Question Regarding Tire Selection For High Speed Endeavors

2fat2fly

I have a question for all the high speed guys;  What tires are you running? I'm looking to replace both tires on my 12 and I want high speed rated tires that will hold up to a run at 200 mph at the Ohio Mile and attempts at rotating the Earth at the dragstrip. Any suggestions? I have 2 rear rims and I plan to have a drag tire on one rim and a street/LSR tire on the other rim. The front will stay the same. Any suggestions on brand and style? What kind of life are you getting out of what you have? Any I should steer clear of?

Q2's for street/mile. Not sure what the hot brand/model would be for 1/4 mile. As for mileage, I've only put 400+ on my spare wheels with the Q2's, but I like them so far ( as do a lot of track guys ). For street longevity ( and mile too if you want ) I like the Roadsmarts for longer life under a big bore bike and still get good grip in the corners. I've managed to get an avg 4-5k on Roadsmarts, with an easy 3-4k of that commuting interstate all season ( 75 mile round trip to work daily ) and some hard play in the mix too

Edited by Hellmutt

I think I remember a lot of guys diggin on the Shinkos for the dragstrip since they're cheap and still heat up good enough to hook. Pressure around 25psi IIRC?

Edited by Hellmutt

I've never used the Shinko tires but I'm looking at them now. I'm thinking about the Shinko Hookup for the strip.

I'm on the fence between Dunlop Q2's and Michelins for the other two tires.

Unless you need a new rear I would just run whatever you have on it at the strip. The strip is very sticky by its self. I don't know if you have ever been on the strip with your bike but you can feel your boots sticking to the track.

Also I ran Q2's on the strip without doing any burnouts. Never had a problem with wheel spin. In the same breathe im no pro at drag racing either. Learning to launch at the strip is totally different than on the street. Ride over to kilkare this year and give it a go. There is a pretty good OR turnout some nights.

Mike's run this bike down the strip before, lowering links and strapped front according to pics he had on the build thread. He's faster than he'll ever boast for sure, definitely a modest guy for all he knows and is capable of. Boosting this stock wheelbased bike at the strip will pose a whole new experience though :D

Definitely want to heat up the rear for this thing, even at low boost pressure.....Kilkare for sure, I'm excited FOR him - gotta let me know when you plan to go Mike!

Edited by Hellmutt

Thanks Hellmutt. If I ever need a PR guy you'll have a job. 

Due to the extensive mods on this bike I'll need to learn to ride it again. It'll be totally different from the bike I remember so I will be a novice for awhile if I claimed any different I'd be lying.

Edited by 2fat2fly