The slow evolution of my ZX12R

2fat2fly

I have more parts so I can work on the Cruising Missile tomorrow. Yaaaaaaaaay!!:cool:

And I'm off work until next Monday!:D

#1 - How do you get these killer hours?

#2 - Is your employer looking for an ex-engineer hack looking for short weeks like you're getting?? :D:lol:

#1 - How do you get these killer hours?

#2 - Is your employer looking for an ex-engineer hack looking for short weeks like you're getting?? :D:lol:

You guys are funny. They are looking for a field engineer though.

I work 13+ hour days. It's only scheduled to be 12 hour days, but I run a maintenance crew so I go in an hour early and leave after the night shift is started and all their questions are answered. My shifts are 6am to 6pm Sunday-Tuesday and every other Wednesday. So I work 7 out of every 14 days. I'm burning a vacation day for this coming Sunday.

I started today kind of slow. Somebody asked for details on my undertail so I measured it's dimensions, etc.. for him. I got it installed on the bike and now I need to start sorting the wiring. Here's pictures of the miniscule progress this morning:

HPIM5999_zps48cf1ae1.jpg

HPIM6019_zps6c3ae4aa.jpg

HPIM6017_zpsbfbddfcc.jpg

HPIM6013_zps731b2900.jpg

HPIM6023_zpse18ec01b.jpg

HPIM6022_zps5390da2f.jpg

The pictures aren't that great due to lighting. The innerfender follows the frame contour for a nice clean look underneath the tail.

Edited by 2fat2fly

This afternoon I spent my time trying to work out the routing of the charge pipe for the turbo. If you look at the first picture there's all the room in the world to run it. But as you look at the rest of the photos you'll see the open space goes away quickly. I'm not done with it yet and the last photo in the sequence shows where it's at tonight. Tomorrow I'll attack it again and try to finish routing it. The good news is that I believe I have everything I need to finish that part of the project.

HPIM2315-1.jpg

The black hose with the blue inside is the charge air hose. It needs to turn and go straight up in front of the radiator.

HPIM6024_zps04294e9f.jpg

HPIM6025_zpscf068651.jpg

HPIM6026_zps36187362.jpg

HPIM6030_zpsbb7df386.jpg

And this shot is the view from above. Again, the black hose is the charge air tubing.

HPIM6038_zpsf1a03b2d.jpg

As you can see, keeping everything inside the fairing and hidden will be a nightmare but I believe I can accomplish it.

Man, you might be in need of 2 shoe horns and a stick of butter to get all that crammed in behind the bodywork :D

Lookin' good so far!

Did you ever consider piping it all inside the tail section? McCoys built an R1 with a tail turbo....crazy design but a very clean look and it was very hard to tell it was there, not sure about it's overall performance though...

insaneshanebike.jpg

Mmmmmm, McCoy bikes are so sexy and fast. They are my favorite place and they are a site sponsor. They cut big deals for me being a forum member and then some for dropping a few over a grand on the phone with them for some goodies last year.

Back on topic...Doing a good job on your 12 work. Can't wait to hear it!

Man, you might be in need of 2 shoe horns and a stick of butter to get all that crammed in behind the bodywork :D

Lookin' good so far!

Did you ever consider piping it all inside the tail section? McCoys built an R1 with a tail turbo....crazy design but a very clean look and it was very hard to tell it was there, not sure about it's overall performance though...

insaneshanebike.jpg

I did consider an undertail mount but I coudn't hide the turbo if I did that. I took the hardest path by doing it the way I am, but I'm still planning to have everything under bodywork as much as possible.

You'll make it right and still look good, just wasn't sure if it was a possibility. The way you're doing it is most conventional ( from what I've seen ) but that 12 has a big tail section and thought I'd bring it up :D

Good news! The re-routing of the piping will work the way I want it.

The elbow turning the duct upward is in place in this picture:

HPIM6043_zpsa9230af4.jpg

and it's hidden behind the fairing! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!:D

HPIM6042_zpsff160835.jpg

HPIM6039_zps90655aa2.jpg

Here's the top view:

HPIM6041_zps34aefa6b.jpg

I need to connect it now but that's not a big deal. Life is good for the fat kid!:)

Here's a couple more pictures of the charge pipe routing.

HPIM6052_zpsa0b14aa7.jpg

HPIM6049_zps826da783.jpg

HPIM6051_zpscab9440c.jpg

I ended up having to order a 45* elbow to finish the charge pipe. With luck I might have it tomorrow. If not I'll have it by next weekend and I can wrap that all up.

The next order of business is figuring out how to plug the airbox. The airbox is part of the frame on the 12 so you have to do this in order to make the turbo work. I looked around my scrap metal cabinet and found a piece of aluminum I'll machine into two plugs for the top of the airbox.

HPIM6048_zpsac916a69.jpg

HPIM6047_zpsecf0525a.jpg

HPIM6046_zps1fc2608e.jpg

:D

Now I'm off to make a couple drawings for the necessary machine work.

Edited by 2fat2fly

I decided on a pattern for the airbox plugs and I started making them. I got one rough cut out on the bandsaw before the wife said she wants to go out for supper. So this is where I'm at for the day:

One side is partially made. Still needs holes drilled and finish formed/sanded into shape.

What's left of the donor material:

HPIM6053_zpsb277f564.jpg

Where it's going:

HPIM6059_zpsbbea2642.jpg

Still needs final fab work to fit properly, but you get the idea:

HPIM6054_zps7761ef85.jpg

It will be slid all the way in to where nothing sticks out of the slot when it's done.

I'm back at it this morning. After my wife left for work I went to the garage to play. I have the first plug drilled and fitted. I have not trimmed the bottom down yet. I'll do that after I get the other one fitted and drilled. I don't have a Bridgeport at my disposal so I have to do this all with a bandsaw, drill press and dye-grinder so this will take longer than the preferred method. I'm not complaining, in fact I'm quite thankful I have these tools in my garage.

HPIM6063_zps77a83fc7.jpg

HPIM6062_zps63c2aba5.jpg

HPIM6065_zpsdcb5f12d.jpg

Time to make the next one.

After I get them made I will install them with aircraft fuel tank sealant to seal the top of the airbox.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ac236b.php?clickkey=4275

Edited by 2fat2fly

If this doesn't work I will put a single piece of rubber across the top of the plugs I made and a thin piece of stainless or aluminum with screws threaded into the plugs to seal it all from the top. That's why I'm contouring the plugs to the top of the airfilter slots (so I don't waste aluminum and have to make a second set).

Edited by 2fat2fly

Thanks for the compliment. Anybody could do this if they wanted.

Kind of like telling a kid he can be anything he wants when he grows up, but we know not everyone can do anything, no matter how hard they try. We just say that to give them confidence. :lol:

You got the talent Mike. Thanks for sharing because if I was doing it I wouldn't take the time to take pictures to share online. :cheers: I'm glad you do because it's interesting to see.

Edited by NinjaNick
  • Upvote 1

You got the talent Mike.

Thanks Nick. One of the reasons for doing this thread is that it forces me to stay on task. By doing this it' s keeping me motivated to get the bike done, so it's helping me too.

Edited by 2fat2fly

Didn't get anything accomplished today other than washing the missile in anticipation of riding it soon.

HPIM6083_zps869d514b.jpg

HPIM6085_zps02c09090.jpg

And here's a look at the final shape of the airbox plugs I made:

HPIM6080_zpsb1113dc8.jpg

HPIM6081_zps3b3cd4be.jpg

HPIM6076_zps77955897.jpg

They look kind of irregular across the top but that's because I tried to follow the contour of the top of the airbox slots where they sit. They are bolted to the front of the airbox slots so you get an idea of how they sit in the airbox.