The slow evolution of my ZX12R

2fat2fly

Today's projects are fitting everything in the tail and routing all lines, wires, etc under the tank so that it's organized, accessible and useable. That's a very tall order. Here's what I'm initially thinking for the layout:

HPIM6184_zps74e52633.jpg

HPIM6182_zps37775fc6.jpg

There's other components I want in there, but don't have to be there. I can hide them somewhere else if necessary.

Now I'm off to work on it

I went out to the garage to work on wiring issues but I got sidetracked. The right lower fairing needed modified to fit correctly with the lock up clutch installed and my ocd got the better of me so I went to work on that.

Here's how it looked when I started:

HPIM6179_zps3dfa4a2e.jpg

I taped it off, outlined the graphics and the contour line of the clutch cover:

HPIM6191_zpsb2903ca2.jpg

The next step is where you find out if you have a set of balls (cutting time on a damage free and original paint fairing):

HPIM6196_zps7bdf4111.jpg

The "after" results:

HPIM6211_zpscc945c43.jpg

HPIM6208_zpsd02fce67.jpg

HPIM6207_zps2895c109.jpg

Before the fairing mod I couldn't get this trim piece to line up with the fairing:

HPIM6192_zpsd98d8ac6.jpg

After:

HPIM6203_zpsda74498b.jpg

I also had to reroute the fuel pressure line for clearance on the left side upper filler panel. Now everything on the fairings lines up and all body bolts are installed so I'm happy. Now to get after the undertail area....

Nice trim work on the fairing, looks great and virtually undetectable. Getting closer to go time!

Can you run a slip on with the turbo? Didn't know if you planned to just run a straightpipe outlet or if a silencer was an option?

Edited by Hellmutt

Nice trim work on the fairing, looks great and virtually undetectable. Getting closer to go time!

Thanks.

Can you run a slip on with the turbo? Didn't know if you planned to just run a straightpipe outlet or if a silencer was an option?

Not running a muffler at all. Turbos eat noise so the exhaust is complete as it sits. The pipe is that long for another reason entirely. If you notice it stops behind the footpeg and is angled away from the rear tire. This is in case of catastrophic failure of the turbo and/or the engine. If it dumps oil or parts out the pipe none of it will get on the rear tire or me. I did that intentionally to help me keep the Cruising Missile under control if something bad ever happens.:D

No problem Nick. If you get a kit and need help installing I'll happily help. Heck, we can do it at my house if you want. I have all the tools and a little experience with turbos ( I read a magazine article about it once). :wtf:

• Upvote 1

I can't wait to here it!

Hope to trump you next year with a stage 2 300+ turbo. ;) You can ride my ride too compare to. I trust you man. ;)

A turbo lol that motorcycle is going to be awesome. Will it get it up to 500hp. All that power is too much for the street imo. Also love the work on zx12r Mike.

A turbo lol that motorcycle is going to be awesome. Will it get it up to 500hp. All that power is too much for the street imo. Also love the work on zx12r Mike.

The rods in it will only hold roughly 400 hp. If you do the math on it the turbo will (in theory) generate enough boost to push about 500hp. I don't believe it will nor am I attempting to get there. My fuel injectors, pistons, computer and a few other very expensive things would need replaced to get there. On top of that I am a technological caveman so I won't be attempting something like that. This is to be a street bike first and foremost so all mods done will be done in a way that maintains the streetability of this bike and I don't see this bike ever eclipsing 250hp as it currently sits. With that being said I personally don't think 350hp is too much for the street on a bike. If you do the math(and we'll assume my bike will weigh 550lbs when complete) we see that at 550lbs and 350hp this bike would have a Weight to power ratio of 1.57 lbs to 1hp. So yeah, that's about right for a street bike...:D

Edited by 2fat2fly

I have a 13 year old step-daughter (girlie-girl cheerleader) that asked me to hang out with her today and do something with her. I reluctantly agreed because I wanted to work on my ZX12 and try to get something accomplished on it. I thought we'd be in the house watching a movie or something like that....all of you with kids know what I'm talking about. She shocked me when she said she wanted to work on my bike with me. So we spent a couple hours working on my bike together (until she and my wife left to go shopping). This turned out to be an awesome day!

Here's a photo of her running the sensor line for my boost guage.

2013-04-13122812_zps2693ab9f.jpg

Here's how the boost and fuel pressure guages look now. I still need to wire the lights into the electrical system and install a mounting pad for them.

HPIM6227_zps51fde6d6.jpg

You won't be able to see them from the side:

HPIM6226_zps7c2ad504.jpg

I had an oil line that was sticking up in the side vent of the left fairing that was driving me nuts:

HPIM6169_zpsc6efbdc2.jpg

I fixed that by relocating it today:

HPIM6212_zps0de176d6.jpg

I also had to clearance the lower vent for the waste gate to not rub:

HPIM6221_zps81ec13af.jpg

This keeps with my sleeper theme quite well. :D

Edited by 2fat2fly

Well Mike, it's a decent day for a test ride....:D

Would be a great day for a test ride except I'm waiting on 1 critical part that's on backorder.:nono:

I still have stuff to do and I'm in no way done, but I could have it slapped together enough to fire it and go around the block on it IF I had that part.;

The Missile runs! That's the great news. I also have some not so good news. I have a fueling issue. Too much fuel is the problem. I want to be at 42psi at idle but the pump is pushing 90+psi. That's a major problem. I've adjusted the fpr as low as it will go and I still have ridiculous pressure. I believe the issue To be the fuel pump. There's too much volume at too high a pressure for the diameter of the return line to be able to handle. I'm currently shopping for a lower output Walbro pump to replace this one.

On the forward progress side of things I got the air shifter all done, the scavenge pump is wired into the fuel pump circuit and the air compressor wired in.

The scavenge pump is wired into the fuel pump circuit so that it only comes on when the fuel pump is running. This assumes that if the fuel pump is running then the engine is running and therefore the scavenge pump needs to be running. It also means the tipover switch will shut it down when it shuts down the fuel pump in case it's tripped. This way I'm not dumping fuel or oil if the bike goes down. I'm big on passive safety measures if there's the possibility of open flame at or near nut level.:eek: