Why do I see so many sport bikes with 1 headlight?

KZ900

Am I missing something or is it cool to ride around with only one headlight? I would say I see this on one out of three sport bikes.

It's not that cool to ride with only one headlight but it is totally uncool to ride around with your high beams on. As said above, right side= low beam, left side= high beam.

To be seen during the day, you're advised to run your high beam...or has this changed over the years since I learned to street ride back in 80's?

As for my Duc, the low beam is actually setup as a high beam, if I recall correctly, so I can just run one and be fine.

To be seen during the day, you're advised to run your high beam...or has this changed over the years since I learned to street ride back in 80's?

I ride with high beams on in the daytime allot when I am by myself, always have and always will.

This and this. I always run high beams during the day. I've done it since i started riding and was reenforced when i took the MSF course years ago.

My '97 YZF1k had twin dual element bulbs where both sides were lit, my ZX14 has 4 headlamps ( 1 low beam 1 high beam per side ). Never owned a sportbike where both weren't lit and if I did, I'd surely convert both to dual element.....but I'm a symmetry phobe. My wife's 250R and her new 300 were both right side low, and both on bright......bugs me, but she doesn't mind it I guess

High beams in the eyes are obnoxious. They are designed to light up dark roads when there is no oncoming trafffic. If you ride with them on during the daytime towards me I will do likewise whether in my car or on my bike. There are other less obnoxious things you can do to make yourself seen. Bright gear, lane position, bobble, etc. Yes, the msf course taught you to do this. They also teach you to use 4 fingers on both the clutch & brake, no brakes in the corners, brake before all corners, etc. They also teach about target fixation & high beams give drivers the perfect target on which to fixate.

High beams in the eyes are obnoxious. They are designed to light up dark roads when there is no oncoming trafffic. If you ride with them on during the daytime towards me I will do likewise whether in my car or on my bike. There are other less obnoxious things you can do to make yourself seen. Bright gear, lane position, bobble, etc. Yes, the msf course taught you to do this. They also teach you to use 4 fingers on both the clutch & brake, no brakes in the corners, brake before all corners, etc. They also teach about target fixation & high beams give drivers the perfect target on which to fixate.

Your opinion and you're entitled to it.....but.....as other's have stated, you're wrong.

• Upvote 1

One of the things I like about the VFR is the big dual low beams. I have had cars almost pull out in front of me and stop, I think, because those beams were staring 'em down.

Edited by DAC
  • Upvote 1

Your opinion and you're entitled to it.....but.....as other's have stated, you're wrong.

My opinion is neither right or wrong. It is merely my opinion. Poll 100 drivers how they feel about you coming at them with your brights on & see how many have a favorable opinion of you.

My opinion is neither right or wrong. It is merely my opinion. Poll 100 drivers how they feel about you coming at them with your brights on & see how many have a favorable opinion of you.

I'm pretty sure most would agree running the high beams is the right thing to do.

And since you brought it up, as for their opinion of me....I don't give a fuck what they (or you) think, life isn't a popularity contest and I'm not trying to be cool.

I agree with jschaf...running brights during the day is simply annoying and can still be blinding to drivers and at best makes it harder to judge the speed of the oncoming bike. Like others said, wear bright colored clothing, helmet, etc if you really want to be seen. This is why I wear a neon yellow helmet.