Need some trailer input

2talltim

I'm getting ready to fasten my D rings to my trailer long story short the way the subframe and cross members are the spacing doesn't work out the greatest. My question is would mounting the D rings on top of the rail cause any problems that you guys could think of. The rail is 1 foot off of the bed of the trailer and I think its plenty sturdy enough to support straps and tie downs. Or would you just fasten the D rings to the wood and not worry about being on a crossmember. Here's a picture of what I'm thinking about you can see the D rings on top of the railapypyheb.jpg

As long as the top rail is made of angle iron and stiff enough to not deflect under a strap load, go for it. I've got an 8' trailer and that's how I've attached my D-rings. It actually is a better mount position for the straps than the floor--it reduces the angle of the straps.

Yeah I like the top of the rail idea mainly because it's a hell of a lot easier to mount them. The ones in the middle will still have to go in the floor obviously.

The biggest problem I see with fastening to the decking is that the boards are only bolted to the cross members on every other cross member. And where I would need to put the tie downs is dead nuts center between where it is bolted. so if it is going to flex anywhere it will flex there

I think either is fine. Like Midget stated, they can bolt right to the floor. In our enclosed trailers, that's how we do it and it doesn't need to be mounted into a cross member.

Also like the short one mentioned, you don't roque these things down to the point you are going to bow the wood...

You can also go to the top cross over without issue. The length of a typically tie down is fine and you can tie the extra amount to be easily pulled and undone.

Best words of advice? Don't over think it...

apypyheb.jpg

When it comes to 'overthinking it'...don't drill an mount the rear D-rings where you've got em placed. Too difficult to get a nut on the bolt. Move 'em fore or aft of the fender arc. ;)

For the front D-rings, you can mount those on the toprail as well to help keep the strap angle pulling forward into the wheel chock and still keep the strap away from the body panels better. And Bubba raised a good point on the rear rings. Mount them more forward of the fender to help pull the bike towards the wheel chock.

I discovered that where mine are mounted dont pull my bike forward enough so when I backed it down a steep driveway at Hocking, my bike slid back about 6". Luckily no damage, but I am definitely changing where the rings are mounted.

Meh since I've only used my trailer for 1 bike so far haven't bothered with D rings. Just hook the ratchet straps to the rails and has worked fine

i want the bottom of the rails to be a back up option.

Yea I thought about adding some E track I have laying around but since we're taking Paulys trailer now or the Gap trip, my motivation and need pretty much vanished. Hell I'm just happy I got 3/4 of the thing painted this morning :lol:

Ok got them where i wanted and i have feed my intercraving to over do it. (because thats what i do). If its twice a good as it needs to be it isnt good enough in my book.

I ended up putting the front and rear cornners on the inside of the angle iron upright, will still have the angle needed and they will be in solid metal. The ones on the sides and the center front and rear i was able to get them close enough to the edge to at least catch one of the bolts to a frame rail. and the one in the very center i had to just put on the wood(spliting two boards)but im goting to put a 1/4" 4x4 aluminum plate underneath to spread the weight and im going to put extra carriage bolts in the crossmember nearest to those boards.

So yes i over did it but i would have drove me crazy if i didnt. i would take pisc but i need to run in town to get more carriage bolts, so its not done but the holes are all drilled.

All done, took the gate off for this trip and using a ramp, One because the Vsrtoms fat ass needs to hang out about 5 inches and two it's less weight and wind drag. Spare and front box is mounted and ill post a few pics so you can see what I was talking about with the D rings. Put a couple pumps of grease in the wheels and checked the tires. Ready to roll to the gap. e9y7e5a8.jpgtypy5utu.jpgeha7ube7.jpg8a8y7ane.jpg