DIY Gyrocam

Kent2406

Cool build, but the wooden case is a bit lackluster.....definitely needs to be aluminum housed ( eventually ), but this was obviously a cheaper way to mock up the prototypes. I like it and it's still compact. The only change I'd suggest would be to wire in a DC jack to allow things to run off of the bike's power instead of needing 2 batteries for the cam and gyro servo. I don't have the mental capacity, nor the patience to take on a build like this but there is definitely a market for it

Cool build, but the wooden case is a bit lackluster.....definitely needs to be aluminum housed ( eventually ), but this was obviously a cheaper way to mock up the prototypes. I like it and it's still compact. The only change I'd suggest would be to wire in a DC jack to allow things to run off of the bike's power instead of needing 2 batteries for the cam and gyro servo. I don't have the mental capacity, nor the patience to take on a build like this but there is definitely a market for it

If you go into the links at the bottom, he's updated the case to a 3D printout, and if I remember correctly, he offers the files to download, so you can print it out yourself. That is, if you have access to a 3D printer. We're suppose to be getting one at work in the next couple of months.

I definitely wouldn't want to use the camera he has. It's like $400. I know I could design a different case and setup for a different camera, but I suck at electronics. I don't understand all that mumbo jumbo crap.

• 11 months later...

The only change I'd suggest would be to wire in a DC jack to allow things to run off of the bike's power instead of needing 2 batteries for the cam and gyro servo.

The only issue I could see in wiring this to the bikes 12v system is the gyro startup time. the types of gyros used in a project like this typically need a few seconds of no movement to establish their level, and start stabilization. by wiring to the bike's power system, you would have to be aware to not start the bike as soon as you turn the key.

Awesome project, and great documentation, but for those that aren't so electronics savy, or don't want to spend the extra time tweaking source code, the RC community has many different gimbal controllers that allow for image stabilization. the lower end 2 axis stabilizing controllers could potentially eliminate the need to solder/build circuits and program/tweak source code... and can typically be found for around $30-$50.

I'd like to get the electronic guts and build my own enclosure out of aluminum or carbon fiber.

Have any links to a suitable stabilizing controller that would work? One capable of handling the extra weight of an aluminum enclosure would be best.

I can't say I have built one of these, but you could start with this:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41386__2_Axis_Brushless_Camera_Gimbal_Stabilization_Control_Board_w_IMU.html

I don't know how something like that will handle the vibration introduced from the motor/drivetrain/road, but the concept is there, and it would have some level of vibration tolerance built into the software. 

The weight isn't a major concern to the controller, nearly as much as it is to the servo you use to drive the camera/gear. 

The weight isn't a major concern to the controller, nearly as much as it is to the servo you use to drive the camera/gear. 

That's more of what I was referring to; a higher weight capacity motor. If  that could be had for cheap along with this controller, then making the housing is a piece of cake.

Probably need to come up with a weight for the enclosure and then find the motor.

Edited by Earache

depending on how you enclose the system, you could do similar to the original link, and leave the camera external to the enclosure... doing that would mean the only weight you have to consider is the rotational weight of the camera....

The enclosure in the original link really only serves to enclose and/or protect the electronics of the system, including the lipo batteries. 

the servo used in the original link, the HS-425BB, can be had for $13 http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-425bb_super_sport_bb.html#.U2j8K_ldWCk

Using a gear drive system to rotate the camera, as used in the original, would reduce the felt weight on the servo motor, and thus, the $13 servo works fine. 

Remember, rotational weight is typically lighter than lifted weight...

yes yes and yes

yes, the brushless-gimbal can be used ... I started with that too

but for me it was zu big and unhandy ... so I decided to build it smaller and with a stronger motor to make it possible to use a gopro with the housing.

yes, it can be powered from the motorcycle battery or from a 3S LiPo-Accu

yes, the gyro should be calibrated on startup - but must not be - you can disable this within the software-gui but I recomend to calibrate at least the

gyro on startup - so this is the default setting.

I heared it often that people like to build a metall-housing - but what for?

the laser-sintered nylon is very strong and lightweight - I just don't see the need to spend more money for no benefit.

In a few weeks I will put a partlist and maybe also a small howto to the public on my facebook-site - but fist I have to find better settings

for racetracks - for now I have only found good settings for usual roads at normal speed ... roadracing and racetrack settings have to be found ...

and last but not least I will sell a couple of these units to get a part of my input back.

pure material costs (including the plastic) is arround 200$ (without accu and charger)

there is no soldering needed but 2 cable-connectres have to crimped on ... but it's not such a big deal

this video shows 3 testrides ... with different gyro-integration settings (and minor other changes)

the lower video (gyro=200) shows the best setting for 'standard speed' (between 50 and 150 km/h) I have found so far

I would like to have equal good results on the racetrack to get satisfied

I heared it often that people like to build a metall-housing - but what for?

the laser-sintered nylon is very strong and lightweight - I just don't see the need to spend more money for no benefit.

Because I have a metal shop with lathes, milling machines, etc and I like metal, dammit! :crazy:

mosci - if you are running this off of the motorcycle battery, do you need to use any sort of power filter or voltage regualtor?

Also - have you thought about the safety factor when it comes to using LIPO batteries? I think I would prefer a bit more of a crash resistant case such as the metal case that Earache is thinking about... 

LIPO batteries are volatile little suckers, and I would rather have a safety factor built in... not sure I would want this to happen on the bike:

omg ... a pencil can be deadly too ;)

I'm aware of this - but this is mostly happened when people act stupid ... and recharge overdiscarged lipos ... or because people used demaged lipos

(or they just want to make a action-loaded video :D )

some of the older boxes from derek (the servo driven gyrocam like in this original posts but for gopro => http://revenanteagle.org/checksix/gopro-gyrocam/)

get's broke on some racetrack-crashes ... but none of them is exploded ;)

or they simply fellt off like here

most real racebikes don't even have a battery - or also a LiFePo Battery only for starting the engine - you can use this also to power the gyrocam ... but it's not safer at all

what power-source is used is up to everyone himself - i prefer lipo-batteries ... they are small, cheap, fast charged, and deviler enough power over a long range of time.

Sheesh...pencils are dangerous...I just got a splinter from one ;-)

Truly most lipo fires are from negligent users, but I can speak from personal experience that when it comes to lipo batteries, safety is never to be underestimated... I burnt up a brushless stadium truck due to a wall impact. The lipo was perfectly fine prior to impact.

I suppose as long as the enclosure is rugged enough, the material is fairly irrelevant...