Cord Camera photography class

cmh_sprint

Has any one taken the DSLR class? If so is it worth it or it better to do some reading and just try the old trial and error with the camera?

I just bought a Canon T3i which is the reason for the question. I've had an SLR but never got deep into photography in the past but want to change that.

Edited by cmh_sprint

I taught their classes for a bit, and now a guy named Gary Walker does all the camera classes out of the Grandview location.

Gary is knowledgable, personable, and ready to help. The class is questionable though, unless you really want to learn about the value of filters whose true usability died with film...

You have immediate feedback with your lcd screen. Try using your AV and TV settings, and experiment. Really, there are only 3 variables to control when taking a photograph: The baseline ISO, the shutter speed, and the aperture, and the best way to learn them is to shoot...

I don't know about the classes or course topics. But I read books and learned quick and by trial and error.
I taught their classes for a bit, and now a guy named Gary Walker does all the camera classes out of the Grandview location.

Gary is knowledgable, personable, and ready to help. The class is questionable though, unless you really want to learn about the value of filters whose true usability died with film...

You have immediate feedback with your lcd screen. Try using your AV and TV settings, and experiment. Really, there are only 3 variables to control when taking a photograph: The baseline ISO, the shutter speed, and the aperture, and the best way to learn them is to shoot...

Thanks for the feedback. I've been doing some reading and watching some Youtube videos and it seems like the read and shoot the camera seem to the best.

I got a good basic book by Scott Kelby when I first starting messing around with photography 4~5 years ago, and it was really helpful.

It explained all the camera functions and when/how to use them, without getting too technical, which was great for a beginner. The best way to learn, as others have said, is to get out and shoot.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364418464&sr=8-2&keywords=digital+photography+scott+kelby"

518AsbcvOsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

• Upvote 1

photography-on-the.net/forum is one of the most valuable resources I've ever used. The last few times that I've been on there the number of posts has been a bit overwhelming though. There are some really awesome faqs that ate of great help. P.s. Even though it's geared toward Canon users, most of the info is universal.

• Upvote 1

I got a good basic book by Scott Kelby when I first starting messing around with photography 4~5 years ago, and it was really helpful.

It explained all the camera functions and when/how to use them, without getting too technical, which was great for a beginner. The best way to learn, as others have said, is to get out and shoot.

The Digital Photography Book

518AsbcvOsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

photography-on-the.net/forum is one of the most valuable resources I've ever used. The last few times that I've been on there the number of posts has been a bit overwhelming though. There are some really awesome faqs that ate of great help. P.s. Even though it's geared toward Canon users, most of the info is universal.

Thank you both for the advice.

I agree with everyone else. A basic photography book will help but you can find everything on the internet very easily. Read your owners manual too. Post up any questions you have and Im sure myself as some of the others on here can answer them.

Its Nikon but still applies to your camera. http://imaging.nikon.com/history/basics/

Bad, did your GF like the camera?

Edited by Mykill

+1 i wouldnt waste the money on classes. everything that can be learnt is on the webs. watch a lot of youtube. ditch the stock 55mm lenses and pick up a good long and close lense. maybe a fisheye.

+1 i wouldnt waste the money on classes. everything that can be learnt is on the webs. watch a lot of youtube. ditch the stock 55mm lenses and pick up a good long and close lense. maybe a fisheye.

Relative to the lens, since you've got a Canon I highly recommend picking up a 50mm f1.8. Yes, it feels like a plastic kids toy, but the optics are outstanding, especially since you can find them for under $100 new. It's a great combination with a Rebel, and is how I started out.

Here's one of the first shots I took with my old Rebel XTi + 50 f1.8

IMG_0028a-L.jpg

A good prime lens and one of the previously mentioned learning resources will be a good start towards some great shots.

Edited by Hailwood

I did end up buying Vols. 1-3 of the Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby. The kit I bought came with an 18mm - 55mm and 55mm - 250mm lens. I also have a 28mm - 200mm from my Élan II set-up. I've been looking at prime lens to, so I appreciate the insight.

Yes, the 50 f/1.8 is a MUST! I have an older mkI metal mount version, and it is by far my favorite lens! Unfortunately, it's not my most used, as the focal length isn't always ideal, but I LOVE the performance of it!

I just need to USE my camera more, and I probably would get better!

some one link a deal on that lens.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens $86 + Free Shipping @ Rakuten

B&H canon EF 50mm 1.8 F II lens for only $94 free ship

The Photography on the Net Canon forum also has a huge classified section that is one of the best places to buy gear anywhere. I bought my 7D and 300mm lens used from folks on there and saved a ton of money over new.

Here's a 50 for $50. It's already sold, but deals come up like that every day.

Edited by Hailwood

I have a cannon 18-55 already. Would the ef 50mm do better then my current?

The 50 has two advantages over the 18-55. The biggest is the really large aperture for light collection and thin depth of field. I used my 50 to take shots around a fire pit at a party using available light only with some really great results.

IMG_8123-L.jpg

The depth of field also creates a very nice out of focus effect (as seen in the cat photo above), and is great for drawing attention to whatever your subject might be.

The other area where most fixed-length primes will outperform most zooms is in sharpness, contrast, and general image quality. For under $100, the 50 is such a good value, I would recommend picking one up just to try it out. If you don't like it you can easily sell it for the same, or a very minor loss.

The lighting kit you posted has all the components that you would probably want, but I don't have any experience with that particular kit. Midwest Photo Exchange in Columbus has a great inventory of reasonably priced lighting kits and very helpful staff. If you have time, I'd definitely recommend checking out their shop before ordering anything.