Oval Track Truck Racing

Kent2406

So me and a friend have been building an 02 Dodge Dakota to race at the local oval track. We were hoping to have it done by the end of this summer, and at least race one or two races, but I don't think we'll make it. The truck is currently stripped down to the frame, cab shell, and motor. Should finish welding up the rollcage tonight. We have most of the suspension components, but will need to do some modifications for fitment. I need to finish the wiring harness. Which was not fun! I bet I've removed over half the wiring so far, and have condensed it, along with all the other electrical components, such as fuse boxes, computer, and what not, into a small aluminum box, which will be located inside the cab.

Anyway, that's just a small part of what's been done so far, and we still have a ton to go. Although I haven't taken any pictures up to this point, if there's enough interest in here, I can start taking pictures and giving updates on the progress. So let me know. Also,  if you have any experience at your local track and want to share some tips, secrets, cheats or whatever, I'm all ears!

Plan on doing Midvale, unless they drop the class next year, then we'll take it to the dirt. Do you know Marion Kelly? He used to run modifieds @ Midvale. He's the friend that I'm building this with. Initially, this build was supposed to be for his 16 yr old son, and doesn't want to put him into anything fast right now, until he gets a little experience. That is if he still wants to or not, cause he's not really showing any interest, so we're not sure if he's going to want to drive it or not. If not, we'll just run it for shits and giggles.

Sorry, don't know him. I haven't been to Midvale in eight years or so and haven't been a weekly regular there in twenty or so. I was brought up on the dirt tracks because that's what my Dad raced and now I go to Hilltop about every week.

Thinking of going to Wayne County for the All Star Sprints this coming Monday, they are a blast.

Edited by bandit12

I kind of doubt it about the 4th because there is nothing on their schedule, the 5th is a regular night for them except that it will be mid season championships.

Now this Monday the 24th is their night for the Ohio Sprint Speedweek and UNOH All Stars haven't been able to confirm that Tony will be there but if you want to see him local, Monday will be the best bet. Last year he was there in his sprint and won his heat race then finished 7th in the feature.

You have to run stock motor and tranny, and it definitely won't be a beast! Lol! But like I said before, this was initially for his 16 yr old son, and he was all for it at the start. But now he's got a girlfirend, and at 16, you know which head is doing all the thinking now. So it's still yet to be determined who's gonna drive the turd.

You have to run stock motor and tranny, and it definitely won't be a beast!. So it's still yet to be determined who's gonna drive the turd.

You build it, I will drive it.

My Resume:

-Working right foot :D

Seriously though, it sounds like fun!

Yeah, I am a dirt track race guy for about 8 years now.  Work on a crew for a guy at all the big shows, and any smaller show I can attend.  He runs Attica, Hilltop, Eldora(Tony owns Eldora FYI and I've met him a ton of times), Brushcreek, Oakshade, Waynesfield, and hopefulyl he will run Portsmouth this year.

They run trucks at Attica a few times a year and Lima has a great truck series, but that's a haul for you.  He has 3 late models, 2 running and one being built at their race shop from a new manufacture, along with an Emod too.

We just were at the Dream at Eldora from Thurs - Sun earlier this month and have Attica/Oakshade weekend for summer nationals Hell Tour middle of July.  He wasn't able to run the Dream this year due to some shavings they found the week of in the oil pan and decided not to take the car to a big track where it's top end all the time.  He had run Eldora earlier in the season and we spent the night working with him, saw a 1 second drop since last season on his first trip back, so we hope he can run end of the season there and see more improvements.

It's so much better than pavement and anyone who thinks those Napcar drivers are all the best need to know that 90% of them came from dirt track backgrounds and can wheel them.  However, most are NOT as fast as the top dirt trackers and in the end Napcar sucks.  It really is the lamest racing out there compared to anything, even go karts. 

Good luck with your racing, if you have any questions or make it to Attica or Lima, let me know, love to meet ya.

When Rocky is racing he is one we have helped out before too.  He was actually the first DLM I ever met/saw up close.  I grew up with him from the neighborhood.  His car was stored at his parents when he started and we lived .5 miles apart.

We help him, Chance sometimes, but mainly Matt Irey #36.  My dad is at about 90% of his races, I make all the big shows and try to make several smaller ones too.  They are all out of Mansfield, contrary to where car owners etc are, their shops are all local though. 

I never did make Midvale when I dated a girl from Gnaddenhutten, mainly cuz it wasn't her kinda thing.  My wife goes with us though pretty often now.