Anyone turkey hunt?

grapesmuggler27

You can't run and gun with turkeys there eye sight is too damn good. I get a crow call hit thataa couple times wait to hear a gobble or 2 try to figure out there location, when ur close sit up decoys then find a spot to sit down be comfortable I use a mouth clucker so my hands are free have ur gun up and don't move when they come in. Also be in full camo as stated there are a bitch because there eye sight is beasty. I had one come in before just rotated my wrist because of was cramping, I barley moved and boom busted:nono:. Good luck too ya.

Sit with decoys full camo head to toe or in a blind. Turkeys are dumb animals but they have very very very good eye sight and they are stubborn they don't like to cross obstacles. Don't get discouraged if you go multiple times without getting to see a bird. I went two fall seasons and was on second spring season before I got a bird.

The way I prefer is if you can get out the night before with an owl call and see where they are roosting then get out early well before sun up (I used to get out at least a hour before) and get close to the roosting area then right at sunrise hit em with a crow call and wake their asses up and hope they fly towards your area. Trying to get one on the way down or just as it hits the ground is a challenge.

All though it would make a good video if you were to go out trying to run them down with guns a blazing.

• Upvote 1

You can't run and gun with turkeys there eye sight is too damn good. I get a crow call hit thataa couple times wait to hear a gobble or 2 try to figure out there location, when ur close sit up decoys then find a spot to sit down be comfortable I use a mouth clucker so my hands are free have ur gun up and don't move when they come in. Also be in full camo as stated there are a bitch because there eye sight is beasty. I had one come in before just rotated my wrist because of was cramping, I barley moved and boom busted:nono:. Good luck too ya.

What I mean by run and gun is set up for a little while and if nothing comes move to another spot. When you set up how many decoys are you using what what type?

Sit with decoys full camo head to toe or in a blind. Turkeys are dumb animals but they have very very very good eye sight and they are stubborn they don't like to cross obstacles. Don't get discouraged if you go multiple times without getting to see a bird. I went two fall seasons and was on second spring season before I got a bird.

The way I prefer is if you can get out the night before with an owl call and see where they are roosting then get out early well before sun up (I used to get out at least a hour before) and get close to the roosting area then right at sunrise hit em with a crow call and wake their asses up and hope they fly towards your area. Trying to get one on the way down or just as it hits the ground is a challenge.

All though it would make a good video if you were to go out trying to run them down with guns a blazing.

I have close to 1200 acre to hunt in the past month or so I've gotten more pics of turkeys then deer on trail cams. I know there are a ton of birds there its just getting on them.

What I mean by run and gun is set up for a little while and if nothing comes move to another spot. When you set up how many decoys are you using what what type?

Oooh gotcha haha I use 3 hen decoys there are the foam ones, they work well unless u got a good wind blowing. I got them about 6 years ago. But as conn e rott said don't get discouraged if you don't see any or get one ur first couple times out. And a blind would be great less chance for them to bust ya.

Only move if you are certain no turkeys are in the area cuz once you move they will see you. Their eye sight is amazing I mean 99.9% of the time if you see them they saw you long before when I say camo head to toe you need to cover everything no flashy gun barrel either. Decoys can be tricky and maybe a tom and a hen or a lone hen maybe if you have a real dominant tom in the area a tom and hen may bring him right in but if you have young tom it might scare him off try different combos but if you find one fails for certain don't use again on same flock they will remember it. You want them in a clearing but not out in the middle of a field a little breeze always helps so the decoys have some movement and try to keep them about 15-30 yards from you I wouldn't go any closer than 15yds if a tom gets in closer than that you may spook him trying to position for shot. Buy the best decoys you can afford.

It's an adrenaline rush the first time a big old tom comes strutting in on you... don't get too excited and shoot too soon if he's coming in be patient don't over call either I made that mistake before and the damn tom will turn and walk away. Once you have one coming in play hard to get only 1 or 2 clucks every minute or so make him look for her.

Grape; I will make you 1 deal though, you get a bird, come over, we can drink beer and smoke it on my smoker some weekend. Be all manly, gay and shit; you know play with my trains and eat crab meat.

wait, this isn't the trackday/race section is it? But we can smoke the bird, drink beer, and be men.

• Upvote 2

It's an adrenaline rush the first time a big old tom comes strutting in on you... don't get too excited and shoot too soon if he's coming in be patient don't over call either I made that mistake before and the damn tom will turn and walk away. Once you have one coming in play hard to get only 1 or 2 clucks every minute or so make him look for her.

During deer season I wouod see about 10-15 and the excitment from that is what has me interested in turkey this season. Think I'm going out saturday

I went out over the weekend and my parents have been since opening day. No birds and thus far it's been tough. They are all hen'ed up and seem to be fairly call shy. Maybe the end of the week it will change, but so far I'd say everything is about a week behind.

Was looking forward to trying the new SX3 and Kent Tungsten ammo having patterened it out on regular Kent.