Help Needed - Headlight & Parking Lights Replacement Bulds

silentcropduster

Trying to get some straight info on replacing my park lights with LEDs and even my turn signal lights on my fairings with LEDs...

What is every body using on here?

Also, my stock headlights are replacments I believe but they are the stock bulb replacments thou.

Being that said if I went to some Sylvania Ultra Star's (which does pull a lil more juice) would that burn anything out? Like the housing or wiring harness?

I'd like to increase the brightness of my headlights - they are OK - but it would be nice to be a lil brighter to help see deer and such.

I've researched this but cannot seem to get a straight answer : - /

Get Sylvania SilverStars that fit the headlight immediately. Pick the part number carefully.

The correct ones for bikes are vibration resistant. Relatively low cost and a quick fix.

Any LEDs that don't need additional wiring and resistance.

As in cheap and plug and play would be good in my book.

Tail light and brake light, I'd want the best I could find.

The internets have a ton of choices, it can be very confusing.

But I've had luck on prices and selection on truck and boat websites.

Edited by ReconRat

Recap from Shoutbox:

Headlights,

Sylvania's are a good "same as stock" replacement. Slight blue tint and a slight difference in wattage (depending on the model).

LED's, Clean, stock drop in and nice color. Only issue I have found is the level of brightness is less than stock or Sylvania bulbs.

HID's, Very bright!!!! stock bulb replacement (in most cases). With your bike the wiring gauge is small and draws a heavy load. The fix is to install heavier gauge wire from the battery with a relay. These bulbs last a long time, not as long as LED's but still a long time.

Turn signals,

LED turn signals look awesome and last forever!!! The only downfall to this is the lack of power they draw. Since they draw so little power the relay thinks the light is blown and causes it to flash rapidly. This can be fixed by either installing resisters at each bulb (10ohm 10watt from Radioshack @ $2.49 a set), or changing the relay under the seat.

Changing the turn signal relay is fairly simple and is probably the cleanest.

Edited by baggyp

Recap from Shoutbox:

Headlights,

Sylvania's are a good "same as stock" replacement. Slight blue tint and a slight difference in wattage (depending on the model).

LED's, Clean, stock drop in and nice color. Only issue I have found is the level of brightness is less than stock or Sylvania bulbs.

HID's, Very bright!!!! stock bulb replacement (in most cases). With your bike the wiring gauge is small and draws a heavy load. The fix is to install heavier gauge wire from the battery with a relay. These bulbs last a long time, not as long as LED's but still a long time.

Turn signals,

LED turn signals look awesome and last forever!!! The only downfall to this is the lack of power they draw. Since they draw so little power the relay thinks the light is blown and causes it to flash rapidly. This can be fixed by either installing resisters at each bulb (10ohm 10watt from Radioshack @ $2.49 a set), or changing the relay under the seat.

Changing the turn signal relay is fairly simple and is probably the cleanest.

For HID's - whats the approx cost and approx hours it would take to install?

UGh. I never should of said anything wednesday night

that hid kit looks like straight shit.

flasher relay needs replacing like people said above for LED signals.

there less tacky LED license plate bolts at iron pony for like 12 bucks. I showed you them at QS a few weeks ago

and you already have flush front signals. you just need to replace the bulb

Edited by Koreo

adding resistors is a giant pain in the ass, I've done it once and never again. If you know how and don't mind dealing with them I think I'd highly suggest you do them FOR silentfartbreath

That's the plan. I set him up with all this stuff, and since not all of it is straight forward to hook up I'm gonna install it for him (he's helping).

I would be a serious dick to tell him to buy all that with no further direction....... I'd might even feel bad....... Kinda......

yea but that will only work on the turns and you'll need 2 of them I bet. Getting the right plug n play's would be less than the $24 it will cost to get the flasher relays

Edited by Bad324

I'm confident baggyp & i can install everything fairly easily. I dont see what the big deal is...THIS DUDE WORKS WITH WIRING FOR A LIVING. Way to have faith, holy shit.

And its not like I have 1k wrapped in this. It cost me just over $100...i dont drink or smoke...im willing to be some of u who just posted on this thread thinking it might be an epic fail DO...which i'll go on a limb and say that u spend more than $100 a year on cig's and alcohol...even.

Edited by silentcropduster