Moto Series Round 2, Nelson Ledges May 31-June 2

TRMN8TR

good weather, good people, and good times.

i didn't do very well results wise (I think I got like 6th or 7th or something during the sprints)... i got black flagged on the first sprint due to being a dunce and not realizing that my muffler was coming off (it happened like 4-5 laps in), and though I got a pretty good start in sprint 2 and making good progress, did poorly on the red flag restart and not fast enough to make up for the gap.  that said, with all the good (and fucking fast) novice racers, i made some headway on my lap times, so i'm generally pretty happy.  i'm starting to get better taking notice as to what the bike is doing, how it's moving and why, and really started to appreciate how much feedback i'm getting from the tires and actually paying attention to it.

saturday night also proved to be a lesson to women that you should never let a bunch of hungry dudes do the grocery shopping cause we managed to rack up like a $150 in meat, cake, and other unimportant food items to grill at the house after the track day.  next time, if we're not all completely exhausted, we can shoot some pool or play games (well, if my ps3 isn't broken again) or maybe i'll even remember to not be a terrible host and actually show you around the house.

congrats to ryan for doing great on his first race weekend. my condolences to everyone who skipped this race weekend for other inferior events.  what a mistake you've made in your life... you should probably consider seppuku.

Edited by jbot
  • Upvote 1

this is kinda related, but a few of us were sitting and chatting during the track day on sat, and the subject of how everything and everyone changes during the race. and basically, my contribution was "I think we just get stupid cause of all the hormones".

i won't say i'm miserable at the shop even after the race weekend, but i can say that race day is the ONLY time i become just completely oblivious about what's going on at the shop.  normally, i'm constantly thinking about this deadline or that fuck up, or some other customer... but during race day, all i think about is, "how do i prevent myself from going a bit wide in turn 1" or "why can't i get a good drive out of turn 13" or "fuck, i think my muffler is flapping in the wind"

i did catch myself thinking about how weird it is that yesterday, i forgot about everything i was supposed to be doing today.

saturday night also proved to be a lesson to women that you should never let a bunch of hungry dudes do the grocery shopping cause we managed to rack up like a $150 in meat, cake, and other unimportant food items to grill at the house after the track day.

Speaking of, who do I owe and how much for the food?

All I can add about the weekend is that I hope I can get my head out of my ass for Beaver and run some decent times.

Speaking of, who do I owe and how much for the food?

All I can add about the weekend is that I hope I can get my head out of my ass for Beaver and run some decent times.

Sounds like that 2 day race school really helped this weekend.

:D

new rule: people who weren't even at the race weekend don't get to talk shit about their betters.

Or talk shit about people that are faster than them. I think I found a few issues with the suspension yesterday, it really sucks when you are going through 4 and the bike is bouncing so bad your knee keeps leaving the pavement and your ass is out of the seat.

yeah, you and holy-wood need to get your shit worked out stat. it's bad enough having to change oil on those damn things... having to work out suspension issues on top of that is almost too much.

Well, rough weekend for me to say the least. I'm definitely rusty, but the bike was nearly unrideable once I got to 15's or so. In race one I was doing 16's which is 3 full seconds off my pace from last year. And I felt like I was pushing the bike as hard as I could. It was just very stiff and wanted to run super wide out of the corners. I think I have some serious geometry and suspension issues goin on. I think the front may need to be lowered and the suspension loosened up. In race two I binned it in turn 13. I have no idea what happened, the front just tucked and that was it. My thumb is bruised up pretty good but its not broken or anything. Broken radiator, brake lever, and rearset.

I had a great time just hangin with the guys again though, and our ridiculous feast at Jinu's was spectacular. I'm just super frustrated with the bike and my riding right now. Hopefully I can get this thing put back together and set up correctly for Beaver.

Edited by Hollywood33

Well, rough weekend for me to say the least. I'm definitely rusty, but the bike was nearly unrideable once I got to 15's or so. In race one I was doing 16's which is 3 full seconds off my pace from last year. And I felt like I was pushing the bike as hard as I could. It was just very stiff and wanted to run super wide out of the corners. I think I have some serious geometry and suspension issues goin on. I think the front may need to be lowered and the suspension loosened up. In race two I binned it in turn 13. I have no idea what happened, the front just tucked and that was it. My thumb is bruised up pretty good but its not broken or anything. Broken radiator, brake lever, and rearset.

I found that with mine during the first round.  Almost the exact that you are saying.  I lowered the front 5mm and upped the rear 1mm.  Felt better but I think I still need to change it a bit more.  The GP carts are crazy stiff.  I took a few turns of preload out of mine and it fixed most of my issues.  I know your bike is an 07 and mine an 09 and they are very different but try 5mm front since the GP carts increase front ride height by 12mm.

Edited by nk140

I found that with mine during the first round. Almost the exact that you are saying. I lowered the front 5mm and upped the rear 1mm. Felt better but I think I still need to change it a bit more. The GP carts are crazy stiff. I took a few turns of preload out of mine and it fixed most of my issues. I know your bike is an 07 and mine an 09 and they are very different but try 5mm front since the GP carts increase front ride height by 12mm.

Exactly. I went to take preload out of the forks, turned it one turn and that was it. So the springs in them are probably a little too stiff for my weight.

videos from the panda cam

Novice, videos from morning and afternoon sessions:

Advanced, only a few minutes worth:

Edited by jbot

nice job with the novice videos jinu. i didn't have the videos when i first started but i would have loved to see myself riding. im sure all of the novice riders appreciate the hell out of the time you take to help them out

• Upvote 1