Fertilizer Plant Explosion...Looks Pretty Bad.

BadTrainDriver

We stop by West every time we drive north to dallas for some amazing kolaches. I have friends that live 55 miles from there and their front door shook so hard it almost flew opened.

Edited by ohdaho

Damn. Thoughts and prayers to those involved. I'd love to smack the guy that was filming it upside his head. Who the fuck sites outside a fire at a fertilizer plant!?!. This also sobering to see what could happen if Scott's would go up.

I'd love to smack the guy that was filming it upside his head. Who the fuck sites outside a fire at a fertilizer plant!?!.

I can think of many places I pass everyday, that look similar to that structure and don't know what they make or do there. Unless there's a big sign posted "Fertilizer Plant", I'm sure he's just your typical rubber necker with a cell phone, not expecting to be in harms way at the distance he was.

I can think of many places I pass everyday, that look similar to that structure and don't know what they make or do there. Unless there's a big sign posted "Fertilizer Plant", I'm sure he's just your typical rubber necker with a cell phone, not expecting to be in harms way at the distance he was.

My comment was based on the assumption that he was a local resident with understanding of what the structure was.

If you don't know, two miles is too close for a major detonation event.

You'll be hurt, maimed, burnt, killed and/or deafened.

A single mil-spec 2000 pound bomb at two miles can knock you off your feet backwards onto your butt. Or at least try to.

Think of what this fertilizer plant felt like. I'm going to guess that it burned into a cargo container or two that contained fertilizer that detonated. That would be measured in Megatons of blast force.

edit: Looked at video again. That video was only 100-150 yards from the explosion. That's way too close.

Co-worker here thinks the vehicle rolled over three times.

Edited by ReconRat

If you don't know, two miles is too close for a major detonation event.

You'll be hurt, maimed, burnt, killed and/or deafened.

A single mil-spec 2000 pound bomb at two miles can knock you off your feet backwards onto your butt. Or at least try to.

Think of what this fertilizer plant felt like. I'm going to guess that it burned into a cargo container or two that contained fertilizer that detonated. That would be measured in Megatons of blast force.

Fertilizer on its own will not detonate from fire. Fertilizer mixed with diesel (anfo) won't either, it needs an initiator like a blasting cap to set up and propagate a shockwave. This was more likely a bleve (boiling liquid, expanding vapor explosion), probably from a large cylinder of some compressed gas used in the manufacturing process.

edited: Fertilizer will burn on it's own at 300°C (572°F). If it's enclosed in a nearly air tight container, it can detonate.

Ammonia nitrate fertilizer does not ignite or explode from shock wave initiation.

Ref the shipyard explosion in Texas. Late 40s.

MSDS for Ammonia Nitrate

Flammability of the Product:

May be combustible at high temperature.

Auto-Ignition Temperature:

300°C (572°F)

Flash Points:

CLOSED CUP: Higher than 93.3°C (200°F).

Flammable Limits:

Not available.

Products of Combustion:

Not available.

Fire Hazards in Presence of Various Substances:

Slightly flammable to flammable in presence of heat, of combustible materials, of organic materials. Non-flammable in

presence of shocks.

Explosion Hazards in Presence of Various Substances:

Risks of explosion of the product in presence of mechanical impact: Not available. Risks of explosion of the product in

presence of static discharge: Not available. Slightly explosive in presence of heat, of combustible materials, of organic

materials, of metals.

Fire Fighting Media and Instructions:

Oxidizing material. Do not use water jet. Use flooding quantities of water. Avoid contact with organic materials.

Special Remarks on Fire Hazards:

Caution: Strong Oxidizer. Contact with material may cause a fire. Contact with combustible or organic materials may cause

fire.

Special Remarks on Explosion Hazards:

It is an oxidizing agent and can self-ignite/detonate when in contact with powdered metals and some organic materials such as

Urea and Acetic Acid.

Edited by ReconRat