"No problem".

YSR_Racer_99

It seems like this is everywhere all of a sudden. Instead of "You're welcome", people are throwing out "No problem" when I say "Thank you". Even professionals whom I deal with.

This is NOT the same as "you're welcome". Its more of a brush-off comment which trivializes the whole exchange.

"No problem? Really? Are you SURE? Because if it IS a problem, I REALLY want you to let me know. Seriously.".

It seems like this is everywhere all of a sudden. Instead of "You're welcome", people are throwing out "No problem" when I say "Thank you". Even professionals whom I deal with.

This is NOT the same as "you're welcome". Its more of a brush-off comment which trivializes the whole exchange.

"No problem? Really? Are you SURE? Because if it IS a problem, I REALLY want you to let me know. Seriously.".

i usually say "your welcome" but sometimes i do say "anytime".

I say "No worries" a lot. Same as "No problem".

When you ask for something to be done or ask for something and someone does it for you and you say "Thanks you", the response is based on the fact that it isn't a problem helping out a fellow associate or friend. I say "No worries" as it shouldn't be a worry to ask and me to do it for you in assistance...

I hope you're just joshin around as if you are getting irritated over a response like "No problem", my guess is that maybe people WILL stop helping and it WILL be a problem assisting you.

Look at the Spanish/Mexican language. The say "De nada". Which translates back to English as "of nothing". Which can the same as, it's nothing, no big deal, no problem, forget about it, don't mention it, ect...

Edited by QuikAccord

I say no problem, you're welcome, you got it, it's cool, anytime, Oh yeah or any other response I feel is appropriate given the circumstances...

A more traditional "you're welcome" is probably a safer bet in a more formal relationship, but I've never seen a problem with any of them.

i've gotten into the bad habit of replying with "yup" when people say "thank you" or "have a nice day" or whatever.

i'm trying to stop, but something deeply rooted in my psyche is making me interact with other people like a complete aloof arrogant ass

I've bben saying No Problem for 20 years after I went to Jamaica. Everything down there was Nooo Problem Mon. When I use it as a reply to Thank You, I really mean, Dude you didn't have to thank me.

Really? Really? Not one person above has ever said "My Pleasure?" I use it every time. Professionally it makes me stand out because I mean it when i say it to my customers. Friends and family it is the same way, it is my pleasure to do what you asked of me.

• Upvote 1

I've bben saying No Problem for 20 years after I went to Jamaica. Everything down there was Nooo Problem Mon. When I use it as a reply to Thank You, I really mean, Dude you didn't have to thank me.

In the Turks and Caicos islands they say; "No problem, no stress, mon..."

Who? Me? Or Scruit? (or both...)

I was referencing you as I thought we shared the same sentiments on all the new age PC bullshit. Obviously I can't stand it, I just thought it was ironic someone who doesn't care for PC shit is venting about something seemingly PC.

and that is if I'm even thinking correctly :lol:

No worries (wait. Should I let this annoy me???).

I don't see it as a PC thing, but more of a courtesy thing. I don't see the point in calling midgets "little people" when everyone is thinking "Yeah, whatever. He really means "midget"...

Its mostly wait staff that annoy me by saying it. I'm sure that no offense is intended, and in general none is received, it just "gets my attention".

"May I have a carryout box?".

"Sure, here you are".

"Thank you"

"No problem".

"So if it WAS a problem, would I have had to get up and get it myself? Just curious".

Yeah, its a dickhead thing on my end (right, Desmo?), but hey.

Actually, I've never come back at anyone with a smartass comment like that, but its probably getting close.

Usually I just say 'Welcome. Otherwise, No worries.

Somehow, though, I've noticed that I've picked up the strange habit of saying Good Morning in response to Hello, no matter the time of day.

Unless it's actually morning, then I just grunt.

No worries (wait. Should I let this annoy me???).

I don't see it as a PC thing, but more of a courtesy thing. I don't see the point in calling midgets "little people" when everyone is thinking "Yeah, whatever. He really means "midget"...

Its mostly wait staff that annoy me by saying it. I'm sure that no offense is intended, and in general none is received, it just "gets my attention".

"May I have a carryout box?".

"Sure, here you are".

"Thank you"

"No problem".

"So if it WAS a problem, would I have had to get up and get it myself? Just curious".

Yeah, its a dickhead thing on my end (right, Desmo?), but hey.

Actually, I've never come back at anyone with a smartass comment like that, but its probably getting close.

I don't think it is being a dickhead since you decided to single me out. But, I do think you either are WAY too thin skinned or you have poor comprehension issues.

If you ask for a carry out box and the guy responds with no problem, he's essentially saying it was no problem to get you what you requested. I don't see the issue here and certainly not enough to make a big deal over it.

Ask me for a carry out box and I say "Well, I can't right now because it's kind of a hassle and I don't have the time." Would that be better? Or, I could get you the carry out box for you since it would be my pleasure to assist customers and when you say thank you (Deserved), I would say "No worries", "No problem", etc.

Where is it that it is proper courtesy to say "You are welcome."? My problem is that the society we are now has some people that adapt to the changing times. Some do not. Kind of like "My old man" syndrome of sorts where people WANT the world to stay the same, but it simply doesn't.

I suppose you hate getting texts vs. talking on the phone. I suppose you hate the fact that people are constantly checking emails and messages for work during a night out with friends - they should focus on you only and not the world as it works with no closing time?

The world is different than it was in the 50s. People don't dress up to fly on planes anymore. People don't have proper table etiquette when eating out. People wear jeans to board meetings.

Talking about professional and even high end business owners and what is expected. When I worked for a pretty popular company and the owner was one of the top 5 richest men in Orange County, CA, he always wore shorts, smoked cigars constantly and dropped more F-bombs than any drunken sailor. I am sure that would pull your skin clean off...

Time is a changin. Don't embarrass your kids and try to keep up. Quit being so damn thin skinned.

:rolleyes:

<<I don't think it is being a dickhead since you decided to single me out>>   Good.  That was more of a reference to the past, but however you interpret is fine.

<<But, I do think you either are WAY too thin skinned>>  Possibly

>>or you have poor comprehension issues>>   No, not at all. .

<<Ask me for a carry out box and I say "Well, I can't right now because it's kind of a hassle and I don't have the time." Would that be better?>>  No.  "You're welcome" would be better. 

<<Or, I could get you the carry out box for you since it would be my pleasure to assist customers and when you say thank you (Deserved), I would say "No worries", "No problem", etc>>  

Yeah, that would be fine.  Difficult to "poorly comprehend" that one. Actually, like I said, "No worries" is not nearly the same to me (and my poor comprehension) as "No problem".   

<<"Where is it that it is proper courtesy to say "You are welcome."?>>  In my book, and from when I was a kid and parents taught kids manners, that was the standard response.  "Manners" like chewing with your mouth closed, keeping your elbows off the table, etc.   Yeah, "old school" stuff.

<<My problem is that the society we are now has some people that adapt to the changing times. Some do not. Kind of like "My old man" syndrome of sorts where people WANT the world to stay the same, but it simply doesn't.>>   I've adapted fairly well.   Would I like some things to be "the way they used to be"?  Sure, but I know thats not realistic.     I think a lot of basic common courtesy is dead.  As evidenced lately, "change doesn't always mean its better".   We were out with our Realtor, looking at houses on scheduled appointments, and he wouldn't stop answering his phone.   In my opinion, that was bad service and bad manners, and something I wouldn't have done.  I leave my phone in the car when in a house on an appointment.  I would never think of telling the homeowner to wait a second so I can answer my phone.   . 

<<I suppose you hate getting texts vs. talking on the phone.>>  No.

<<I suppose you hate the fact that people are constantly checking emails and messages for work during a night out with friends - they should focus on you only and not the world as it works with no closing time?>>   To some degree, you're correct.   I find it scary that teenagers and early-20s seem to HAVE to have something electronic in front of them.  Its almost an anxious disorder type of thing.  

Its okay to turn the phone off.  Nobody really gives a piss what you had for dinner.  Talk about self absorbption. I don't understand how people have enough extra time to contstantly update Facebook, send Tweets, etc.  Oh wait, its because they're constantly connected, with something electronic in front of their face.

>>The world is different than it was in the 50s. People don't dress up to fly on planes anymore. People don't have proper table etiquette when eating out. People wear jeans to board meetings.<<

I wasn't around in the 50s, nor much of the 60s, but I don't view them as completely bad things.  I completely agree with all three points.  Suits are only for funerals and interviews (I guess.  Haven't interviewed in a while, but if I did, I'd wear a suit).  

The modern conveniences are nice, but at some point I think we need to step back once in awhile.   Turn the phone off.  Pay attention to the people you are with.  Its interesting to sit in a restaurant (why is this all focused around food?  I need to eat breakfast...) and watch a table of people go through a whole meal with hardly a word to one another because they're all on their smartphones.   

One of my daughters friends (a face to face friend, not a "Facebook friend") always talks about all of her friends, but I never see anyone at her house nor her going to their houses.  Odd to me. 

<<Talking about professional and even high end business owners and what is expected. When I worked for a pretty popular company and the owner was one of the top 5 richest men in Orange County, CA, he always wore shorts, smoked cigars constantly and dropped more F-bombs than any drunken sailor. I am sure that would pull your skin clean off...>>

Good for him.  He made his own rules.   He obviously made an impression on you.    Could things be different if he was more "conventional"?   All rhetorical, of course.

>>Time is a changin. Don't embarrass your kids and try to keep up<<

A parents job is to embarrass their kids, isn't it?  Especially when they're teenagers?   My kids know me well, and their mom is here to balance them out with "dad vs. the real world".   We've raised our own kids, not thrown them in daycare at 6 weeks old to let others raise them.   We've taught them to not chew with their mouths full, to not put their elbows on the table when eating, and that family is important.  We haven't had to shower them with toys because we feel guilty about putting them in daycare for 45 hours a week.  Am I uptight?  A little bit now, and a lot less than I used to be.   We've raised great kids with good manners, and they're not neutoric germophobes or anything like that.   They seem to be responsible, well-balanced, and happy.   Thats what its all about.   But I appreciate you worrying about them, even though you haven't seen one in fifteen years and the other not at all. I'll let them know you said "Hello". 

Quit being so damn thin skinned.<<

And this.  Coming from anyone else wouldn't have carried the same context.   

Love ya, Brian.

:rolleyes:

Edited by YSR_Racer_99