Natchez Trace Parkway

Tonik

So the wife and I just got back from 2200 miles of down south.  We hit Nashville then picked up the Natchez Trace Parkway. Took that all the way to the end in Natchez MS then cut over to New Orleans for a few days. Then slabbed it back home. It was pretty awesome. Except for just as we got to Nashville the weather was awesome. We got real lucky on that part.

I am surprised I don't see anyone talking about the Trace. Never seen it mentioned on message boards. Folks should give it a look. 450 miles of 50 mph perfect 2 lane blacktop through a National Park. There is not one single stop sign or light for 450 miles.  I only saw two cops, in the Alabama section the whole way. Tons of history stuff to stop and look at..and the road is awesome.  Certainly not twisty like the Smokeys but very curvy and hilly.

Spent an afternoon in Tupelo, saw some Elvis stuff and an awesome car museum. One of the best I have ever seen. Then of course New Orleans was epic.

Pics:     http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimkennedy/9000916471/

• Upvote 1

I ride the trace every couple weeks. I only really enjoy the first 50 or so miles then jump off at the Liepers Fork exit. I would really like to do that trip you mention. It would be a blast.

I really enjoy the trace, but I think its not a more popular road because of the speed limits and the road does straighten out somewhat after the northern 50 or so miles.

If I recall you're on a cruiser, that road seems very well suited for that type of bike. Glad you enjoyed it!

I ride the trace every couple weeks. I only really enjoy the first 50 or so miles then jump off at the Liepers Fork exit. I would really like to do that trip you mention. It would be a blast.

I really enjoy the trace, but I think its not a more popular road because of the speed limits and the road does straighten out somewhat after the northern 50 or so miles.

If I recall you're on a cruiser, that road seems very well suited for that type of bike. Glad you enjoyed it!

Yep, perfect cruiser road.  You are right about the first 50 miles, that was awesome.  I could just ride up and down that all day long stopping for lunch and dinner at Loveless. Dang that was some good food. Those biscuits rocked! I went past two Alabama troopers at 57 in a 50. Two cars, one running radar one writing tickets.  First one hopped out of his car and I think he was going to flag me over until my wife waved at him..then he smiled and tossed us a peace sign and got back in his car.

I spent a few days on the trace last September, camped near Hohenwald and took day trips up and down and all through the two lanes around that area. Very nice, lots of history, lots of scenery, lots of nice folks. No trucks, very few police, a really good time anytime of the year. SSSSHHHHHH, its good not many folks talk about it or know about it, lets keep it that way!

Its similar in that its got a low speed limit, no commercial traffic, no traffic lights or stop signs and is fairly well maintained. The Trace is a bit flatter after about 30 miles south of Nashville rolling through farmland whereas the BRP is a bit more mountainous and bit more remote and a lot less places to pull off into nearby towns. I found a lot less traffic on the trace, but it was September.

It's definately not a twisty adventure (south of TN anyway) but the roads are very well maintained and low traffic. Lots of amazing places to stop and take pictures, read up on history or just relax.

• 3 weeks later...

I rode it down to new orleans two years ago. The speed limit is very low. And it's more of cruiser type of road but it's still very fun since there is like 500 miles of no traffic. It's certainly no blue ridge parkway if your looking for twisties