2013 Deer Season

grapesmuggler27

That's a cool pic! Probably wont believe this but I was in my climber last year and had one come down the tree and actually bite the button on top of my hat and start to pull it up. Freaked the hell out of me until I realized what was going on!

Pix from the trail cam in my backyard.  This 12pt is from two years ago and currently decorating my buddy's living room wall:

12pt_2010DecE.jpg

Here's a friend's catch from last weekend in SE Indiana:

IMG950180.jpg

And here's this year's best so far--a 10pt--from the backyard trail cam.  Coming in to the yard between 5:30 and 6 PM:

21324559-f939-430d-b2ce-aa65a8323649.jpg

My uncles kid got this last week. My uncle taught me most everything I know when I was younger about deer hunting and hunting, as he took me every year. It doesn't surprise me to see his son get a big one. Best deer hunter I know. That thing is huge.

post-9795-0-37642300-1384280169_thumb.jp

This one played peekaboo with me at 30 yards.  Can't see it in the picture, but off screen to the left is a doe that he was hanging out with.  Saw two other bucks and half a dozen or so does, including a small doe that literally walked under my stand.

IMG_20131109_083659_735_zps0f69e0a7.jpg

Doesnt look like you climb very high.. I usually try and get to 25-30 ft. 

This one played peekaboo with me at 30 yards.  Can't see it in the picture, but off screen to the left is a doe that he was hanging out with.  Saw two other bucks and half a dozen or so does, including a small doe that literally walked under my stand.

IMG_20131109_083659_735_zps0f69e0a7.jpg

Doesnt look like you climb very high.. I usually try and get to 25-30 ft. 

With four climbing sticks and Lone Wolf hang on I'm usually between 16 and 20 feet, depending on how far apart the sticks are spaced.  Plenty high for me and the recurve.  Looks a lot lower because I'm downhill from him.

The problem I've found with higher setups is the increased angle of the shot.  I don't shoot past 30 yards, for several reasons, and it's much easier to get a double lung from my height setup.

This is the buck I shot at the same spot last year.  Eighteen yards and it was a steep angle.  Still managed to get both lungs and he piled up after about 50 yards.

2012-11-07_17-42-04_622_zps01ef1bde.jpg

Hunting with a recurve.. Impressive!.

Thanks, but it's more common than you might think.  Just requires more periodic practice throughout the year, and there's plenty of really fun shoots during the summer.  I was the secretary for the Ohio Society of Traditional Archers for a few years (www.tradarchers.org) and it's a lot more fun than the more modern equipment based clubs I've been involved with.  Here's an older pic of me from the Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Damn you guys that live in the country, and can hunt in your backyard. I so need to move.

Nope.  Suburban SW Hamilton Cty.  I can be in downtown Cincinnati in under 20 min.  I get a lot of deer traffic because the north end of my property is under a Duke high voltage line and the bucks use the cut the same way you and I use the X-way to get around.  Duke right-of-way runs from down near the OH-IN border along the river east to the city.  Heavy underbrush for cover, low growth like Honeysuckle for browsing.  Perfect for hunting with a bow!!!

Points to you for not trying to take a shot at that.

There's a guy in minster that makes recurve bows. They are absolutely beautiful. He uses zebra wood and all kinds of rare wood accents. I'd love to get into it but is have to have one of these bows and they aren't heap but they shoot so nice.

So am i the only one here that takes a week off work for shotgun season and leaves the wife and kids behind?

Nope! Deer Camp 2013 in just a few weeks! I just pulled the shotgun out of the basement w/ gear to start prepping this weekend.

Yeah I have not seen a deer the three times I went out either.I hope shotgun is better then it has been.

Well I am all ready (minus truck brakes) for deer camp this year. All supplies are ready picking up my heater on Tuesday, with a new led lantern. If I can't get these damn brakes figured out it is going to be a fun ride down. Who has a lead on a brake booster for a 1989 chevy 2500 in stock? Who needs brakes anyway right, I will just go real slow. LOL!!!