.schnitzracing.com/daytona-sensors-wego-iii-air-fuel-ratio-metering-system/

Should have it all (injectors & Wego III) by next Thursday and then I can really get after finishing this thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure Mike, I've not tried to post images since the change. I wouldn't "think" it would be any different, but maybe pm or post up a question for Casper to see what he says?

Sorry I've not hit you up about stopping by, we've been busy at home with a laundry room remodel and had my daughter staying with us the last few weekends. I'd like to make time to stop out for a visit soon though and see the progress in person

Not sure Mike, I've not tried to post images since the change. I wouldn't "think" it would be any different, but maybe pm or post up a question for Casper to see what he says?

Sorry I've not hit you up about stopping by, we've been busy at home with a laundry room remodel and had my daughter staying with us the last few weekends. I'd like to make time to stop out for a visit soon though and see the progress in person

I completely understand the remodel adventure. Mine starts next weekend with the kitchen, living room and utility closet. We had a pipe burst that destroyed part of the sub-floor. I'll be replacing that starting next Wednesday. :backtotopic:

The 12 is nearly done and I plan to ride it today so I won't be here trying to decipher how to post pics. Here's a link to another forum where I'm documenting the build as well:

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12r-forum/71354-my-zx12r-evolution-whats-going-fatcave-today-8.html#post2057705

That will get you up to speed.

Nice to see it come to a close and ready to ride finally. Been a long road for you, but thorough and precise work Mike! :bow:

Be careful out there and hope to meet up soon for a close up on the bike

I cut the roots that grew from the bike to the lift and then onto the garage floor. Yep, it's on it's own two wheels and saw daylight for the first time in a long time. Here's the proof:

HPIM6318_zpsb09d709c.jpg

HPIM6319_zps2a2fd404.jpg

HPIM6320_zps9dc46942.jpg

HPIM6323_zpsba21d195.jpg

There's still some work to be done. I have some wiring to do plus dyno time for the fuel mapping, I have to source a good air filter for the turbo and install new tires. Even with that stuff remaining too be done I'm happy with how it's turned out so far.

• Upvote 1

After I filmed the previous sound clip I took it for a ride, you know, just to make sure everything was working right...It is and man does it feel good to ride that thing! I took it easy and just went up through the gears a couple times and took a leisurely ride on it.