Cop pulls gun on drive-thru customer because of slow service

Scruit

In that situation you don't have time. Now if the driver would of been paying more attention to his surroundings he would of had more options.

I agree with the first part but not the second. Sounds like the cop didn't draw until he was at the car, so the driver wouldn't have known he was in danger until then. Bolting away from the cop prior could cave gotten him an evading charge.

When you are sitting there at the drive-thru window, you're in a terrible situation defensively. If the guy gets out of the car behind you then what do you do? Wind up your window? Drive away? Grab your own weapon?

1) Wind up window: Won't stop a bullet

2) Drive away: If you can, you'd look stupid in the 99% of cases where the guy behind got out for some different reason. Once he has his feet on the tarmac he can still shoot you easily. Gun control is irrelevant if he is a cop.

3) Grab your own weapon (lethal force): You're now a cop-killer and we'll only ever hear your side, leaving most to condemn you and jail you. If you survive he encounter - he may "defend himself" and kill you, then only HIS side of the story comes out. "The kid kid asked me up to his window because he needed police for something and tried to shoot me when I got there..."

4) Grab your own weapon (nonlethal): If you deploy your weapon before he deploys his then now you are "assaulting a police officer".

3 & 4) Any use of a weapon against someone who approaches you without a visible weapon is going to be very difficult to justify. If the cop waited until the last second to deploy his weapon then the kid won't have had time to do anything.

Me: I tend to have easy access to a weapon (gun/oc/taser etc) any time I'm stopped in a car handling money - ATM or drive-thru, because I know they are common robbery scenarios. If I'm unarmed I'd more likely conduct my business indoors at the counter where I have more non-weapon defensive options. I think if the guy behind me started getting nasty I'd keep a close eye on him and lock my doors. If he started to get out I'd probably move that weapon from it's quick-access storage place into my lap with my right hand while winding up the window with my left.

The problem is still that the transition between an ornery prick yelling at you to a dangerous man with a deadly weapon happens so fast that you cannot change your defensive tactics at that point - you have to already be prepared.

Anyone whole reaches into my car is not going to take that limb back unharmed.

When you are sitting there at the drive-thru window, you're in a terrible situation defensively. If the guy gets out of the car behind you then what do you do? Wind up your window? Drive away? Grab your own weapon?

1) Wind up window: Won't stop a bullet

2) Drive away: If you can, you'd look stupid in the 99% of cases where the guy behind got out for some different reason. Once he has his feet on the tarmac he can still shoot you easily. Gun control is irrelevant if he is a cop.

3) Grab your own weapon (lethal force): You're now a cop-killer and we'll only ever hear your side, leaving most to condemn you and jail you. If you survive he encounter - he may "defend himself" and kill you, then only HIS side of the story comes out. "The kid kid asked me up to his window because he needed police for something and tried to shoot me when I got there..."

4) Grab your own weapon (nonlethal): If you deploy your weapon before he deploys his then now you are "assaulting a police officer".

3 & 4) Any use of a weapon against someone who approaches you without a visible weapon is going to be very difficult to justify. If the cop waited until the last second to deploy his weapon then the kid won't have had time to do anything.

Me: I tend to have easy access to a weapon (gun/oc/taser etc) any time I'm stopped in a car handling money - ATM or drive-thru, because I know they are common robbery scenarios. If I'm unarmed I'd more likely conduct my business indoors at the counter where I have more non-weapon defensive options. I think if the guy behind me started getting nasty I'd keep a close eye on him and lock my doors. If he started to get out I'd probably move that weapon from it's quick-access storage place into my lap with my right hand while winding up the window with my left.

The problem is still that the transition between an ornery prick yelling at you to a dangerous man with a deadly weapon happens so fast that you cannot change your defensive tactics at that point - you have to already be prepared.

Anyone whole reaches into my car is not going to take that limb back unharmed.

So you're saying that if this happened to you, you could have reacted and "disposed" of the threat...or at least damaged the pigs arm?

And end up with a hole in your head, fuckwit.

Possibly, or maybe I'm quick enough...

Also, aren't you a little beyond name calling? I mean we're not in grade school anymore, i did it once to point out the absurdity. You disagree with me, fine. But throwing in an unrelated insult at the end of a sentence is just so immature and adds nothing at all to the conversation.

So you're saying that if this happened to you, you could have reacted and "disposed" of the threat...or at least damaged the pigs arm?

Cop or not, you have the right to defend yourself against an attack -especially when you cannot retreat.

I don't know what I would have done. Nobody does until put in that situation.

I have been in a road rage situation where the other guy vandalized my car an approached my door. I just locked it and waited for the police. Under those circumstances it worked out for me.

Cop or not, you have the right to defend yourself against an attack -especially when you cannot retreat.

I don't know what I would have done. Nobody does until put in that situation.

I have been in a road rage situation where the other guy vandalized my car an approached my door. I just locked it and waited for the police. Under those circumstances it worked out for me.

I completely agree with what you're saying now.