Guhl Motorsports review

cOoTeR

As some of you know the 2011-2013 Zx-10r's have been heavily restricted here in the US. So basically you get cheated 15-20 hp to meet the emissions requirements. Apparently even in stock form the bike is too loud. In order to be able to sell them in the US Kawasaki decided to use the ECU to tone them down. Part of what they did to the US version is drop the rev limiter 500 rpms and at about full throttle the secodaries in the throttle bodies close back down to 70% open. The bike is still really quick and puts down about 160-164 hp but should be closer to 180. A regular pc dyno tune will not fix this. Your options are you can basically throw some extra wiring into your wire harness but noone really knows what all it does to the bike to derestrict it other than it puts out proper hp afterwards. You can google "ivans wire mod Zx10r" for more info on that. Or you can have the ECU reflashed. That's where Guhl motorsports comes in.

They reflash the ecu so that the secondaries work properly take the top speed limiter off and can bump the rev limit up 1,000 rpms. They also have options to make the traction control able to change while the throttle is open. Also stock if you turn TC off then turn the bike off and on the TC resets to on which is annoying if you want it off all the time. If you change your exhaust you cant remove the exhaust servo motor without getting an FI light they fix that too. But the coolest thing they can do is actually tune the ECU like a power commander. Then if there is an issue with the tune or you change the bike and need a new tune or they find something elsetey can upgrade you just need to pay shipping and they will re-tune it for free.

I took my ECU out Monday. It was a slightly time consuming task because it is in the airbox and requires the tank to be removed. I mailed it monday around 3:30pm (6:30pm eastern) using a flat rate box from USPS. Guhl motorsports got it Wednesday and called me Wednesday morning to go over the changes and tune I wanted. They reflashed it and mailed it back Wednesday. I paid $20 extra for 2-day shipping and got the ECU back today. Total cost including shipping was around $400 which isn't bad compared to a pcV and a tune.

While the bike was down I pulled the removable baffle out of my slip on also.

I got the ECU installed and have only gotten a short test drive up the street but man did it make a difference. The bike feels powerful across the rpms and just screams up the road making the traction control work if its on. Great service from Guhl motorsports fast turn around too. I highly recommend them to anyone wanting to reflash their ECU. This is a must do for the new Zx-10r.

Edited by cOoTeR

I took the bike to work last night and wow it is a totally different animal. Super quick throttle response and the power band is longer. The bike used to not feel like it was pulling hard until about 8k rpms. Now its hard to stay on the seat anything over 4k.I definitely recommend this to anyone. I'm kind of curious what the top speed is without the limiter but don't want to get arrested trying to find out. Maybe the dyno will give me an idea.

The Guhl reflash is a great modification on a number of Kawasakis. I had it done on my Concours. The secondary butterflies limited power low in the rpms. After the reflash, it felt significantly better. This big bike will even pull the front end up.