Manufacture Bike Ideas

whattheheck

Ok so today went with a friend to Suzuki dealership up near Delaware. Saw some nice bikes. Gently used and new. I like how the sales rep was. Pretty laid back and cool. Then went to Iron Pony amd look at a few bikes as well. Kept looking at the Yamaha's and Kawasaki's. very impressive display. And then just got from ASK motorsports. So currently up in the air. I want to stay with Kawasaki and Yamaha's. what does everyone recommend? I really like the R1's and R's... Oh NICE!!!

Speak up pupils!...lol

If you're really into Kawi, I'd go with a Ninja 250 or 500, the twin will allow you to learn without getting you into too much trouble if/when you mishandle the controls...

a R1 or ZX-10 are not reccomended by most people to be a first or "almost" first bike... the power and torque can get you into a lot of trouble if you accidentally do something you didn't mean to do.

Edit, if you're looking for a yamaha, this one might be a good option

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/102346-2003-yamaha-yzf600r/

not as crazy as a r6, but still plenty of power, and not a bank breaker.

Edited by magley64

Very very small experience. Ive decide to go with a used unit thou!

Ok, you are going to have to give us more than this if you want a reco:

1, years riding

2, bikes owned/current past

3, where will you ride

4, what is your intended purpose, Primary, secondary, tertiary

(Commute, tour, track days, straight line speed, stunting, dirt)

5, any two up

6, biographics = how big are you (height, weight, inseam) and age (20s, 30s, ...)

7, why do you want a bike an/or what is the primary driver for wanting one

In general, sportbikes (aka crotch rockets) are not ideal first or even second bike. There are some variants of these bikes that are more suited to a newer rider that when operated with skill, can be every bit as fast on public roads and the track. Bonus, is that insurance is lower and they can actually allow you to become a better rider, quicker.

IMHO Best starter bike: 05-06 SV650 - Enough power to do whatever you want, but not too much power that you'll end up on your back if you mess up.  Handles very well, comfortable, good gas mileage, and usually a very decent price. I know a few people selling bikes on here that are very clean.

Comfortable 2 up as well, good for twisties, slabbing, racing, etc.

Although it is a Suzuki which steers away from Kawasaki and Yamaha.

Edited by DerekClouser

IMHO Best starter bike: 05-06 SV650 - Enough power to do whatever you want, but not too much power that you'll end up on your back if you mess up.  Handles very well, comfortable, good gas mileage, and usually a very decent price. I know a few people selling bikes on here that are very clean.

about those SV's for sale....I'm one of those guys selling one :crazy:

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/102068-fs-2005-suzuki-sv650s/?hl=sv650s

needs NOTHING sides tires in the next riding season or two.

If you're really into Kawi, I'd go with a Ninja 250 or 500, the twin will allow you to learn without getting you into too much trouble if/when you mishandle the controls...

a R1 or ZX-10 are not reccomended by most people to be a first or "almost" first bike... the power and torque can get you into a lot of trouble if you accidentally do something you didn't mean to do.

Edit, if you're looking for a yamaha, this one might be a good option

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/102346-2003-yamaha-yzf600r/

not as crazy as a r6, but still plenty of power, and not a bank breaker.

That's a nice one.  The color not so desire....LOL

Ok, you are going to have to give us more than this if you want a reco:

1, years riding

2, bikes owned/current past

3, where will you ride

4, what is your intended purpose, Primary, secondary, tertiary

(Commute, tour, track days, straight line speed, stunting, dirt)

5, any two up

6, biographics = how big are you (height, weight, inseam) and age (20s, 30s, ...)

7, why do you want a bike an/or what is the primary driver for wanting one

In general, sportbikes (aka crotch rockets) are not ideal first or even second bike. There are some variants of these bikes that are more suited to a newer rider that when operated with skill, can be every bit as fast on public roads and the track. Bonus, is that insurance is lower and they can actually allow you to become a better rider, quicker.

1. 2 months

2. Never

3. IDK, any place pretty much

4. Normal Commute and hanging with people.  Speed very high once I get comfortable with the bike and everything.  But not to get a ticket.

5. Sorry not sure what that means...

6. 5'5 175ibs

7. Just want one no specific reason.  Why not have one?

I was considering starting down low in the 250 ranges for CC's.  Most people I have talked to think that's best for me right now.  Until I get the hang of things.

2 months of riding is absolutely ready for an R1. Don't listen to these lame assholes with their 250cc's of grandma power recommendation. If you don't have at least 150hp to the rear wheel you're considered a wimpy schmuck in the bro motorcycle circles

• Upvote 2

2 months of riding is absolutely ready for an R1. Don't listen to these lame assholes with their 250cc's of grandma power recommendation. If you don't have at least 150hp to the rear wheel you're considered a wimpy schmuck in the bro motorcycle circles

this made me giggle, hell with a r1 he could keep up with turnone :)

Honestly, all these "Ninja 250 cause your a newbie" isn't always the right responses.  There are slews of guys that can buy a new generation 600 or something like an R1, etc and be perfectly fine.  It's the education you intend on getting that will make you a better rider.  Meaning, worry less about the bike and more about MSF, track days and one on one or seat time, etc.

Get on a dirty bike and understand movement, understand the challenges.

I can promise you that a majority of riders out there don't have as much training and education as they should.  Pot calling kettle black type of thing a load of times.  

But, understand alos that there are a TON of well educated riders on here and when they tell you most do not buy into a higher end sportbike, they are being realistic.  It's just a lot of power.  But more importantly, it is how quickly you can get into trouble.  There is a VERY small allowance of error that won't bite you in the ass...

I too suggest something smaller.  I just hate the fact that everyone jumps on and blasts a guy that wants a liter bike as they have no idea as to where the guy's head is.

If I answer the 7 questions posed, it won't mean jack shit.  The level of mental ability is what will thin the heard if you will...

• Upvote 1

If i personally would of started out w a 750 gsxr...I can guarantee id of dropped it or be dead. I like speed, and shit doesn't everybody? Do I need the 125hp or so to the wheel? NO...but if its something your mature enough to handle...to each is their own.

sent from double thumbin' it

4. Normal Commute and hanging with people. Speed very high once I get comfortable with the bike and everything. But not to get a ticket.

This reason alone tells me you aren't ready for a big bike. I'd start on a 250-500. Then slowly.... Slowly upgrade. And in 10 years you can get a 1000.

• Upvote 1

Derek, glad to be your signature.... Lol