The Umbrella Image

just_some_dude

And? Doesn't change how I feel about it. Any man who can't hold his own umbrella should be ashamed.

As long as we understand that your ire is directed at the umbrella thing, not the "Obama" thing.

If they really are "color guard" and only there for decoration, I don't see a problem. Unless every other branch has the same dress code as marines, which I am unaware of.

No disrespect meant towards any service members. I think the notion of having service stand around unarmed just to look pretty is outrageous in itself. We have enough problems in the world where service members could be utilized rather than decorating the white house

They are also known as "honor guard". All branches have representatives, mostly doing funerals at Arlington National Cemetery. They also do important functions at the White House. They are there for arriving foreign leaders, etc.

Majority are just out of boot camp for 2 year assignments.

I was approved for the job, but decided getting out after 6 years made more sense. Plus, standing around in DC in the winter time didn't sound fun. The rest of the job looked really cool. A lot of time twirling a rifle around, etc.

Chris

You were a squid and clearly don't understand that every Marine is a Rifleman first. Therefore, they're not just another pretty boy standing around holding umbrellas for ignorant civilians vs. not being qualified as a front line fighter because they're on special duty at the White House - that's total bullshit.

Yes, I was in the Navy, a so called squid. I was integral in keeping the USS Pennsylvania operational and underway. Battle stations diesel operator for years. FYI, the vessel I was on had more firepower than the entire history of the US Marine Corps.

You clearly don't understand that all Honor/Color guard personnel are 'decoration'. Those guys holding an umbrella didn't have a rifle with them. I bet they didn't even have an operation rifle assigned to them, only a ceremonial one with the barrel filled with lead.

You seem to have bought into the brain washing of the Marines. The US Marines has been doing Honor Guard for decades and will likely be doing it decades from now. Not sure how you can overlook their assignment which has nothing to do with being a rifleman and feed me some bullshit about how they are rifleman first...

Chris

Yes, I was in the Navy, a so called squid. I was integral in keeping the USS Pennsylvania operational and underway. Battle stations diesel operator for years. FYI, the vessel I was on had more firepower than the entire history of the US Marine Corps.

You clearly don't understand that all Honor/Color guard personnel are 'decoration'. Those guys holding an umbrella didn't have a rifle with them. I bet they didn't even have an operation rifle assigned to them, only a ceremonial one with the barrel filled with lead.

You seem to have bought into the brain washing of the Marines. The US Marines has been doing Honor Guard for decades and will likely be doing it decades from now. Not sure how you can overlook their assignment which has nothing to do with being a rifleman and feed me some bullshit about how they are rifleman first...

Chris

Actually I'm going to disagree partially with your statment. The primary job of the Marines at 8th&I Marine Barracks is to provide security for Camp david. All the other stuff is just extra duties and every Marine you see ariund the president are all 03xx MOS (imfantry) and every single one of them havr a operational m16 assigned to them.

Actually I'm going to disagree partially with your statment. The primary job of the Marines at 8th&I Marine Barracks is to provide security for Camp david. All the other stuff is just extra duties and every Marine you see ariund the president are all 03xx MOS (imfantry) and every single one of them havr a operational m16 assigned to them.

Are you saying that the honor guard are the same as the ones assigned to protect camp David? I don't know this for sure but would highly doubt it.

The honor guard from what I saw was pretty boys only.

Are you saying that the honor guard are the same as the ones assigned to protect camp David? I don't know this for sure but would highly doubt it.

The honor guard from what I saw was pretty boys only.

Pretty sure they rotate around. When your assigned to 8th&I every one is the same height and weight and are all hand picked.

In the UK the ceremonial guards at Buckingham Palace etc are active duty soldiers on a short-term assignment. My brother stood guard there for a while between tours in Iraq and Northern Ireland.

In three of the pictures the umbrella doesn't match the skin color?

Sent while riding

What? The race card? How SHOCKING? It has DICK to do with his skin color. WAKE THE FUCK UP and get your head out of the sand. See this man for who he truly is!

This space intentionally left blank to avoid offending anyone

What? The race card? How SHOCKING? It has DICK to do with his skin color. WAKE THE FUCK UP and get your head out of the sand. See this man for who he truly is!

This space intentionally left blank to avoid offending anyone

I'll assume you're being a smart ass just as I was, but just in case...

I think the argument is equality if anything, how come he gets an umbrella that matches, were all four presidents given the option of umbrella color? I doubt it...My comment has everything to do with umbrella color and nothing to do with skin color. Maybe to avoid this discussion the umbrellas should be a neutral color like blue or red....:rolleyes:

Sent while riding

Why not have an umbrella holder on the pulpit? Then no one needs to stand there and hold it.

Sent while riding

Because that stand was being used to hold the teleprompter screen...

I can't believe this thread is still going (he wrote, as he kept it going.... yeah yeah yeah).

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

Chris

:rolleyes:

Most of the well dressed service members are part if the color guard. Most go straight there from boot camp and their job is to stand around and look pretty. Usually members from all 4 branches. They do the funerals, heads of state dinners, etc. Definitely unarmed. They still are happy with the military and haven't experienced much

People whine about everything Obama does. Some deserved, much undeserved.

MUCH DESERVED....is more like it.