Seems Glock is having issues

Gunner75

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/05/13/report-raises-concern-about-glock-handguns/

Ive not heard about this myself but I did find it interesting that some people are blaming the problem on the ammo used.

MIAMI (CBS4) – A never before released report by the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office raises questions about the reliability of the Glock semi-automatic handgun used by its deputies.

Obtained by CBS4 News, the confidential sheriff’s department document outlines a series of incidents in which problems with the Glock firing pin caused the gun to malfunction and not fire.

check the link out for the rest of the story and the video

Sorry I hold nothing against Glocks and I don't even own one. Firing pins break, so do extractors, it happens. I have broken two firing pins in the last ten years. First one on my 1911 and the other in a Browning shotgun. Both my guns have 10's of thousands of rounds through them at this point. If the officers trained with their weapons regularly maybe their guns have high cycle counts on them also. Besides, has anybody looked at the quality of what usually passes for police trade-in's at most gun stores. :wtf: I wouldn't wish some of that crap on criminals let alone officers with how beat up the stuff is.:nono:

Sorry I hold nothing against Glocks and I don't even own one. Firing pins break, so do extractors, it happens. I have broken two firing pins in the last ten years. First one on my 1911 and the other in a Browning shotgun. Both my guns have 10's of thousands of rounds through them at this point. If the officers trained with their weapons regularly maybe their guns have high cycle counts on them also. Besides, has anybody looked at the quality of what usually passes for police trade-in's at most gun stores. :wtf: I wouldn't wish some of that crap on criminals let alone officers with how beat up the stuff is.:nono:
Hasmi said after CBS4 News first sent him the report, he took apart his own Glock weapon – the one he carries when he is on duty. He said he found unusual chips on the head of his firing pin

Asked if it concerned him, he replied: “Yes it did. I wasn’t aware of this issue that’s going on [until I read the report]. I mean I don’t put an excessive amount of rounds through my gun. I fire maybe five to six hundred rounds a year out of it.”

500-600 rounds a year is not that much IMO. I consider myself a low volume shooter and can easily do that. I am with others here that think Glocks are overrated. I don't consider them a bad gun, but I personally would never own one because I think they are ugly, feel terrible in my hands, and I don't need the supposed "extreme durability" they are known for. I hope this is just a batch problem for them though, its a pretty serious accusation the article is claiming.

Maybe because their an overpriced paperweight....:D

The Glock price is right in line, and in many cases lower, with every other "quality" handgun on the market.

If the need arises to draw your weapon you're betting your life on it to work. I'm confident in my G19 in that moment. Can you say the same about yours or did you just get what you could afford and hope for the best?

Checked my G19 firing pin. Looks like the day I bought it. Not a ton of rounds through it, but never a hiccup, regardless of ammo brand or anything else.

Will keep an eye on the pin.

And it will continue to look that way.

The problem with "most" cop guns is neglect. Most cops shot very little, some only at their yearly qualification. Many cops clean and oil their gun less than they shoot it. The gun is out in the elements daily rain, snow, humidity and often cleaned maybe yearly. When it's not in the elements it's often left in their duty belt thrown in the trunk or in their locker in a humid locker room. Duty weapons are often neglected, it's a company supplied tool to many cops. Not all but many. This issue is the same with MP, Sig, Barretta, FN all the common dept issued duty weapons.

Assuming hes got the same pistol that he posted in his pictures hes got a Hi point C9

I have one too believe it or not. It's never given me trouble but I wouldnt bet my life on it. It's my garage gun, stays in the garage tool box as a just in case last resort kind of thing. I have no problems with it but I'd never carry it. It's a gun I gave 50 for to leave in the garage and won't be out much if it gets stolen

Edited by MidgetTodd

Google any brand + "malfunctions" and you will have pages of interwebz lore. After thousands of rounds through my Glocks, I have never had a single Malfunction. Not a single one ever. To me... My G19 is reliable. I don't need my gun to win any arguments on ORDN, nor do I care what others carry or shoot.

• Upvote 2

My g21 has held up perfectly.

For those saying "over priced"...as compared to what?. Glocks cost what they cost because of the reputation they have built. I see them as costing less than most except kel-Tec, hipoint....etc

Edited by 330racing

I have one too believe it or not. It's never given me trouble but I would bet my life on it. It's my garage gun, stays in the garage tool box as a just in case last resort kind of thing. I have no problems with it but I'd never carry it. It's a gun I gave 50 for to leave in the garage and won't be out much if it gets stolen

I've seen to many people have problems right out of the box. My buddy Jake bought one new and it had fte right out the box due to a improperly fitted ejector. Yeah they fixed it with a new gun but I won't own one. It also doesn't help that they weigh as much as a brick either. I like glocks as they are a great duty gun and can take some abuse. I personally own 2 Springfield Armory guns. An Xd9 for target practice and eventually IDPA, and my carry gun is an XDs .45. Both have close to 1000rounds through them without a single ftf, fte, stovepipe, light strike, or any other malfunctions. I would carry a glock but everyone has them so I wanted to go a different route.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Glocks pricing compared to many others is actually lower, and all pistols malfunction eventually whether induced by the shooter, ammo, or an issue with the firearm itself. Glock malfunctions are rare at best, I have a hard time putting any consistent blame on the firearms in question. Although neglect of cleaning and oiling "whatever" should not really have any substantial impact on a Glock, their torture testing has seen MUCH MUCH worse.

I like glocks, but I'm too partial to a DA/SA style trigger setup to carry one.... I regularly see new glocks selling from 450-650... I don't consider that overpriced in the slightest... It's pretty much the same as any other quality handgun unless you start talking sig, Hk, etc... I paid 600 for my gfs 9mm brand new (same price I paid for my used daily carry gun), which is a gun with a Walther frame and magnum research internals... rather spend more money on quality than cheap out on a gun I carry to protect myself... I've spent more on ammo than I have on my gun

Edited by Steve Butters

• 2 weeks later...

I worked with an ex cop, he only would shoot his qualifying rounds each year... And nothing beyond that, so like... What 10 rounds, great guy but, yeah wouldn't rely on him to protect me.