Any Horse Owners On Or?

baptizo

Okay, so I'm thinking about taking up riding lessons and potentially buying a horse at some point in the future.  Preferably a draft horse like the Clydesdale or Percheron but I need to insure it's something I'm going to stick with long-term since horses can be expensive and can also live 30+ years.  

So, are there any horse owners out there on OR?  

My ex had a horse.. It consumed their lives... Always cleaning up after it, fixing shit it tore up, feeding it, chasing it after it escaped from the fences..... Rode it for a few years then got bored of it and stopped... Then it became pretty much unrideable... Don't do it man, it may sound cool now, but you will regret it

• Upvote 2

Use to have one, you are right they are expensive. Why do you want a draft horse and not something you can ride, also are you thinking about boarding one or do you have enough room for pasture.

• Upvote 1

Use to have one, you are right they are expensive. Why do you want a draft horse and not something you can ride, also are you thinking about boarding one or do you have enough room for pasture.

I'm looking more at the temperament than anything else and draft horses are typically calm, laid back, and not easily spooked - a well broke one would be ideal for a beginner such as myself and I'm only looking at trail riding, nothing else.  

That's assuming I can even find one but just about any horse breed can fit that description.  I'll also have to pay for boarding so that's the extra expense on a monthly/yearly basis until I can find some land with ample pasture.....preferably an old farm in the area.  

Butters makes a good point, though, about the long term aspect of owning one, but for me, I just need to learn more about them and if it's the right thing for me to do.  

Take the riding lessons and see if you enjoy it, my guess is if you board one you'll probably get tied of all the expense and end up selling it. They are pretty cool to have kinda like a real big dog.

• Upvote 2

Take the riding lessons and see if you enjoy it, my guess is if you board one you'll probably get tied of all the expense and end up selling it. They are pretty cool to have kinda like a real big dog.

Research via the interwebz is indicating that riding lessons + leasing a horse at some point is the way to go, at least for the first couple of years.  I've located a few boarding corrals with lessons in the area and will start calling around - hell, if it gets me out on the weekends it'll be $$$ well spent.  

And I might even meet some nice womenz, too.  

You can ride draft horses I ride Belgians. They make great riding horses not as fast as a quarter horse but they'll ride all day. Plus they are like riding a kitchen table its hard to fall off of them. I also pole bend and barrel my belgians. They are just a little slower thats all

We've got two.  One will have a foal in August.  It can be expensive, but if you enjoy it, you can find ways to cut your costs.  Some barns will let you clean your own stall do reduce your board.  I agree with your plan.  Find a good friendly barn that has lessons, then lease a horse for a month or so.  If you enjoy it, go for it.

Take a look at Halflingers too.  They look like a smaller Clydesdale./draft horse.  They are work horse, so they are stocky, and they have a good temperment.

Good Luck!

Got 4, they're cheaper and easier to care for than dogs if you have land. I broke the one foxtrotter years ago when i was into it. i literally have not done anything with them since I put them on pasture this spring, which i rotate 3 pastures so they always gave food. Ive pet one or two in 5 months and walk the one smart one back from the neighbors down the road when she escapes to see her friends once in a while. They have a auto waterer in the field or spring hole, walk in stalls. Might have the Ferrier out once a year, there hooves wear naturally. They take care of themselves. I briefly watch them for signs of injury daily. Then winter, it's grain and a bale of hay a day and refreshing the water. Point is, they're like yard pets, my kids show interest once in a long while. I'm the horse butler.

• Upvote 1

Research via the interwebz is indicating that riding lessons + leasing a horse at some point is the way to go, at least for the first couple of years.  I've located a few boarding corrals with lessons in the area and will start calling around - hell, if it gets me out on the weekends it'll be $$$ well spent.  

And I might even meet some nice womenz, too.

Lessons and leasing is what I would recommend until you know you'll like it. We have 2. I have to say that I actually like getting up in the morning and spending time with them while I feed and clean stalls. 1 word of caution based on your statement about meeting some womenz, 99.99% of women with horses are 100% bat shit crazy.

1 word of caution based on your statement about meeting some womenz, 99.99% of women with horses are 100% bat shit crazy.

I am going to have to agree with you based on my own experience around women who own horses or at least one in particular in WV that is the definition of bat shit crazy.

1 word of caution based on your statement about meeting some womenz, 99.99% of women with horses are 100% bat shit crazy.

This...  I know several, and most of them are at least a little "off."

My dad has had mini horses for years, at times he's had 10 or more.  Lot's of work.  The mini's can't be ridden by adults (I think around 75 pound weight limit) but they do great pulling carts, etc...  My dad hitched 8 of them for parades!  He's actually backing off and doing 6 these days.  

My neighbor has 3 big horses (rescues) and is using them for equine therapy, riding is good for people with various disabilities, such as my son with cerebral palsy.  From what I've seen, a big part of their temperment has to do with how they are trained, in addition to their breeding.

I highly recommend getting with someone with years of experience taking care of horses to help you along, not just in getting started, but over the next couple of years, as you WILL need help!