Chain Slack

mfs81

I think some of you might be over doing the it's too tight thing.   here's a pic of ben spies R1.   it's not that loose either.

5034512830_2475011c01_o.jpg

So you ride as well as Ben Spies?

I bet his suspension is way better for how he rides vs. your suspension. My point is riders at Spies level ride right on the edge of almost crashing and out of control. So setting your bike up based on a pretty picture of his probably isn't the best way to go.

I bet his suspension is way better for how he rides vs. your suspension. My point is riders at Spies level ride right on the edge of almost crashing and out of control. So setting your bike up based on a pretty picture of his probably isn't the best way to go.

Holy....  What happened here?

READ BELOW

Edited by whattheheck

lol. you're totally not understanding what I am talking about lol.  some of the guys said the chain should be hanging down like it looks like it has a droop to it.   

that's a bit excessive.  so I posted a picture I happen to have of a World Superbike and it's chain is kind of straight.  straighter than mine and it has 1.5" slack.

and I highly doubt it's slapped together for pics.

Edited by serpentracer

Results will judge. If it hums and drones a tune, it's clearly too tight. If it drivetrain jerks in transitions during gear changes, it's probably too loose. Running toward the tight side will accelerate wear, from what I've seen. But if you're regular about buying chains and sprockets, it matters not. I try to run a little on the tight side, to get some mileage between adjustments. If you're adjusting the chain a lot, it's a cheap chain, the o-rings are shot, or it's failing.

And yes, my last chain ran to near failure. It appeared a pin had broken on one side. Ready to let go. Taking a link out to get an extra year out of it was not a wise idea. Could only have been worse if I had removed the bad link and riveted in another to get yet another year. Ha. Actually, the chain was way noisy, cleary bad and time to replace.

The most prevailent cause of chain failure is using a metal brush on the chain when cleaning it. Which damages the o-rings. When some of the o-rings are gone, it's over. When inspecting, you can see them if looking closely. They should all be there.