NC Title Help

ScubaCinci

Need some help here. I'm looking at a dual sport bike that a guy in WV has. He purchased the bike from a guy in NC. Apparently neither one actually had the title transferred to them to avoid paying taxes (both used it off-road exclusively). So, the title is still in the NC dealership's name. :wtf:

I don't buy/sell a lot of used vehicles so I'm unsure how to handle this or just walk away. He's asking a very good price for a relatively hard to find bike and I talked to him at length and he seems like a decent guy. Thoughts?

I believe NC is a "chain of title" state, where you can buy and sell multiple times on the back of the title. In all honesty, if the dealer signed it over to buyer #1 and buyer $1 just never registered it, you can buy it. They're the ones liable for the taxes they snuck out on. As long as the title is valid and not in someone else's name. I'd run an NC title search first.

• Upvote 1

Walk away IMHO, and I am a bit confused as to how the dealer can still have the title? Also not sure any of that was legal. ;)

Sorry, I was a little ambiguous...the current bike owner holds the title but its not in his name. It's still in thedealer's name.

That's what I was thinking too. I'm going to try to call the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do. It may be something that is relatively common. If I could mail it to them and have them sign/notarize it, I should be golden.

He's supposedly going to send me pics of the front/back of the title. If it's registered to the PO, that might be tougher.

I would think if it is dated and notarized, the buyer information part would be filled out as well. If that's the case, it needs to go in that persons name, and then transferred to you. If the buyers information is blank, I'd say you could be golden. I doubt Ohio would look at it close enough to notice the notary date is two years old.

Edited by imaposer

OK, should be good to go I think. Title is notarized and signed by the dealer but name/signature of purchaser & odometer reading has been left blank. It was notarized Sep 30 2011...I guess that's still ok.

Damn. I guess I should have read all the replies before I posted. :D

I'd go for it. Worst case, Ohio makes you pay a fee for slow transfer of title. I think there is a time limit for getting something registered.

There's a $5.00 late fee for not applying for a new title within 30 days of the "assignment" of the title (the date the previous owner's signature was notarized).

Not a big deal, but its there.

So what is the bike in question that is worth all the trouble? :D

2011 Husky TE310. :D Had been looking at doing the DRZ400S thing but I think this is overall better bike for the dirt which is where it will see 90%+ of the riding. I wanted a plated bike to be able to legally ride park fire roads etc. I really have no intention of hitting the hwy.

OK, they told me that since the title is being transferred from the dealer, it requires a bill of sale from them in my name. So to get this done, the current owner would have to title it in his name pay the taxes, then transfer the title to me but he'll probably face the same issue.

Thanks for everyone's input though.

The title will have to be assigned in series to each of buyers since the dealership. They will all have to pay their taxes. Are they willing to do that? Probably not. I'd walk away.

You'd be the 3rd owner of a 2011 bike? What's wrong with it?