Ohio Roads Comparatively

Blitz

Whether it's heavy trucks, harsh winters, or not enough money (in my mind it's none of the above), Ohio roads are some of the worst that I've been on.

It's not the winters either. Iowa has far worse Winters than we do and their roads are smooth and solid everywhere. Very few potholes. I don't know what it is about Ohio roads, but 75% of them are potholed, crumbling and extremely hard on vehicles. It seems to me that the problem is the materials Ohio uses to construct roads that is the problem.

There is a test patch of road between Delaware and Marion that has been in good shape for years. I don't know why they don't change the material they use to make roadways because there are states that do it far better than we do.

We pay income taxes, gas taxes, and still have to have an alignment 4 times a year. Guess it keeps the auto service industry making money....but I can't help but thinking it would be beneficial for the economy if consumers could spend that money elsewhere instead of on vehicle repairs.

Anyone have any idea why Ohio roads are so bad compared to elsewhere in the US?

It's been debated other places than this.  There are advanced road materials that are very durable like rubberized asphalt.  They are not widely used.   

I am not in that industry, I know a few who are.  Those who award road contracts do no have a reason to insist on better materials.  Also, If you use better materials, roads need repaired less often, and road contruction companies get less work...or at least that's what I've heard.

:dunno:

I've lived all over.  I've driven in the majority of the States.  To me, Ohio's roads are "comparable" to others.  Yes, there are some outright horrible ones...same as everywhere.  

Lol.  Heavy trucks, "harsh winters", no money...LOL.  

"Iowa has far worse winters" ... far worse than Hawaii maybe.

Go to Europe for good roads.

When I moved here almost 6 yrs back I found roads around Ohio to be fantastic compared to the roads back home in Michigan.  Rode up to Traverse City in July to see my mom and rode back by the old house and OMG the roads were even worse.  Bone jarring bad.  Rode through Kentucky last month and those roads were sweet, even better than here.  But 70 through Indiana and Illinois suck bad.  Rode out west a couple years back.  Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, SD, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, roads were great like Kentucky, but once I crossed the Mississippi on 70, and the road reminded me I was back east.  We were only on 2 lanes until mid Missouri and on home.  Except, I had to run across i-90 IN Sd and part of Wyoming, legal at 75 mph.  Ran that fast up i-75 to TC and damn that was a bone jarring ride.

Edited by ohiomike

Comparatively speaking,I think our roads are pretty good.I've been to/thru close to 15 states this year and I don't see where ours are any worse than most of the other states.Personally,I think a lot of our curvy stuff is better than most states that have comparable winters and terrain.

Iowa?Is there really that much good riding in Iowa?Most of our best riding is in the hilly southeastern part of the state.These same hills that makes the riding so good also tends to lead to a lot of slips.From my experience,a lot of the road construction each year is slip repairs.

Check into the ODOT site in march and see what paving projects are schedualed for the year and keep an eye on those roads.I can easily think of probably 10 good roads that have been paved in the last two years.You'll have plenty of fun roads to ride and it will be a little different each year as good roads are paved in different areas.Between now and 2017 there will be quite a few good roads paved under the STIP project...check it out.

Edited by drc32-0

Dunno about nationwide, but I've seen stretches of amazing roads in all the states I've been in....and, equally some flat out dangerous areas not suitable for four wheeled street machines.

This morning in Pa, crossed a "road crew"......shoveling asphalt into holes..steaming asphalt...leaving the pile about 3-6" HIGHER than surrounding surface...stfu, the roller presses it in..right?

no roller, no tamper not even the biggest fattest slob holding a shovel standing on it for a second or two...SOME of these were in the middle of a bend...I can't imagine hitting that in a bike at speed, we were stopped taking turns getting around so i was expecting it...

last week down around Bellville, some excellent stretches of scenic sweeping bends. Good bad and ugly all over this great state

The roads do seem to be in bad shape this year. I have noticed huge amounts of gravel out my way. In spots that I have never really noticed it before. No reason for the gravel to be there either. Its not pea sized gravel it is like driveway gravel. In some intersections I've found myself crawling through the turn.

The roads do seem to be in bad shape this year. I have noticed huge amounts of gravel out my way. In spots that I have never really noticed it before. No reason for the gravel to be there either. Its not pea sized gravel it is like driveway gravel. In some intersections I've found myself crawling through the turn.

I noticed with some of the insanely heavy rains, the same thing. didn't put two and two together till a customer was bitching about all the gravel that washed out of his driveway. 

We choose the government, and the government chooses the vendors.

Ultimately, almost every issue falls back on the voters. How many of us would agree to higher taxes for better roads? Maybe a lot of US would, but the rest of the state won't prioritize the same.

Until more people view it as a serious problem, there's no reason for the gov't to change anything.

We choose the government, and the government chooses the vendors.

Ultimately, almost every issue falls back on the voters. How many of us would agree to higher taxes for better roads? Maybe a lot of US would, but the rest of the state won't prioritize the same.

Until more people view it as a serious problem, there's no reason for the gov't to change anything.

You think the government still follows the will of the people.  That's adorable!

• Upvote 2