Jim And Angela's 2013 Us Tour

wantahertzdonut

So we're back in the country, so to say.  I'm weeks behind on the blog for no good reason other than being in Alaska for the last week.  I have a lot of typing to do and a lot of catching up in general.  I have a long blog post that needs editing that I hope to get up tonight or tomorrow, then Yellowstone, Glacier, Seattle, then Alaska.  Currently in Olympic NP and will have a little writing of all this awesomness.

Glad you're following along and there's much more to come, I promise!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still behind on the blog, but made a big update tonight covering our Yellowstone experience.  Currently typing up our week in Bozeman, MT.

At the moment we're in Novato, CA.  Found some great riding, and got reminded that not all of CA is warm and toasty.  You buggers in Cleveland have had a warmer fall than we have had anywhere the entire west coast! 

Lots to come on the blog, I promise.  My only holdup is planning where to go next.  National parks have been on hold since those assholes in Washington can't get their heads on straight and closed everything down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In Vegas for a couple more days. I have more posts in the blog and will be adding more today and tomorrow.

I recommend to all of youmaking the trip to Death Valley at some point in your life and bring a dual sport. Its awesome down there, and probably the most motorcycle friendly park out there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Finally all caught up on the blog http://jimandangelatravel.wordpress.com/

Out of Vegas and currently in Arizona enjoying the sun and relative warmth.  We were hoping to be in Austin, TX by now but the weather there, like most of the country, has been rather frigid.  There's good riding to be had here among other activities.  Also doing a few mods to the truck.

Feel free to make any comments in the blog, and at least check out the pictures.  There's lots of them!

• 4 weeks later...

Arrived in Austin Jan 8. Much busier than we expected! I knew the city is growing exponentially but the flurry of people and traffic still caught us off guard.

We've seen a few shows, made some friends, and did a little riding. Texas Hill Country offers a few curves but we haven't found anything that I'd call twisty yet.

I have blog posts for Tucson that I hope to upload today if we make it to a library.

I also have a job interview in Jupiter, FL. Not a place that I thought I'd settle but the company is growing fast. Plus, Palm Beach International Raceway is there, with track days. We'll see what happens.

• 2 months later...

So I've left this alone for a bit because I had a lousy internet connection in Austin.

FL isn't happening.  They gave me an offer, and a start date 11 days out from the offer.  No way could I get everything from TX, then get everything in storage in OH to FL, then get a place to live, and get through all the drug testing and background check BS.  I asked to negotiate the date, they without so much as thinking about it rescinded the offer.  I guess working for them has really got to suck, I dodged a bullet.

We stayed in Austin and had a great time.  We saw tons of great bands, met some of the nicest people in the world, and I even tracked down the only friend of mine from high school that I'm sad to have lost contact with; he lives in Austin and is a full time musician.  Pretty awesome. 

While we were sad to leave Austin, we were ready to get back on the road.  I was smiling as we pulled onto US290 and eventually I-10 heading west.  We overnighted in Fort Stockton, then took US285 north toward Carlsbad, NM.  We visited Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe National Parks over the course of a week, before proceeding to Albuquerque where we are now.  We'll be here a week.  Hoping to do some riding but it's super windy and temps are significantly below the forecasts.  We'll explore anyway and either head south to Silver City, or west to Petrified Forest NP.

• 2 weeks later...

We extended our stay in Albuquerque one extra week because we realized our travel plans were putting us one week ahead of the warm weather. Finally got some riding in up that way and did some other sightseeing as well.

Today we drove to Silver City, NM where we'll stay a week before going to either Holbrook or Tucson, AZ before going to Phoenix. Planning on some riding in these parts as well as meeting up with travel friends we met while in Austin.

Hopefully the fucking wind dies down. It's been sustained 20+mph wind in NM every day we've been here.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've discovered Silver City is or should be on every motorcyclist's radar. There are a bunch of very unpopulated and very twisty roads right out of town, and if you have a dual sport, this is your paradise.

The scenery is something else, from canyons, to mountain passes, to massive copper mines.

Route 15 is just one road that I'll do a separate ride report, but its 44 miles one way of constant left-right turns. No traffic and no cops either. After 4 hours of riding out and back, I felt like I was at a trackday. The Dragon and its police presence can suck it!

We also met up with some traveler friends who recommended coming here for several day hikes into the wilderness. It's a surreal experience and has been a blast. The activities make the troubles we had getting here well worth it.

Yep, still at it.  Heading toward AZ next week but we have to fly back to Cleveland for 3 weeks shortly after.  Dad's getting treated for cancer so we wanted to be around for that. 

My plan is to type up the ride report tonight for NM 15 and NM 152.  I may even take my SV up some of the dirt roads in the area to see what they're like firsthand.  Who needs a dual-sport? :D

Enjoying. Thanks for sharing. I have missed your UP report, and will need to back track. Smiled a lot on the accounts in the Pacific Northwest.....them were the days.....super deal....great adventure.

Found it for you, I missed the title but it's in there

http://jimandangelatravel.wordpress.com/?s=upper+peninsula