Wtf Ohio bmv?

redrocket04

Anyone here have experience with the Ohio bmv? I had my endorsement, and when I moved back to Ohio, they didn't out it back on when I got my Ohio license. I'm told I need to go back through the whole revenue generating BS to begin with temporary permit, then take the riding portion to get an endorsement.

So I think "f that, I already paid for MSF class, permits and endorsement once, I don't want to pay again" and I email the state. They send me back a response that includes:

Our records indicate that you obtained a motorcycle temporary instruction permit identification card (TIPIC) on 3/16/2010, and it expired on 3/16/2011

Our records indicate that you added the motorcycle endorsement on the Ohio driver license on 3/24/2010

Our records show that you transferred the Tennessee driver license to an Ohio driver license on 1/16/2013 (out of state conversion)

You may present a verification letter from the State of Tennessee confirming the Tennessee driver license did display the motorcycle endorsement. You may have the letter faxed or email to our office for verification. The examiner will acknowledge the verification letter and enter the proper information into the database in order for you to complete ONLY a vision screening and knowledge test. The examiner will also waive the novice requirement

So, basically they're saying yes, there is a record that I took the tests, passed the test, and was issued the motorcycle endorsement on my license, but they see an opportunity to charge me more money, so they're going to make me go through it all again. Tennessee is about useless when it comes to getting them to provide verification, as one would expect.

I've been riding illegally since January, it looks like, and I'm now not allowed to ride after dark.

Ok I'm done with the rant.

Hell if you want to really know a shitty manuver they use to tap you for more money, dont ever fall late on getting your licenses for your vehicles or drivers, its an additional $20 charge if your late for EACH license.

In Ohio, if you ever for any reason drop any endorsement off your license, and then go to get it back later, you must restart the whole process over again. I know it sucks but its true.

everyone with a motorcycle endorsement needs to read this and remember it, because the dolt behind the counter could not care less whether or not she puts your endorsement back on your license.

you'd think it would be automatic, but you'd be wrong.

when you renew your license, check it before you leave, or better yet mention the endorsement when you hit the counter.

Hell if you want to really know a shitty manuver they use to tap you for more money, dont ever fall late on getting your licenses for your vehicles or drivers, its an additional $20 charge if your late for EACH license.

more than 6 months and you get to start all over again: temps, driving test, annoyance, elevated hatred of the BMV, etc...

Edited by jblosser
added the other post and my comments

The ladies here always make a point to tell everyone to check all info and make sure everything is correct so that this does not happen. Motorcycles, boats and non-commercial trailers are exempt from the $20 fee if your renewal is in winter months and they prorate the cost when you do renew.

everyone with a motorcycle endorsement needs to read this and remember it, because the dolt behind the counter could not care less whether or not she puts your endorsement back on your license.

when you renew your license, check it before you leave, or better yet mention the endorsement when you hit the counter.

I've been dreading getting my WV license transferred up here (and that includes losing my CHL). I had an OH license before going to Hillbilly back in '06 but haven't bothered to switch it back.

As it stands, I might not have to if I can land a new position in PA in the Philly area. I'll just walk in, take the eye test, and walk out with my endorsement intact.

Fuck Blowhio (and my current employer).

more than 6 months and you get to start all over again: temps, driving test, annoyance, elevated hatred of the BMV, etc...

Yes because once you walk out the door you're fucked if it isn't on there

They are supposed to verify your endorsements are going to be kept before they renew. My wife worked at the Shelby County BMV office as the assistant manager for 5 years. If you want a knowledgeable office to go to, go to the Beavercreek office, the woman that runs it is very good, and keeps her employees in the know on the correct procedures.

Oh yeah, incase your not aware, there are only a couple of BMV offices that are ran by the state, the Columbus office for sure is, and IIRC the Cleveland office is. The other satellite offices in the counties are all ran by Deputy Registers that bid out their contracts every couple of years.

Yes because once you walk out the door you're fucked if it isn't on there

As I found out. I just think its shit that they send me an email and have the fact I had an endorsement, right down to the date, but they can't just put it back.

On the plus side, I did pass my written exam today to get the permit today, even without studying the handbook. :rolleyes:

As I found out. I just think its shit that they send me an email and have the fact I had an endorsement, right down to the date, but they can't just put it back.

On the plus side, I did pass my written exam today to get the permit today, even without studying the handbook. :rolleyes:

So how hard is it to pass a skills test? Weave some cones, use your brakes properly and turn a little better than a mack truck and you're golden.

It sucks but now that you've already paid for the part that costs money, the skills test is a walk in the park...

• Upvote 1

So how hard is it to pass a skills test? Weave some cones, use your brakes properly and turn a little better than a mack truck and you're golden.

It sucks but now that you've already paid for the part that costs money, the skills test is a walk in the park...

Truth. It's the principle of it, though.

Yep, always check everything on your OL when you renew. If they forget to add an endorsement, they can fix it while your file is still up. After they close it and your "M" is gone, you're screwed. ALWAYS VERIFY EVERYTHING BEFORE LEAVING THE BMV!

Same thing for me.. I got stop doe a DUI back in 08.. I wasnt drinking but ther ewa salcohol in the back seat that had spilt so car smelled like acohol... cop was a dicl.. he was a rookie when i was a cop yrs ago, and they took me to station etc.. and booked me for DUI... ended up pled no contest to a plea bargain to end it after 5 months of court etc and i was driving a lot for work. i was an agency nurse at the time and wanted it to go away.. well when i got my license back at bmv they didn't put my endorsement on there.. said nothing they can do... i ended up paying the $25 an took returning rider course from state then took that in and got my endorsement back.. it sucked taking time out of my day but wasn't so bad.. i had class with some cool ppl.

You do have to check what they do. They goofed my birth date one time. I had to go back with a birth certificate, but they didn't charge for correcting it.

I was real careful getting my endorsement back when I returned from the Army. And the chauffeur's commercial endorsement. Both are often dropped under those conditions. I still had to take the skills part, since there wasn't previously a skills requirement when I left Ohio. It wasn't bad, the examiner waved me off the course half way through.

The instructors I had warned out class of this. Both said from this day forward anytime we renew or get new license always check for the motorcycle endorsement because it will happen and not to leave BMV until they fix it. They seem to always have one in each class who this happened to. :(

As most all of the BMV's are NOT run by the state and the deputy registrars are political appointees, it is my opinion that many things are at the discretion of the registrars and their employees. I renewed some plates that were expired over the allotted amount past my birthday and did not pay the $20 penalty, the employee asked why I had done that and I told her it was in storage over the winter, she nodded and I paid the pro-rated amount to May 1st. These plates were not on the listed exemptions. My opinions only.

In Ohio, if you ever for any reason drop any endorsement off your license, and then go to get it back later, you must restart the whole process over again. I know it sucks but its true.

When I was there last month, I mentioned this to the lady there and she said it's not true anymore but didn't elaborate. I assumed they had a better record keeping process now to prevent that from happening. I guess not.

When I was there last month, I mentioned this to the lady there and she said it's not true anymore but didn't elaborate. I assumed they had a better record keeping process now to prevent that from happening. I guess not.

I will clarify this with my friend who runs the Beavercreek BMV

She got back to me faster then I had anticipated. I formed my comment above into a question and her answer is

"No you have to retest unless you can prove that the endorsement was dropped by BMV due to a glitch"

Edited by Gunner75

I had just renewed my license in Florida in 2009 before coming to Ohio in 2010. My Florida license with endorsement was not set to expire until 2019. I went to get my Ohio license as required by law, they took my Florida license, made me retake the written exam, dropped my endorsement saying I would need to take the motorcycle test and pay the fee, and now my license expires this year. BS. Well, now I have a bike, so I am going through the process of getting my endorsement. Passed the written test without reading the book. Riding test on this Thursday.

I had just renewed my license in Florida in 2009 before coming to Ohio in 2010. My Florida license with endorsement was not set to expire until 2019. I went to get my Ohio license as required by law, they took my Florida license, made me retake the written exam, dropped my endorsement saying I would need to take the motorcycle test and pay the fee, and now my license expires this year. BS. Well, now I have a bike, so I am going through the process of getting my endorsement. Passed the written test without reading the book. Riding test on this Thursday.

I just read this off to my wife, and she wants to know how that felt getting fucked up the ass? She said there was no reason that they should have dropped your endorsement and retake the test