Availability Surcharge

Scruit

I'm at the Subaru dealer getting a recall checked out. While I'm waiting I see there is an Impreza STi with an msrp of $36k. Then it lists a "Dealer installed option" of "availability surcharge: $5k" pushing the price up to $42k

Is that exactly what it looks like? They are rubbing your face into their profit margin? Screw that.

I was going to look into buying 1 after my wifes accord is paid off in a few months. But screw that I think I'd tell them to go scew themselves instead of paying extra for nothing.

Dang, I missed a golden opportunity to make money here.  I have a friend that gets us into Subaru's VIP program.  Dealer invoice minus 2 percent. We just used it a month ago to get my wife the Impreza Sport loaded out. I could have bought one of these and sold it here for profit.

I wonder if they only charge that on in-stock cars - so if you order one and get on a waitlist then you don't have to pay it?

yup that is exactly what it was with the GTO

It also was not a Corporate sanctioned fee, it varied dealer by dealer

Edited by Bad324

yup that is exactly what it was with the GTO

It also was not a Corporate sanctioned fee, it varied dealer by dealer

Similiar to when the "new" Shelby GT500 came out in like 05 or 06. MSRP was around $60k, dealer mark ups pushed the price of a lot of them to $100-120k. It was certainly a bad ass car, but no stock mustang on the planet is worth that much money.

Edited by TRMN8TR