My Custom Built Semi Auto Black Rifle

everoblivion2005

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Nope dont think i mis-read. He clearly said $2900 invested in his 6.8 build. I pointed out that was a shit-ton. I then also asked why he wanted a 338 AR.

I misread your post then. Sorry bout that.

And I think I was just tired enough to forget that most SASS are based on AR platforms.

I agree enphatically with both of your points. A $900 AR will do the job just as well as a LWRC as long as you keep it clean. Lots of times they get to fancy or tolerances are so tight the weapon doesn't run as well. Thats why if I ever get a long distance rifle, it'll be a M82/M107/or a bolt .338 lapua

Edited by BDBGoalie

• 4 weeks later...

$2900??  Holy shit. You could have had one of the best gunsmiths in the business build you a 100% custom for that and been way better off both in parts and performance. 

Example:  http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2013-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

Can I ask why you want a .338 AR platform? 

Yea 700 of that was the optic and that that and the fact that the weapon came with a standard A2 stock rather than the optional one pictured would make the one you gave as an example more expensive .  I really started liking the EcoTech sight on my M4 in the Airforce, much faster target acquisition than Irons (for me at least).

And the .338 SASS is bust, that one that I thought I found is .338 Fed not .338 Lapua, darn.  Really just want to build it for the unique, hobbyist and fun factor not to mention the SHTF potential.  I was q'd with BA and SA rifles in the AF even getting to use the Barret M98 and M98B back to back.  No matter how hard you try or how smooth you are with a bolt, target re-acquisition is hindered not only by recoil but by operating the action, this was especially a problem when dealing with a group of multiple targets.

Edited by everoblivion2005

Yea 700 of that was the optic and that that and the fact that the weapon came with a standard A2 stock rather than the optional one pictured would make the one you gave as an example more expensive .  I really started liking the EcoTech sight on my M4 in the Airforce, much faster target acquisition than Irons (for me at least).

And the .338 SASS is bust, that one that I thought I found is .338 Fed not .338 Lapua, darn.  Really just want to build it for the unique, hobbyist and fun factor not to mention the SHTF potential.  I was q'd with BA and SA rifles in the AF even getting to use the Barret M98 and M98B back to back.  No matter how hard you try or how smooth you are with a bolt, target re-acquisition is hindered not only by recoil but by operating the action, this was especially a problem when dealing with a group of multiple targets.

I understand what your saying about uniqueness of a 338 AR platform but when you talk about recoil and action manipulation causing target acquisition problems on a bolt rifle, you don think your going to have recoil issues with  338AR? :) The chances of a SHTF scenario where you need the stopping power of a 338 in a semi platform is about slim to none. Besides, if you cant hit your target, it doest matter what caliber your running. I would venture to say that 98% of people could not hit a 12" target at 400 yards. Let alone do it on the first shot. A quality .223/5.56 is plenty accurate to 700+ yards with the right ammo/shooter. Yeah windy days beat it up at distance though. If you want something different, can get ammo for and is still  a bit unique, check out an AR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Its a great cartridge.

I understand what your saying about uniqueness of a 338 AR platform but when you talk about recoil and action manipulation causing target acquisition problems on a bolt rifle, you don think your going to have recoil issues with  338AR? :) The chances of a SHTF scenario where you need the stopping power of a 338 in a semi platform is about slim to none. Besides, if you cant hit your target, it doest matter what caliber your running. I would venture to say that 98% of people could not hit a 12" target at 400 yards. Let alone do it on the first shot. A quality .223/5.56 is plenty accurate to 700+ yards with the right ammo/shooter. Yeah windy days beat it up at distance though. If you want something different, can get ammo for and is still  a bit unique, check out an AR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Its a great cartridge.

yea the 338 idea came up while I was budgeting parts for an AR-10 in 308 with the end goal being a long distance rifle.  Think I'll go back to the 308 idea.