My Ride On The Devils Hwy, Az 191

cOoTeR

I went on a ride yesterday up AZ 191. This was my first time I did the whole route. The good part of 191 is 90 miles long. It was harder than the tail of the dragon. Had every type of corner from sweepers, hair pins, decreasing+ increasing radius, cambered + off camber, up hill down hill and tight + open curves. It had some 2mile+ open straights. Very little traffic no cops. It had all kinds of elevation changes and environments. We started in the desert valley went into the forest out to mountain farm land then to the top of the mountain where temps were 30* cooler than the bottom. Also it was way longer than the tail of the dragon. The first 90 miles were great and that doesn't include the roads we took down into New Mexico which were a nice relaxing cool down ride (even though the temps. climbed from 84* to 111*. We stopped in Alpine AZ for lunch. Best road I've ever been on.

Here's some videos of the ride. I wasn't out racing my way up there so don't expect crazy knee down videos. Not being familiar with the road I was just cruising along because there is no margin for error. If you crash there are no nearby hospitals or many places for a helicopter to land. On top of that there is no cell service so someone has to ride until they can call for emergency services. So basically if you have a serious injury you will die up there. With no guard railsafter the first couple of miles, rock faces and cliff edges the likelihood of a serious injury is high. I couldn't film the whole ride my battery in my camera went dead not even a 1/4 of the way up even though I was only recording bits and pieces. I recorded it on a wide angle lens so a lot of the corners don't appear as sharp as they really are. Sorry about the wind noise I recorded it with my contour HD which is horrible with wind noise.

Edited by cOoTeR

Looks like a sweet road.

When I was in Sedona, AZ, I rented a motorcycle ( Harley from Eagle Riders) and rode 89A to Jerome, AZ, and then on to Flagstaff.

The elevation changes a few thousand feet in the span of just a few miles, you could really feel the temp change. The scene changes from desert to pine trees is drastic.

We stopped in small town called Happy Jack, AZ, for a gas stop and fuel.

Love the roads in AZ.

thanks for the invite!

Next time I will. I didn't think you wanted to ride 3hrs to meet up then ride another 2 to get there. Wasn't sure if you'd wanba be around my work friends either. I definitely wanna do it again this year. But it'll probably have to wait until early fall after the monsoon season. How much notice do you need for work?

Next time I will. I didn't think you wanted to ride 3hrs to meet up then ride another 2 to get there. Wasn't sure if you'd wanba be around my work friends either. I definitely wanna do it again this year. But it'll probably have to wait until early fall after the monsoon season. How much notice do you need for work?

Depends on available days etc... Not much needed. I'm not gonna do much long riding until fall when it cools down anyways... Whenever I plan to head out, I'll hit you up and see what's going on

That is awesome. So how far from Prescott is that? My fiancée aunt has a place out there and invited us out whenever we want. So naturally my first thought was the need to rent a motorcycle there

• Upvote 1