Think Twice Before Giving To Red Cross For Anything!!!

JackFlash

The internet is full of stories about the Red Cross keeping money for themselves

that is intended for victims, from the 1989 San Francisco earthquake to the present

day.

>>  Issues with where money donated to the Red Cross actually goes began long before 9/11. Allegations of keeping donated money go, at least, as far back as the 1989 San Francisco earthquake. Victims reportedly only received $10 million of the $50 million dollars donated.

>>  In 2008, the Washington Post revealed the fact that new CEO Gail McGovern was set to make $500,000 dollars a year with a $65,000 signing bonus

>>  "...One charity has stayed above all this for 137 years. The Salvation Army is unique among all U.S. charities for many reasons. Let,s start at the top. Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary just $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 Billion dollar organization. By comparison, Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary (plus numerous expensive benefits) and the Red Cross President Marsha Evans receives $450,000 plus benefits..."

Nothing new. It's pretty widespread. Just google your city name and "charitable CEO compensation" for an education. In C-Bus, it's Janet Jackson, Matt Habash in the former politico category and one of the Pizzuti wives in the, well, rich-guy wife category. Are they paid too much? Who knows? If they can schmooze the titans and get big donations, maybe they deserve it.

As for the Red Cross, $500k to run that organization is chump change. National organization with huge impact. And there have been situations where funds have been misdirected but I think those folks get shown the door pretty quickly. The irony is that people will donate to a specific event while the base organization is underfunded. People in disaster zones need standard services like blood products, health and human services that are in the standard - and stretched - base budget.

Edited by DAC

Yes, they are mostly all like that. I think by law they can keep 80%. And some get away with more than that.

I was always told that Savation Army and Catholic Children's Services were the two that did not do that.

And yes, all those phone calls asking for money keep 80% to 100% of what you give them.

Probably the main reason I no longer have a land line.

edit: And I still like the Red Cross. There is worse.

Edited by ReconRat

Don't mi d what the CEO makes, but am skeptical of how much donation money they keep compared to what is used for help. There are many other organizations who use closer to 60% - 80%. My rule is 60% or greater.

• Upvote 1

Think twice before reposting chain emails that you haven't researched for yourself...

Or just check snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

Salvation Army CEO paid ~$127k, 82% efficiency

Red Cross CEO paid ~$511k in 2011.  92% efficiency

Some people claim that certain charities are 100% efficient.  That's not possible even with an all-volunteer staff, unles the staff also pays for buildings, insurance, government filings, vehicles, gasoline etc.   Don't get confused into thinking that a charities internal costs are all in CEO salary (or salaries of all staff).  How does the red cross get helpt o people in disaster situations?  They have vehicles, insurance, registration, maintenance, gasoline etc.

Edited by Scruit
  • Upvote 3

It's a tuff decision donating with all the non-profits knocking on the door. They all make %'s, even the "volunteer" recruiter knocking on your door for a donation. When possible I prefer to give to non-profits where there is a seen direct impact. Unfortunately that is limited to local sports teams for t-shirts and gear.

I volunteer for Habitat and the only thing i make is someone smile. Habitat volunteers do not make anything, however the do have people on the payroll and rightfully so.

I do donate to certain groups but i do not always donate money, it is usually Blood or products of some sort.

Not for profits generally make as much not for profit as they can.

I personally prefer to donate to volunteer driven, 100% local.... Charity Newsies for one... As a teacher, my wife sees first-hand the benefits to those kids.... Not to their parents.

Latest hoopla is about united way not give the families of the chardon school shootings the money collected. Families are now suing the organization ane the trustee. I think it is like 975,000 collected and only about $120,000 given out.  They are saying the money should go to the whole community. But they are still not releasing any of it.

I volunteer for Habitat and the only thing i make is someone smile. Habitat volunteers do not make anything, however the do have people on the payroll and rightfully so.

I do donate to certain groups but i do not always donate money, it is usually Blood or products of some sort.

I meant the volunteers that call themselves volunteers but solicate donations. Maybe not all but most I've ran into.