The slow evolution of my ZX12R

2fat2fly

That turbo'd12R will completely leave my portly self wringing the ZX14 for everything its got, so he's gonna make me need to run VP, a drag map, and my wife as the pilot just to keep from losing as badly :lol:

Hellmutt, you're not giving you or your bike enough credit. You have a heck of a good bike and I have no doubt you're fast on it.

Hellmutt, you're not giving you or your bike enough credit. You have a heck of a good bike and I have no doubt you're fast on it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.....and although I applaud your enthusiasm in my abilities, I've yet to truly experience all that my bike's capable of :D

Best mine was EVER dyno'd was just under 193hp @ 114tq, and that was freshly after Brocks system and tune was installed as well as running race fuel on Brocks drag map. Your bike "can" beat those numbers by quite a bit, and your working knowledge at the strip is beyond mine.....not to mention the 100 pounds I probably have on you.

I have yet to launch mine on a 1/4 mile with it strapped/lowered, but the mile is something I can handle without having to worry about redlighting or getting off the clutch as perfectly.....mile is mainly get away smoothly, maintain good body position, and shift cleanly throughout. Would be great for us both to run Wilmington, I would enjoy seeing just how close the speeds/times are

Hopefully I will have my 9 all tuned and ready to go for some runs this year

I'm interested to see if your Monster drink can will pass tech as a suitable coolant reservoir :lol:

I see a stock basin being reinstalled in your near future sir :D

No pictures for today's progress, but got the chain guard trimmed to a design I like and got another bracket painted. I also started prepping the chain guard for paint. I hope to have it painted tomorrow or Wednesday and installed on Thursday.

Very nice build!

Thanks.

Any hp or 1/4 mile predictions?

I have no predictions for the bike. I'm running low boost so it will not be a horsepower monster. There is head work, I addressed the cams a little, transmission work, shifter mechanism work and many other things so I simply can't quantify it right now into solid numbers. I'm going to tune it for a good AFR across the rev range at my desired boost level and live with whatever number I get. After I have everything broken in and tuned I'll head to Kilkare to see what I can do with it. I can tell you I'm wheelbase limited for big E.T. numbers so I won't be rotating the Earth. If I find it unsatisfying I'll tear the engine down next winter and really dig into it. Sorry I can't give you a number.

Thanks.

I have no predictions for the bike. I'm running low boost so it will not be a horsepower monster. There is head work, I addressed the cams a little,

I think this is code for ( I'm pretty sure it'll whoop some ass, just can't prove it just yet ;)) :D

It'll be a handful when it's done at any rate

I think this is code for ( I'm pretty sure it'll whoop some ass, just can't prove it just yet ;)) :D

It'll be a handful when it's done at any rate

Thanks for the vote of confidence Hellmutt. I think I know what it'll do and I've done the math several times in many different configurations to develop an idea for the ballpark it'll be playing in. At least I think I have an idea but I prefer to let the bike speak for itself when it finds it's voice.

Edited by 2fat2fly

Thanks for the vote of confidence Hellmutt. I think I know what it'll do and I've done the math several times in many different configurations to develop an idea for the ballpark it'll be playing in. At least I think I have an idea but I prefer to let the bike speak for itself when it finds it's voice.

Let me know once its ready to run, whether that be a 1/4 mile or mile at a time.....I definitely want to witness the maiden voyage

Let me know once its ready to run, whether that be a 1/4 mile or mile at a time.....I definitely want to witness the maiden voyage

I will, but I have to warn you that most maiden voyages for projects like this usually look like a monkey with his first football....:rolleyes:

I stopped at Jeg's last night on the way home from work and today I went to my favorite Kawasaki shop. I've got a bunch of stuff to do!

Today's projects:

HPIM5895_zpsd0842316.jpg

HPIM5897_zpsa0dff4b2.jpg

HPIM5896_zpsc88a150f.jpg

HPIM5898_zps4d4e5b44.jpg

I'll be busy today. Installing the lock up clutch spacer, heat shield for the scavenge pump line, chain guard, FPR & mounting bracket, radiator (it's currently temp installed), oil cooler and quite a few other things! Yaaaaaay!:D

Edited by 2fat2fly

Here's a summary of yesterday's progress.

Oil cooler is permanently installed.

HPIM5904_zps3456a930.jpg

HPIM5905_zps1210f0ea.jpg

HPIM5907_zpsb16b0e39.jpg

HPIM5916_zps6e975ff8.jpg

The scavenge line is permanently installed with the thermal shield installed.

HPIM5914_zpsb6f77190.jpg

HPIM5912_zps82fe030e.jpg

FPR is installed. I put rubber between it and the bracket it sets on for anti-vibration purposes.

HPIM5901_zpsb9f36259.jpg

HPIM5915_zpsf78b1673.jpg

I also did alot of minor maintenance stuff on the bike. I went around it checking torques on everything from engine mount bolts to engine covers, etc....