CHL Appointment.... Better Call Now

C-bus

As advised by a person in "the industry", I waited for the new renewal laws to take effect before renewing my CHL.... Expiring this week. If I renewed in my legally allowed 90 days prior, I would have had to be range certified (not opposed to it, I just found it redundant). I called today to make an appointment and they are booked through mid-June!!!! Fairfield is booked through mid-May and Cuyahoga, Richland, Delaware, and Licking haven't called me back. I think I may have found a way in, but don't procrastinate making your appointments!

I know its a tad out of your way but check out Medina county too to see. That is where I got mine and came highly reccomended from our CCW instructor

edit: actually if you're taking 271 to 71 its not out of the way at all

Edited by Bad324
  • Upvote 1

I know its a tad out of your way but check out Medina county too to see. That is where I got mine and came highly reccomended from our CCW instructor

Yep. I used to live in Cuyahoga, now in Lorain. I went to Medina County to get my original and renewal.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys. I'll give them a shout. I'm in Cleveland most of this week, so medina will work. Now let's see if they have openings.

Try Lorain too. They were easy to deal with when i got mine.

I think the issue is that the first group of holders are up for second renewal (April 2004 was when it all began) and, like me, they waited to avoid the range certification.

I know more then a few people who have decided to say fuck it and just walk into their local departments and ended up getting same day service when they were told to make an appointment. I think the whole appointment idea is nonsense. I dont have to make an appointment to get my drivers license renewed.

As advised by a person in "the industry", I waited for the new renewal laws to take effect before renewing my CHL.... Expiring this week. If I renewed in my legally allowed 90 days prior, I would have had to be range certified (not opposed to it, I just found it redundant). I called today to make an appointment and they are booked through mid-June!!!! Fairfield is booked through mid-May and Cuyahoga, Richland, Delaware, and Licking haven't called me back. I think I may have found a way in, but don't procrastinate making your appointments!

Couple of things. A) Someone suggested Medina to you. I doubt they are adjacent to the county you live in B) The sheriff's dept is required to have posted hours where you can walk without an appointment.

More on this? I've never heard of it.

It was put in because certain sheriff's said applications were only processed by appointment but weren't taking appointments or something early on.

Technically, they can still do it by appointment, but thats just a place in line.

ORC 2923.125

(I) A sheriff shall accept a completed application form or renewal application, and the fee, items, materials, and information specified in divisions (B)(1) to (5) or division (F) of this section, whichever is applicable, and shall provide an application form or renewal application to any person during at least fifteen hours a week and shall provide the web site address at which the pamphlet described in division (B) of section 109.731 of the Revised Code may be found at any time, upon request. The sheriff shall post notice of the hours during which the sheriff is available to accept or provide the information described in this division.

After exhausting most options, I was able to get in to Franklin County. I have to admit that their customer service at that office is outstanding. A little kindness goes a long way on both sides.

Not sure about walk-ins being accepted or not. Most counties are stating "by appointment only", but I have to wonder if I would have been turned away. The young lady told me that counties did not have to be contiguous, but you might have to fill out the application, provide proof if training, and a photo as if it was your initial application if you go through a different county than your original.

Thanks for the input... Medina was my next call. And do call early to make your appointments.

After exhausting most options, I was able to get in to Franklin County. I have to admit that their customer service at that office is outstanding. A little kindness goes a long way on both sides.

Not sure about walk-ins being accepted or not. Most counties are stating "by appointment only", but I have to wonder if I would have been turned away. The young lady told me that counties did not have to be contiguous, but you might have to fill out the application, provide proof if training, and a photo as if it was your initial application if you go through a different county than your original.

Thanks for the input... Medina was my next call. And do call early to make your appointments.

Most counties are stating that contrary to the law, as I posted above. Also, yes you can only apply for a permit/renewal in the county you live or an adjacent (this means connected or physically next to) county.

Once again, here is the pertinent section of orc 2923.125

B) An applicant for a license to carry a concealed handgun shall submit a completed application form and all of the following to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant resides:

• Upvote 1

I'm in Butler County and you had to call and setup an appointment that was dated out at least 4 months... I ended up going to Montgomery County and they were still taking walk-ins Mon - Fri like 8am-1pm or so. This was back on March 7th when I dropped off my application.