The slow evolution of my ZX12R

2fat2fly

The 12 looks and sounds great!

...now why aren't you racing the YSR?

Thanks. I don't race it because I have waaaaaaay too many other things going on. I'd like to but time and money are always the two factors that dictate what you do and when you do it.

I'm going to explain why I'm getting the ecu flashed now, instead of earlier  in the build. I was going to get it done previously but couldn't decide on the electronics package I wanted without more research. Now I know which way I'm going with it so I need to get the computer flashed to accept the other mods.

Long story short; I'm going to splice in a Power Commander 5 from a GSXR 1000 and Autotune set up to make my computer a closed loop system. There is no Powercommander V for the ZX12R. To do this I need to raise the rev limit to 12,700RPM. The other two reasons for raising the limit are land speed racing and drag racing. If I can keep it in a lower gear when I'm close to the finish line then I'll get a quicker E.T. since I'm not wasting milliseconds (or seconds) shifting gears. I can just run up into higher rpm and not tag the rev limiter. The same goes for LSR. If I can rev higher I can go faster. The reason for the GSXR PCV is the extended revs.

I live 20 miles North of the Ohio Mile and 15 minutes from a dragstrip so I'm gonna play when I have the opportunities.Yes, I am experiencing delusions of grandeur.

Here's a list of the stuff that has been added to the bike. There are a couple on here that are not installed yet:
  ZX14 Fuel injectors
  PCV & Autotune
  K&N Air Filter
I've paid for them and they are on their way. As soon as I get them they will be installed.

Anyway, here's the list for anybody interested:

Aeromotive:
  Fuel Pressure Regulator
APE:
  Adjustable Cam Sprockets
Autometer:
   Boost Guage
  Fuel Pressure Guage
  Shift Light
Daytona Sensors:
  Wego III
DEI:
  Exhaust Wrap
  Heat Sleeves
Dynojet:
  Power Commander V
  Autotune
Earl’s/Edelbrock/Russell:
  Braided Lines & Fittings for Fuel & Oil Lines
Factory Pro:
  EVO SHIFT STAR
Falicon:
  Billet Clutch Basket
Garrett:
  T3 Super 60 Turbo
Kawasaki:
  ZX14 Fuel Injectors
K&N:
  Air Filter
MPS:
  Air Compressor
  Air Shifter Kit
  Sport Bike Shift Kill Box
  Tether Kill Switch
MTC:
  Multi-Stage Lock Up Clutch
Muzzys:
  Adjustable Ignition Advancer
  Dry Nitrous Kit
  Lowering Links
  Mirror Block Offs
  NO2 Bottle Bracket
  Oil Filter Relocation Kit
  Performance Clutch Kit
  Velocity Stacks
Robinson Industries:
  Transmission First Gear
Schnitz Racing:
  Front End Lowering Strap
  Turbo Scavenge Pump
Speigler:
  Front & Rear Brake Lines
Superbike Mike:
  4” Weld-In Swing Arm Extensions
Walbro:
  Fuel Pump
Fabricated Parts by me and/or my brother:
  Airbox Block-Off Plates
  Air Shifter Cylinder Brackets
  Assorted Brackets
  Chain Guard
  Drilled Intake Camshaft For Cam Position Sensor (used as exhaust cam)
  Fuel & Oil Lines
  Kickstand
  License Plate Bracket
  Oil Pan Window
  Ported Head
  Reed Valve Block-Off Plates
  Turbo System
  Under Tail
  Wire Harnesses For Accessories

That's quite a list! What gen ZX14 injectors did you intall? I believe Kaw went from an 8 to a 10 port tip on the '08+ but the 3rd gen may be bigger/better than that with the displacement increase

That's quite a list! What gen ZX14 injectors did you intall? I believe Kaw went from an 8 to a 10 port tip on the '08+ but the 3rd gen may be bigger/better than that with the displacement increase

2006 is a 440cc injector. 09-newer is 330cc with a better tip. I need the 06-07 injectors to support the fuel requirements due to the duty cycle of the injectors.

I got a PC V and autotune.

HPIM6340_zps9fa2c82e.jpg

HPIM6342_zpsd5d155a0.jpg

Dynojet doesn't make one for the ZX12R's, so if you want one you have to be willing to modify a brand new one intended for another bike. I'm using one for the 2007-08 GSXR 1000's. It will work with another part I received today:

HPIM6343_zpsd5ca5317.jpg

This is my original ECU just back from getting hacked. I had the rev limit   raised to 12,700rpm. I hope to drag race and do some LSR events when I have the opportunities and I want the bike ready to load up and go. I don't want to be scrambling to get it together to make an event, so I'm doing everything I can right now to have it ready to go. That's why I spent the extra down time (even though I already have the bike running) to get the ecu hacked and now I'll be wiring everything together. Once this is all done it should be; let me repeat that; SHOULD BE as trouble free as possible. We alll know how that works though. Stuff breaks. At the worst possible time usually. Here's the hacked ECU:

Bottom view with the programming cable hooked up:

HPIM6352_zps04ef6742.jpg

HPIM6353_zps7caadba1.jpg

To mod these older ECU's you have to cut them open and solder on the circuit board. Here's the cut-outs:

HPIM6353_zps7caadba1.jpg

Cable removed:

HPIM6351_zps57609724.jpg

Here's the top view:

HPIM6348_zpsaa6d94e7.jpg

You have to cut into this side to access the board to perform the mod. Once the mod is done you don't need to access this side anymore.

The programming cable is for going back into the computer and setting the fuel tables, etc....

I also have a 3-bar map sensor coming that I will be wiring into this system so I can safely run up to 28-30 pounds of boost and this system will be able to control the fuelling of the system. That's the plan anyway. We all kno how plans go when mechanical and electronic toys are involved....

I don't ever plan to run that much.smile.gif The most I plan to run will be no more than 20 and it will more likely stay in the 14-17lbs of boost range. That will come after I tear the engine down and add turbo pistons, etc. so the engine will live.rolleyes.gif

All this part of the build is possible due to insight and information provided by other enthusiasts who are much smarter than me. They did all the research and development on this type stuff.I'm just trying to combine all that into one workable solution for my project. All I did was listen to what they had to say.

The last part is ZX14 Throttle bodies.

HPIM6344_zpsfed649e9.jpg

I'm taking the fuel injectors and installing them in my 12. This should be the last part of a fuel system capable of feeding this beast.

I had to cut up a perfectly good and new PCV to get it mounted on my 12. I started out with the wiring diagram for the 12 and labelled everything for the 12's old pc III. I used someone else's research on the PCV to label it. Then I started cutting and splicing.

The PCV:

HPIM6355_zps8a3ed9f9.jpg

HPIM6356_zpsc4705728.jpg

The PC III:

HPIM6357_zpsac59e0db.jpg

HPIM6359_zps2103b956.jpg

Before:

HPIM6360_zps6673342c.jpg

During:

HPIM6362_zpsc6fbc8cd.jpg

HPIM6363_zpsfaa0f483.jpg

After:

HPIM6364_zps371d08b3.jpg

HPIM6365_zps94b458fc.jpg

I just need to program it and put it on the bike. Hope it works....:ohno

I spent most of today going over the PCV and Autotune stuff to make sure I had it right. I don't want to smoke any new toys on engine start up because I wired something backwards.

The Autotune requires a switched 12v power source but the wire as no connector on it so you need to connect it however you want to a power source. I had all those connectors left over from modding the PCV so I decided to re-purpose a couple. The connectore that went to the #1 fuel injector had red wires in it so I used that set of connectors to attach to the tail lamp circuit (same as the PCV) and make it so I can unplug the Autotune if it ever becomes necessary. I spliced into the old PC III power connector so the stock wire harness is untouched and I can literally unplug all the hot rod parts and remove them without leaving any trace they were there.

HPIM6368_zps604bcd9b.jpg

HPIM6371_zps6a2b041a.jpg

Right now I'm waiting on my lap top computer to charge so I can calibrate a couple things and fire the bike up.

Looking like you're about done with buttoning it up. Nice work Mike, it will definitely be easier to make changes with all the new additions! :bow:

Thanks. 

I still have a bunch of things to do to it. I'll spend tomorrow and Thursday addressing some issues with it and hopefully be able to twist the throttle with bad intentions by Thursday night. I have some insulation to install, wiring work to do, mapping/programming work, fuel system work, oil line tweaking and a few dozen other things to address. I also got a chance to talk to an engine & chassis builder today that I've  known for many,many years. He surprised me with a little information I'll  be putting to use on this bike. I'm looking forward to trying it and seeing the results.  

Today was a busy day for me. I had to fix a heat issue with a fairing, install the ZX14 fuel injectors, mod the throttle body to accept the ZX14 fuel injectors, mod the vacuum system to support the 3 bar map sensor, and a couple other things. Here's pics of the progress:

Exhaust pipe ( even though it's heat wrapped) melted into the insulation and dimpled the fairing. I caught it before it did any real damage.

HPIM6376_zpse01e17e8.jpg

HPIM6377_zps5639fab5.jpg

You can see the dimple on this one:

HPIM6378_zps377c4c7d.jpg

I stopped at Jeg's on the way home from work last night and got an adhesive heat shield. Then I installed it today.

HPIM6379_zps29faf3b0.jpg

HPIM6380_zps95322a16.jpg

I had my work cut out for me to install the zx14 injectors. There was alot of minor modding to do to he fuel rail and throttle bodies.

The ZX14 injector is way shorter than the ZX12R injector. To install the injectors I had to "shorten" the mounting area on the throttle bodies and fuel rail. I removed 0.100" from the TB's fuel rail mounting pads and 0.100" from the fuel rail mounting tabs. The rest of the distance was made up by installing the lower o-rings from the 12's injectors below the 14's o-rings. This stack-up and the material removal on the top part closed the distance enough to install the 14's injectors.

HPIM6388_zps858fbae3.jpg

Upper rail before grinding:

HPIM6396_zpse98b4af0.jpg

After:

HPIM6395_zps7ecd39fa.jpg

Throttle Body's fuel rail mounting pad after:

HPIM6397_zps7b3d8e8a.jpg

Injector mounted:

HPIM6399_zps89f84fc9.jpg

I also did the famous ZX12 pilot jet mod (google it for more info). It's usually done to smooth out hte idle on a header equipped ZX12R. I did it to help insulate the inlet air pressure sensor from boost pressure. I also did some other things to help with that but I have no pictures of it all yet.

Mikuni 12.5 pilot jet:

HPIM6412_zps026a877b.jpg

Installed in the vacuum hose for the IAPS:

HPIM6413_zpsed273231.jpg

That's all for today. I'll post more pics of today's progress and tomorrow's progress later.