Rhill and Jester_ on the dragon

Jester_

You wanna just run back? :D

That was a fun ride, wanted to keep moving. Next time, we are planning a route out through 28, up&down the dragon, 28, gas, skyway. Sorry Doc, not stopping every 10 miles for photos next time :p

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLxrrW2wwMM&

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMUR_XDwaFc&

Edited by RHill
  • Upvote 1

hard acceleration and braking warms tires weaving does not.

This is true...but it must serve some purpose, these WSBK racers do it prior to lining up to the start of the race, see 4:32 - 4:33 minutes in. Is it a kind of final shakedown?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV6_j_xaYMY

I wish I could have made this trip...Nivin tried to recruit me, but I couldn't get the time off work. Next time!!!

Dave G.

It was a good time, but hopefully the next trip isn't spoiled by weather....still was well worth it....at least for me because I trailered :cool:

i stopped the video as soon as someone started weaving. hard acceleration and braking warms tires weaving does not.

Mentioned that it doesn't really heat the tires after we got back. I do it sometimes to get in the mindset to flick the bike, to get comfortable, out of boredom on a straight, or to setup extending a turn.

This is true...but it must serve some purpose, these WSBK racers do it prior to lining up to the start of the race, see 4:32 - 4:33 minutes in. Is it a kind of final shakedown?

[ SBK ] World Superbike 2013 Round04 Monza Race2 HD - YouTube

Speaking of prior to the start of the race, why do some racers seemingly pump and release the front brake repeatedly as they come through the grid? You can see the nose of the bike dive hard when some of them do it. Heat in brakes and front tire?

[ SBK ] World Superbike 2013 Round04 Monza Race2 HD - YouTube

it cleans the boogered rubber and any other crap off their SLICKS so they can charge hard into turn one.

On a street tire, weaving is completely pointless. it's not like you're leaning the bike far enough over to really clean off the tire, and street tires aren't made to heat up like race tires.

it cleans the boogered rubber and any other crap off their SLICKS so they can charge hard into turn one.

On a street tire, weaving is completely pointless. it's not like you're leaning the bike far enough over to really clean off the tire, and street tires aren't made to heat up like race tires.

Makes sense.

Speaking of prior to the start of the race, why do some racers seemingly pump and release the front brake repeatedly as they come through the grid? You can see the nose of the bike dive hard when some of them do it. Heat in brakes and front tire?

Bedding new brake pads in?

Looking back it was all good even if we got rained on. May be the rain was good to keep us tamed and not do any thing rash.

You mean like....uhhhh....damn near throw a bike off a cliff? :p

Or warming the rotors and pads for better bite? Or to deglaze them a bit? Often wondered that myself

They're not starting the race on brand new pads. Plus they've been using them on the warm-up lap, so even if they were new, they'd be deglazed long before stopping on the grid. I see new racers use the warm-up lap as a parade lap too often. You've gotta keep as much heat in your tires as possible on that one lap. it's part of the race, even if the green flag hasn't dropped yet.

As for the hard braking,I think it's just a feel thing. Getting as much heat as possible into the brakes may be part of it. GP bikes especially need stupid amounts of heat to work well... I liken ceramic brakes to the downforce in F1 racing. There's a "dead zone" where either just doesn't work. You have to trust that they'll work, or you're screwed.