Elkhorn City, KY anyone been?

Ron505

There is a pretty good size group of guys going down there April 5th-7th. I'm just wondering what to expect and if anyone knows of the regulations.

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Edited by Ron505

I had a feeling I should put "dirt" in the title. We are staying at a campgrounds. Just wondering if your ATV's need tagged or if there are any day passes that need to be purchased.

I didn't look at the category before replying. Jefferson National Forest is no motorized vehicles in Virginia, I don't know about Kentucky. I have spent a lot of time in that area on the Virginia side of the Breaks Park. Great hiking and I always wished we could have dirt bikes out in the mountains. I have family in Clintwood, Virginia (Blowing Rock) and spent many summers in the area. I got myself into some duress hiking one year and the only thing I can think of is the elevation caused it. From my understanding kayaking is great in the area in October when they release the damn. I've never done it but I have watched people doing it. Birch Knob observation tower is a cool place.

http://www.myswva.org/maps/destination/777

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=17258

There are observation towers in Breaks Interstate Park with views similar to the picture I posted above from the Birch Knob Observation tower. Some nice trail loops in the park too, I'm mentioning this because the park is half an hour closer to Elkhorn city. The park is the "Grand Canyon of the South" and a wonderful area if you venture off the beaten path there are caves all over the place.

http://www.breakspark.com/

Some pictures from the trail between Birch Knob and Breaks Park.

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=17259

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=17260

This is a cave but the flash makes it look like it's another natural bridge.

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=17261

• 2 weeks later...

Turned out great! I was a little worried driving 5 hours to a place I had never been, but it turned out good. The good thing about this area is, there is very little, if any regulation. The Breaks Interstate Park used to be non-motorized trails only. Now they allow just about anything is my understanding. Good trails, great scenery! Well worth the trip.

Here is our camp site.

P3210080_zps03d0eadf.jpg

P4050070_zpsdd06c1b4.jpg

P4050050_zpsf33d202c.jpg

One of the guys works for Kokosing, and got us access to some pretty cool places.

P4050022_zps4a210e3c.jpg

P3210078_zpsa4039091.jpg

Edited by Ron505