Anyone Here Into Enfields?

speedytriple

Funny you mention Lee Enfields.  I used to be into them - they're great rifles and .303 Brittish used to be really easy to get at specialty shops and gun shows.  Alas I sold my last Number 4 Mk II about five years ago, as well as the historical book and literature I collected with them.  I wish I hadn't.  They're worth about $100-450 depending on exact model, markings and condition.  Check out http://www.amazon.com/British-Enfield-Rifles-Lee-Enfield-Collectors/dp/1882391241/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373473910&sr=8-3&keywords=enfield for the best book on the subject, and Google around for web sites and forums that talk about the markings.

I have a 1942 model with the battle sight and at some point in it's history, the buttstock had been repaired.   The rifle is my favorite as far as shooting and very accurate, especially with the battle sight deployed - too bad ammo is a PITA to find in large quantities. 

I have 3 enfields at this point, a No1MK3 a Pattern 1914 and a No5 Jungle carbine.  A 1943 manufacture date could place your buddies gun most likely as a No4 model.  As for markings, google "lee enfield markings"  lots of great reference websites are available.  My No1Mk3 is dated at 1911 for the manufature date and has more stampings and marking than you can shake a stick at.  Those Brits sure know how to record everything possible on the barrels and recievers of these guns.

As for ammo availablility, sorry I have no clue where a good place is to get it these days.  I have been making my own for almost 2 years now and have close to 1k rounds as of the last count.  The two big brands back in the day were the Prvi-Partizan stuff and the Sellier & Bellot.  Both companies load really nice shooting ammo in .303 Brit, the brass on the S&B is reloadable but never tried the prvi.  If you see it floating around, avoid the milsurp ammo made in pakistan.  It will have a POF headstamp.  The box of that stuff I purchased was absolute trash.  Really bad hangfires and even a squib load that stuck a bullet 3 inches down the bore in my gun.  Ruined the range day for me and took stinking 2 hours to get back out of the barrel.

If you handload for the .303 brit be aware that the bullet diameter is actually .311-.312,  A standard .308 caliber bullet will not be acurate in these guns.

Yup, it's a No4 series gun.  You can always tell due to the barrel extending out past the end of the wood by so much.  The older No1Mk3 guns the barrel is flush with the front of the rifle.  Here are the pictures of mine.  In order as the No1Mk3, P-1914, No5 Jungle carbine.

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_5502.jpg

IMG_5521.jpg

The No5 Jungle carbine in the last picture is an offshoot of your buddies gun.  It shares the same reciever, bolt and sights but was then cut down by the factory to be a lightweight option for soldiers

I'd personally put it at $150-175 in this market, but yea, its hard to say. Others know more than I do but I saw that Enfield buyers usually are 1) picky collectors looking for a deal but willing to buck up for special pieces, 2) milsurp fans willing to shell out 100-200 for a cosmetically good, great shooter, or 3) someone looking to sportsterize a cheap hunting platform closer to $100 plus goodies.

I bought my #4 in 1992 for $60, its in great shape with practically a new barrel, of course it was rebuilt but still. anyhow, its a 1942 manufacture stamped "U.S. Property" made by Savage Arms for the British Gov't. before we got into the war, it was never delivered to England. I would say also around $2-300 as many don't know what they are and ammo can be dodgy. Strangely, India I know used them as their front line weapon until recently, they may well still use it, and as far as I know, made them in Ishapore for quite awhile, at least into the 70's if I remember correctly. Yes, avoid the Paki crap. Good luck, I would keep it if I were you.

Aim Surplus in Hamilton OH. Mail order from them is quick.

Prvi Partizan PPU .303Brit 174grn FMJ 20rd Box

Prvi Partizan PPU .303 Brit 150grn SP 20rd Box

Same thing at Cabela's is 17.99-18.99, plus 3 other brands

don't mail order ammo to home from Cabela's, send it to the store and pick it up. Cabela's backorders stuff too often.

edit: PPU (PriviPartizan) is a Serbian NATO quality ammunition source.

Edited by ReconRat

My buddy just picked up a 1943 enfield pretty clean and numbers matching. What are the values on these rifles? And any links to help find out more about the markings on it would be helpful..

There are several variables to effect cost/pricing. Is the bolt, receiver and forward part of the stock matching? Condition of the 2 or 6 groove rifling barrel? Is it Savage marked? There is a number on the bolt head (0,1,2,3) this determines condition of throat erosion and the larger the number, the more rounds that have been down the pipe. A lot of things matter but let's say it is matching and a nice pipe, we sell them in the $250 to $275 range. I also agree with what's been said about the available ammo. We sell the Privi stuff for $16.50 a box. If you can find Greek HXP ( on clips in bandoliers), that is the best and reloadable to boot. I just took in a couple or the UF55 guns which were the last NO4's made for the UK military ROF contract. They are brand new condition guns from 1955 and sweet! Downside the wife is making me put one or two up for sale.

We do the bill goodman gun shows in Dayton and Sharonville and specialize in hand picked C&R guns. Bring it by and I can headspace check it and give you a value on it for free. As a collector of Enfields, I always like looking at them.