Close call

Exarch

So, I was riding home from work today in the rain and I ran into a downed telephone line. I was only doing 35mph, but my visor was a little fogged up and had alot of rain spots on it. Once I saw the downed line I got on my breaks pretty good, but I started to slide so I had to let off the breaks and get back on them again. I managed to keep the bike up and only bump the line slightly.

20130510_144222.jpg

20130510_144232.jpg

I called it in and also managed to stop a truck, who didn't notice the downed line from hitting it. I never thought about looking for something like this while riding, but from now on I will be more alert. I'm just glad it was raining since I usually fly down this road and the rain was the only thing keeping my speed down.

*brakes

shoulda let the truck go on through, then you could have continued on your way... :rolleyes:

for fogged up face shield, try regular (not gel) toothpaste. some folks swear by CatCrap brand no-fog stuff, but I've not tried it.

You'd have been fine either way, it's already on the ground, and your tires are rubber, your bike would have carried none of the current.... just would have been like a tiny speed bump.

I was more worried about the line getting snagged on my bike than anything.

I was more worried about the line getting snagged on my bike than anything.

It's a little pricey but people swear by it and say the little bottle lasts for years.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/rainzip-rain-repellent-3-oz-bottle-with-application-cloth/part/NC-N1410-01?utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=77700&gclid=CNWEjOuYjrcCFcNa4AodpBwAKA

I used rain-x + a defogger last year and it worked just fine. I just need to get up to my dads house sometime to reapply it for this season.

I don't know what the negative effects are but they say rainx is not for use on plastic or plexiglass including motorcycle windshields & helmet visors

I don't know what the negative effects are but they say rainx is not for use on plastic or plexiglass including motorcycle windshields & helmet visors

May have petroleum distillates in it. Causes discoloration. Same is true for Original Bike Spirits, can't use it on your windscreen or it'll yellow it.

I hear it can give your plastic a whitish tint over time, but I have a fix for that if it happens.

A pin lock system is your friend, Scorpion helmets anti-fog shields work pretty darn good too. Big no to rain-X on face shields, pull off visor and wipe regular dish soap with your fingers all over the inside of visor in a very thin layer, then wipe dry with a microfiber cloth. This works pretty darn good for quite a while, and the price is right. Also consider a helmet which allows you to ever so slightly crack open for venting "like a Shoei". Regular good ole pledge is most excellent for the outside of visor, and all over the bike too for that matter.