Starting a restaurant

Tigerpaw

I would like to open a sandwich shop after retiring from the AF. The type of place for a quick hot dog or gyro. I am from Illinois originally and imagine a taste like Portillo's: http://www.portillos.com/portillos/

and similar in size/atmosphere to Chicago Gyro's and Dogs: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/123/1464506/restaurant/Chicago-Gyros-and-Dogs-Dayton

Any thoughts or ideas?

• Upvote 1

My brother in law owns a restaurant. He is there 90 hrs a week and has no life. Says he cant trust anyone to run it when hes not there. Does pretty well with it. Its a greasy spoon home-cookin place in Lancaster.

What's he own? I need some greasy spoon shit in my life ASAP.

My brother in law owns a restaurant. He is there 90 hrs a week and has no life. Says he cant trust anyone to run it when hes not there. Does pretty well with it. Its a greasy spoon home-cookin place in Lancaster.

I expect crazy long hours. Hopefully it could get lower with time, as things fall into place, and a trustworthy manager can be budgeted in. Also, I hope it would be less hours than a true full-service restaurant. I am imagining less than ten actual tables, and the customers picking up their own orders. Many of them to go.

Was a franchisee in a previous life. Quick service food in Columbus. Owned it 3 yrs, sold it. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask away. Definitely expect long hours - but if it's a dream of yours to do it, you can definitely stomach that part of it. I did 110+/week for about the first year of that 3.

A couple quick tips: if you're envisioning a high % of takeout, don't budget much more than a couple tables. Rent can be one of your highest fixed costs (if you're planning on a nice space), and it doesn't make sense to pay for empty sq. footage. In retrospect my restaurant would've been about 1/3 of what it was.

Food cost can kill you. Restaurants 9 times out of 10 are very low margin, and depend upon volume for profitability. Since it sounds like you're planning on starting your own, choose your menu items with margin in mind, and live portion control. (Not only for costs, but consistency as well for your customers)

Don't overstaff. It breeds laziness from staff there, kills your already small margin, and also can sometimes cause confusion with customers as well - you've seen it, just walk in a recently opened chain, it's like a bunch of monkeys fucking a football.

As an owner, don't expect your employees to do anything that you won't also do. Don't force them to always clean the shitter at the end of the night just because they're your employees, do it yourself sometimes - they'll trust you more for it.

Single best piece of advice. Tip Jar. (Applies to quick service) It's for the employees. You NEVER touch it. (Except to divvy it up evenly, month ending or the like). Make it known however that if the register is short by $x's...maybe anything north of $5-10 it will be corrected from the collective tip jar fund. Your benefits - 1. always correct register. 2. incentivized employees to provide good service. 3. Employees will self regulate. We had ppl telling us about a theft prob because it was killing what they were going to get at the end of the month in tips.

I could probably go on for hours with what I learned in 3 years. Feel free to shoot me any questions in a PM and I'll do my best to respond.

And, best of luck to you. It's hard work, but can def end up being a rewarding thing to click on that open sign for the first time.

• Upvote 1

I love Gyro's, and if you can make a good one, ill make a ride day specifically to come down and get one for lunch. Hell, I would make it a point to drive down while on the job to come get one.

Just remember low rent in dayton, usually means shitty ass neighborhoods.

Dayton really isn't what I would call a booming metropolis. I would make sure that wherever your business is located is trafficked. The other thing to remember, if you are looking towards UD student as potential clients are the stupid "flyer cards" or whatever their meal cards are and remember they vacate campus several times a year.

Let us know where you are looking.

Sounds like Chicago Gyro and hot dogs off Wilmington. Location is key to success in Dayton. Where you looking to open up?

Exactly what I want.:D I love that place. Gary is a great guy too. His original is in Cincy.

If I stay in Ohio. I would love to do it in Beavercreek, to catch Wright State and the base. Although that means real high rent.

**This is still years in the making(unless I found a smoking deal, to start before my retirement)**

Not a fan of the Sonic version.

I think Vienna Beef hot dogs make a world of difference. Plus fresher toppings.

See, that's why I want to try the ones you'd make. Sonic is the only Chicago dog I've had; sad I know, but there is nothing around to have different.

See, that's why I want to try the ones you'd make. Sonic is the only Chicago dog I've had; sad I know, but there is nothing around to have different.

Dude you live right down the road from a Chicago Dogs and Gyros...They're gyros arent that great and are reallly greasy, but the chicago dogs are good. not he best but good.