Moto Series Track Day - Sport Bike Track Time Comparison

oldschoolsdime92

Completed my second track day this weekend. Granda080, Hoblick and myself ventured over to putnam. Hoblick rode intermediate, The novice class at this particular moto series session was completely different from STT.  We rode 7 session's with moto series, which was pretty cool compared to the 6 sessions we rode with STT. I was under the impression that moto series had less instruction and just kind of let you go, which ended up being the exact opposite. There was classroom after every single session, which got kind of hectic as the day went on, but wasn't bad. Lots more 1 on 1. Granda and I were the "fast" novice group and we were the only ones in the group. Lots of direct input on what we were doing and how we were riding and what to change. STT had classroom in the morning, and in the afternoon they turned us free. No passing in the corners, ride safe. Moto held us with the control rider all day. Never did get a free session.

STT focused a ton on body position, all day. They hit it hard non stop on the body position. They discussed the race line some, 

Moto series spent the entire morning hitting line work hard. They never mentioned body position until the 5th session. They stressed the linework real heavy, and helped me clean up my lines considerably. I didn't feel like i was "hunting" I was much more confident this track day ,than I was my first one. 

We played leap frog most of the afternoon. One rider out front, control rider and then the rest of the group behind the control rider. Once you hit the front straight the rider behind the control rider jumps out front and the previous leader falls to the back. This was cool , because you had direct feed back on what to change. The downside was that there was no passing. Period. Spent lots of time held up, but rules are rules, and I didn't want to freak anyone out by jumping a pass.

There was a girl with someone who was racing today, and him and the lead instructor had some words because the girl didn't feel she was going fast enough. Next thing I know the the guy and the girl are off, on the track doing their own thing. When the rules are no passing, your not expecting to get passed, especially  when your already being held up by a slower rider, and someone blows past them when they are under the impression there is no passing, it throws them off. I never totally figured out that situation, nor am I even worried about it. 

I would have enjoyed an open session, where we would be able to pass in the straights, but rules are rules. I always enjoy seat time.  Our control rider told us both we could jump to intermediate next time , which I'm not sure i'm totally comfortable with that on my currently tire set up.( angel St's) Weather was great, learned alot, and all in all was a good day. 

typically in motoseries, there is at least 1 "free" session for novice (more often, 2), but the coaches will get together and discuss whether the class is ready to be let loose or not.  i wasn't there, so I don't know what happened, but that's the norm.  were there a lot of crashes in novice?

that all said, i've ridden with every org except track tactics (and i've heard nothing but good things about them) and every one runs their program just a bit differently.  back when i rode with STT (and I rode with them a LOT when i started) they ran a more similar setup where the last 1 or 2 sessions were open sessions.

i would like to know what happened with the girl who started riding on her own though.

The german girl was riding a ducati of some sort, and the fellow she was with was on a panigale. No clue what happend then. He tossed a vest on and did his own thing.  German girl was very german. She didn't know how far 6 feet was.

We had a couple run offs. Nothing serious. All day our control rider told us we would get an open session, and the lead instructor ( sam wong) said lets just do leap frog. No idea why he did it that way. Sam was great though, and fun to chat with. I don't know who my control rider was( He said everyone called him captain lowside) , but he was great. I would ride with him any day! 

Session 7 leap frog. Things got kind of confusing. The control rider apparently wanted us to both go, so Granda and I were swapping back and fourth, on the front straight, and next thing I knew they were no where around, so I just kept making laps, just sorta cruising along. It was a riot as always. Just sorta felt held up. I learned alot though. It made me slow down and work on being smooth and hitting my lines better. 

I did 3 novice with Motoseries and all three had at least one open session at end.
The girl probably asked if she could get a control rider or coach to go out with her and see if she was ready to move to I group,

She had never been to a track day before. The words that seemed to go on between the guy she was with and Sam, didn't appear friendly.  She complained the track was bumpy, and slow.

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

Session 7 leap frog. Things got kind of confusing. The control rider apparently wanted us to both go, so Granda and I were swapping back and fourth, on the front straight, and next thing I knew they were no where around, so I just kept making laps, just sorta cruising along. It was a riot as always. Just sorta felt held up. I learned alot though. It made me slow down and work on being smooth and hitting my lines better.

She had never been to a track day before. The words that seemed to go on between the guy she was with and Sam, didn't appear friendly. She complained the track was bumpy, and slow.

Kinda odd that you would sign up for novice and complain it's too slow.

Heck,I'm slow in the I group and still pass a lot of riders.

There was alot of crashes all day i thought. Almost every session someone went down. Except in novice, i think no crashes.

The hyper performed great, lacking some power in the straights though. Love this damn thing on the track. Still getting the suspension dialed in though.

null_zps8967ab68.jpg

Rusty is who was leading the german chick around.

word, any idea what they were up too?  I sure would have been down for some passing! 

Your right, it did seem like there were a few crashs, but none in novice. 

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

I love the B group people who think they're being held up. I say put them in advanced and feed them to the bears... Then see how they feel about passing rules. <eye roll>

Ryan, is the GSXR sold, or did you just want some seat time on the hyper?

I think the "problem" (reality?) with most track days is that the bulk of your customer base is of an intermediate skill-level, but that is only 1/3 of what you can sell.

There are competing objectives with regard to placing people in the appropriate group, and registering enough participants to break even (let alone profit) on the event.

That's not meant to be a dig at any org or endorsement of any other - just an observation

I love the B group people who think they're being held up. I say put them in advanced and feed them to the bears... Then see how they feel about passing rules. <eye roll>

Ryan, is the GSXR sold, or did you just want some seat time on the hyper?

passing doesn't phase me, if I know its going to happen. When they've stated no passing, your in that mind set. being close doesn't bother me in the least bit. 

STT had classroom in the morning, and in the afternoon they turned us free. No passing in the corners, ride safe.

The downside was that there was no passing. Period. Spent lots of time held up, but rules are rules, and I didn't want to freak anyone out by jumping a pass.

When the rules are no passing, your not expecting to get passed, especially when your already being held up by a slower rider, and someone blows past them when they are under the impression there is no passing, it throws them off.

That was my biggest issue w the last STT day I went to. They set rules of no passing. We're talking Novice class, in turns, and in early seasons. But they weren't enforced. Happened repeatedly. Threw me off the rest of the day as I wasn't ready for or expecting it.

This space intentionally left blank to avoid offending anyone

There was alot of crashes all day i thought. Almost every session someone went down. Except in novice, i think no crashes.

The hyper performed great, lacking some power in the straights though. Love this damn thing on the track. Still getting the suspension dialed in though.

null_zps8967ab68.jpg

Nice riding with you neighbor...........I need to find some more HP in my motard!!!! lol

Was cool seeing a lot of OR guys and gals out there. That CR was freakin awesome. We'd hear it every time it blasted the straight and always brought a grin to my face.

Cool seeing Hob. The SP looked awesome. He was even very detailed with the tape job! Twisted and better half annoyed us all weekend. ;) Rusty was a hoot. And the Ducati Indy guys were awesome as usual.

I gotta say that Moto series was amazing today with the weather. VERY open to ideas on how to make the day work best with the rain. You don't see that elsewhere. It's typically "my way or the highway" with most.

Loads of fun Saturday. A few questionable bikes in advanced. Especially the 250s. They just are so much slower. Closing speeds were insane. But, nothing crazy or dangerous.

Wish today was like Saturday!!

I have done track days with three organizations so far. Moto Series was my first, so that sort of set the standard. I have done NESBA which was a good fit after doing 3-4 with Moto. Their format was a little less formal, but safety is still number one. I also did one at Mid Ohio with their PTR program. Also different but very fun. Amazing track and facility.

I think the hardest thing is to assess your ability relative to the rest of the group you are in. If too slow or too fast, no fun.

Either way, all of people in each org were awesome. Knowledgeable and fun to ride with.

IMHO.

• Upvote 1